Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:46:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)  (Read 2976 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »

2 hrs. 43 mins? WTF?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »

For you, CJ, an interesting twist from classic noir and neo noir lighting in Blade Runner 2049:
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/blade-runner-2049-cinematographer-roger-deakins-1201813923/

Thanks!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) IMAX - Visuals: 10/10. Story: 7/10. Nice faux Vangelis score (Zimmer should forget his own "style" and ape Mr. V every time). Impeccable lighting. Compositions and pacing of Kubrickean magnitude (hence the long runtime). The plot works well until it doesn't. Everything goes to shit at the climax (The baddies are taking Ford where? Gosling is trying to do what with his spinner?) This is also the point where it becomes difficult to follow the action. The ending is trite. Practical FX is very good; the CGI doesn't always work ( e.g. long shots of spinners flying over cityscapes). The best FX was Ana de Armas: she teases for the first two hours; finally we get her 50 ft. holographic nude image--that's entertainment! (But is that her actual T&A, or CGI enhancements?) I never want to watch this again, but I'll be buying the OST CD.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2017, 06:43:03 AM »

Blade Runner 2049 (2017) IMAX - Visuals: 10/10. Story: 7/10. Nice faux Vangelis score (Zimmer should forget his own "style" and ape Mr. V every time). Impeccable lighting. Compositions and pacing of Kubrickean magnitude (hence the long runtime). The plot works well until it doesn't. Everything goes to shit at the climax (The baddies are taking Ford where? Gosling is trying to do what with his spinner?) This is also the point where it becomes difficult to follow the action. The ending is trite. Practical FX is very good; the CGI doesn't always work ( e.g. long shots of spinners flying over cityscapes). The best FX was Ana de Armas: she teases for the first two hours; finally we get her 50 ft. holographic nude image--that's entertainment! (But is that her actual T&A, or CGI enhancements?) I never want to watch this again, but I'll be buying the OST CD.

We agree on most of it. Except I'll watch it over and over. I would go see it again this weekend if I could find an IMAX 2D presentation.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2017, 06:51:47 AM »

I'll be buying the OST CD.
MP3 only? WTF!!!!!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »

MP3 only? WTF!!!!!

MP3 only as of yet, you just have to wait for a couple of weeks I think. It wasn't even available anywhere (not even streaming) before yesterday. I've been listening to it on Spotify since yesterday morning.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2017, 07:41:53 AM »

I've been listening to it on Spotify since yesterday morning.
Oh, right. I'll check it out there.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »

Agree pretty much, wasn't all that impressed with anything, and the plot gets lost at the end and how the fuck does Gosling find them at all. I probably won't watch it again either. 7/10

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2017, 10:20:36 AM »

There are a few plot points and character motivations that should be explained by a second watch. Some quite important information is only hinted at in lines of dialogues.

Anyway, I didn't think it would happen so quickly but I'm ready for the second watch. It may very well happen next week.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »

I'll probably get the Blu-ray to watch certain scenes again. I liked the Vegas Weekend sequence a lot.

There were a number of visual gags and I can't be sure I spotted them all. The fact that Gosling's spinner is made by Peugeot had me chuckling (my grandma used to own a Peugeot); also, in 2049 the Los Angeles skyscape includes a Pan Am marquee--Ha!

The dumbest thing about the plot is that at the finish you have a character is need of serious medical attention, but that is just ignored so that the big movie ending can go off. This more than anything showed me that the story was in no way important. 

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2017, 12:31:44 PM »

Kermode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8OIbWEHQM

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2017, 02:50:14 AM »

I'll probably get the Blu-ray to watch certain scenes again. I liked the Vegas Weekend sequence a lot.

There were a number of visual gags and I can't be sure I spotted them all. The fact that Gosling's spinner is made by Peugeot had me chuckling (my grandma used to own a Peugeot); also, in 2049 the Los Angeles skyscape includes a Pan Am marquee--Ha!

I couldn't believe the Peugeot. It may be the very first time Peugeot is featured in an american film. We don't even show Peugeot cars in French films! The ATARI marquee -that was already in the first Blade Runner- was fun too.

SPOILERS AHEAD

There was also a number of visual and audio references to the first film that were not about the plot or nostalgia but used as dramatic devices. The most obvious was of course the use of the Tears in the Rain soliloquy music during Gosling's death (a terrific scene, I don't know why they bothered showing the Deckard meets daughter scene right after, it doesn't have half the same emotional strength). A more subtle one was the fact that Joi was wearing a similar outfit as Zhora/Joanna Cassidy when she's retired by Deckard in Las Vergas. I understood she was going to die right when I spotted the outfit.
I'm sure there are other ones.

www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2017, 04:30:51 AM »

Production design and cinematography:

http://www.icgmagazine.com/web/humanity-2-0/

www.ThibautOskian.com
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2017, 12:39:34 PM »

Saw this at an AMC in a section of the theater entitled 'Dolby Cinema'. Information regarding what I'm talking about and it was fantastic. If there is a movie worth seeing in this strange structure, it is this one. I wonder if Dust Devil will give it a watch with all the praise its getting.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2017, 01:09:06 PM »

He should. You donít get to see such an impressive movie history landmark that often these days.

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM