Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2018, 10:50:24 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Laurel & Hardy
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Laurel & Hardy  ( 2888 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : June 10, 2010, 05:46:20 PM »

I bought lots of old slpastick movies lately and now I'm watching chronologically the Chaplin, Keaton and L&H short stuff.  The duo has always been my favorite comedians (together with neapolitan Totò) and I've bought the 21 dvd's box

plus  another box of "before the duo" stuff:

I've started with A Chump at Oxford, apprehending for the first time that the famous prologue of the "undressed" salad was shot for the european markets and was new to the american audiences.
Anyway, this is not among their greatest releases but it's above almost anything other people did. The scene in the maze has great moments but it's too long. And the finale is a bit rushed: one would have seen more of Stan as a genius. 8\10

I must add that the italian dubbing is something of an art in itself. The most famous Hardy's dubber was what I consider the italian best actor, Alberto Sordi. And actually the italian dubbing adds much to the final result, as it gives a bass voice to Hardy, augmenting the contrast. Also, some scenes in the italian version  fare better, notably this, where the song they substituted for the original is much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ2mpr1JMvQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qZZapTHFo&feature=related

« : June 10, 2010, 06:04:56 PM titoli »

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #1 : June 10, 2010, 06:08:01 PM »

Good on you posting this Titoli. O0

In my youth this stuff was never off the tv but nowadays we see nothing of it. :(

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : June 10, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »

Thank God that it's not the case over here. I grew up with them and they still are on tv. I hate the colourized versions, though. >:(

sargatanas
Gunslinger

« #3 : June 10, 2010, 06:44:59 PM »

this is sooo refreshing. thank you !

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : June 11, 2010, 02:37:29 AM »

Same here on rainy Saturday afternoons & evenings you could watch Stanlio & Olio on TV in the 50's, the independent NYC channels used them as filler, my Italian grandmother and I were entertained for hours, they always bring back good memories.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #5 : June 11, 2010, 05:11:53 AM »

The most famous Hardy's dubber was what I consider the italian best actor, Alberto Sordi.
Holy Time-lag, Batman! When was this dubbing performed, the 50s?

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #6 : June 11, 2010, 05:30:02 AM »

Holy Time-lag, Batman! When was this dubbing performed, the 50s?

I think he started in the 30's and into the 40's. He kept on dubbing until the early 50's:  in 1953 he became famous and dubbed only himself. But by then  L&H were long gone. I think he dubbed Hardy live when the Boys came to Italy for a tour. I saw an italian site where 6 couples are listed as dubbers.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #7 : June 11, 2010, 08:21:52 AM »

I think he started in the 30's and into the 40's. He kept on dubbing until the early 50's:  in 1953 he became famous and dubbed only himself.
He had a career as a dubber, and then became an actor? Huh, very interesting.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #8 : June 11, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »

He had a career as a dubber, and then became an actor? Huh, very interesting.

No, he did both at the same time until he became famous. From then on he just didn't have the time for both. Dubbing is something even famous actors do nowadays when they have little to do, like Giannini.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #9 : August 20, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »

I saw for the first time the 6 movies made at Fox. Of course they cannot compare with the best of Roach's, but some of them can rank with the not-so-good from that producer. And even in the worst of them (like Bullfighters)  you can always find some gag which will make you laugh like no comedian nowadays can. I think Jitterbugs and A-Haunting We Will Go are the best and can earn a 6\10. As Everson noted, the problem sometime is that Laurel looks his age and can't play the innocent child without looking stupid. Still when he gets in drag in Jitterbugs he still makes laugh no end.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #10 : September 24, 2018, 03:01:47 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N-5iVJoYCI

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #11 : September 24, 2018, 03:04:30 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N-5iVJoYCI

Thanks!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
greenbudgie
Gunslinger

« #12 : September 25, 2018, 02:19:43 AM »

I've just watched Laurel and Hardy in 'Noche De Duendes.' They speak their own parts in Spanish in this. I like the beginning where Laurel and Hardy are in a creepy old house. It's 'The laurel-Hardy Murder Case' redone. Then it segways into a Spanish version of 'Berth Marks.'

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines