Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2022, 06:59:28 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)  ( 31723 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #120 : December 11, 2017, 11:43:45 AM »

both the blade running movies stink!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #121 : December 11, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »

Daniel Day-Lewis Called His Likely Final Film ‘Phantom Thread’ A ‘Nightmare’ To Shoot
http://uproxx.com/movies/daniel-day-lewis-phantom-thread-nightmare/

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #122 : December 11, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »

but like in BR he too often overdoes it with all that light coming from everywhere.

That complaint is valid. But not so much the light but more the moving lights, The floating billboard ones are great, there are some where there are no reasons for them to be there. But very miniscule in the scheme of things. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #123 : December 11, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »

That complaint is valid. But not so much the light but more the moving lights, The floating billboard ones are great, there are some where there are no reasons for them to be there. But very miniscule in the scheme of things. 

The moving lights in BR are awesome and groundbreaking. It took the rest of the american cinema 30 years to catch up with these ones.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #124 : December 11, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »

http://uproxx.com/movies/daniel-day-lewis-phantom-thread-nightmare/
Hah - nice try. I was right there at the advanced screening where he said that. Was clearly being sarcastic.

But yea... both Blade Runners, just not my thing. 5-6ish each. Yaaaawn.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #125 : December 11, 2017, 05:06:21 PM »

The moving lights in BR are awesome and groundbreaking. It took the rest of the american cinema 30 years to catch up with these ones.

Most of them are (groundbreaking) when they seem realistic purposed. The ones in the last scenes at the fight at the Bradbury Building don't seem to have much purpose in the scheme of things in the city, they just feel more gimmicky, but it's just a minute blemish in my opinion.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #126 : December 12, 2017, 12:48:38 AM »

Aren’t the Bradbury Building lights supposed to be regular lights of the city filtered by pals and windows? Moving cars, billboards...
I always took them this way.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #127 : December 12, 2017, 03:55:46 AM »

Aren’t the Bradbury Building lights supposed to be regular lights of the city filtered by pals and windows? Moving cars, billboards...
I always took them this way.

Most of them yes, it's just near the end it looks like they have four spotlights in a vertical row on one pole with swivels right outside a window for no reason other than an effect. 

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #128 : December 12, 2017, 03:59:24 AM »

Ha, I'll check them out next time I watch it.

That being said, motivated lighting has quickly become the norm in the past 5 years or so. I'm pretty sure the next trend is totally unnatural lighting.

« : December 12, 2017, 04:00:56 AM noodles_leone »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #129 : December 12, 2017, 04:22:17 AM »

Ha, I'll check them out next time I watch it.

That being said, motivated lighting has quickly become the norm in the past 5 years or so. I'm pretty sure the next trend is totally unnatural lighting.

I only noticed them because they seemed to have no purpose in a overcrowded megalopolis where lighting seemed to be rather stingy.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #130 : March 23, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »

I only noticed them because they seemed to have no purpose in a overcrowded megalopolis where lighting seemed to be rather stingy.

;D

The lighting was nonetheless the high point of this movie.

For me it really lacked any of the rawness or lyricism that might have otherwise sustained something of this length. I think that is perhaps was Villeneuve was going for, but I don't think he quite achieved it this time.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #131 : April 02, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised with this one, if I may say. While it is not the same (type of) movie the first one was, the effort and dedication put in it by all the crew is above average, and it payed off.

It is visually distinctive and unique, with only bits resembling the first one. I would not call it beautiful, in any way (mainstream or alternative), but it is interesting. Probably the fact that it combines two main visual modes: 1) dark - cold - wet, and 2) light - hot - dry, with the 3) high-biotech, creepy, flesh is weak and spoilable leitmotif (minimalistic, without going into overdrive drooling over it).

The story/plot is overall satisfying. Some parts are stock-predictable, while others manage to almost surprise you. What is really good is that it probably came closer to Philip K. Dick's philosophical, moral and ethical inner/outer quarrels withing the characters and the remnants of the society in which they (co)exist. I think Hampton Fancher finally got what he wanted (deserved), and I say that without diminishing the input of the other screenwriter, which I do not know that well.

I did not like the intro text; thought it was lame and unnecessary.

The soundtrack is OK, good but not special as the first one.

The acting solid. I did not like Leto's performance/character, but I sense that might have been the idea all along; to make him overly theatrical.

Good directing.

8/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #132 : April 02, 2018, 02:16:48 AM »

Glad you liked it. You aren't completely a lost cause after all.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #133 : April 02, 2018, 02:18:32 AM »

So you say.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #134 : April 02, 2018, 03:14:16 AM »

... two main visual modes: 1) dark - cold - wet, and 2) light - hot - dry...

Yes - that was nice. It certainly wasn't novel to choose two vivid contrasts like that, but it was done well. I suppose Storaro's work on "Little Buddha" gets the award for that.

I did not like the intro text; thought it was lame and unnecessary.

Generally I find intro text and explanatory voice-overs to be annoying - in this case, it was totally unnecessary even if you hadn't seen the original IMO. Having said that, there are cases when it works - the addition of Pacino's voice to "Revolution Revisited" creates quite a haunting effect for example.

: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines