Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2018, 12:01:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)  (Read 5252 times)
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2017, 07:22:02 AM »

Only 50%. So less wrong than watching GBU in pan and scan, you philistin.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »

Screening conditions aren't lipstick on a pig.

No they're not necessarily so, although they can be if the film sucks. However, they always are the "icing/frosting on the cake" regardless of the quality of the cake.

I am more than willing to watch a technically well-made film that lacks in plot and acting. Ideally I would want to see it in the best version possible. However, all that technical expertise will still be there under less than ideal screening conditions; it just won't be accentuated to the same degree.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

I agree with most of it, but apart from the pleasure of arguing about universal rules, on an absolutely non theoretical but utterly pragmatical, factual, impossible to argue level, BR2049 needs a good sound system. I swear. It is just designed that way. On purpose.

Now I've done everything that was in my power to do. I hope they make the right choice  Cry

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:52:46 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2017, 12:40:32 PM »

I agree with most of it, but apart from the pleasure of arguing about universal rules, on an absolutely non theoretical but utterly pragmatical, factual, impossible to argue level, BR2049 needs a good sound system. I swear. It is just designed that way. On purpose.

Now I've done everything that was in my power to do. I hope they make the right choice  Cry

Ok point taken Grin

However, given how my life is right now, I might need to rent it on Blu-ray in a few months instead  Sad.  My sound system at home is the speakers built into my plasma TV...  Undecided

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22549

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »

Just watched the original again last night, way way better, a masterpiece.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2017, 03:12:57 AM »

Just watched the original again last night, way way better, a masterpiece.

Of course it is! Best non Leone film ever.

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2017, 03:27:11 AM »

I'll give both films a 8/10, but Villeneuve's film has the chance to become a 9.

Scott's film has all the usual Scott problems for me.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2017, 03:56:53 AM »

I'll give both films a 8/10, but Villeneuve's film has the chance to become a 9.

Scott's film has all the usual Scott problems for me.

Fuck no, never, the original felt extremely claustrophobic, 2049 didn't have anywhere near that feeling, too many empty landscapes completely different feel, almost too much a post apocalyptic aura whereas the original had that vastly overcrowded planet but still surviving quirky big city zeitgeist.

I'm beginning to think it's you that has the problems  Azn But I agree about most of Scott's films, this, Alien, and Gladiator are the only films of his that are worth a shit.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:29:28 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2017, 04:33:52 AM »

Thelma and Louise is great (just switch the 80's Zimmer soundtrack off).
The Duelists has its flaws but all in all it's a terrific film.
Black Hawk Down is perfect for what it is.

Then:

Black Rain, American Gangster and even Body of Lies aren't very interesting but they're good pieces of craft.
Legend is a complet failure but we definitely need WAY more ambitious failures nowadays.
Prometheus is a terrible movie because of its script but the craft is impressive.

All in all, about half of his films deserve to be around.

I'd still sleep better if Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood had never existed.

www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2017, 04:35:41 AM »

Thelma and Louise is great (just switch the 80's Zimmer soundtrack off).
The Duelists has its flaws but all in all it's a terrific film.
Black Hawk Down is perfect for what it is.

Then:

Black Rain, American Gangster and even Body of Lies aren't very interesting but they're good pieces of craft.
Legend is a complet failure but we definitely need WAY more ambitious failures nowadays.
Prometheus is a terrible movie because of its script but the craft is impressive.

All in all, about half of his films deserve to be around.

I'd still sleep better if Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood had never existed.

I heard/read that Black Rain was a Neo Noir, nahh, a motorcycle chase crap fest (I hate chase films nowadays), so hated it from the get go, couldn't rent it to check it out first, so I had to buy it, money down the drain. American Gangster watched, didn't think much of it, Black Hawk Down was decent.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:42:08 AM by cigar joe » Logged

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2017, 04:58:40 AM »

Scott is an empty director, but for an empty director he made some good films. But never a really great one.
His best is Alien, which does not feel like a Scott film for a single second. His only one which gets a 9 from me.

Kingdom of Heaven is one of his best, but only in the DC, and Blade Runner is also a good one, but it hasn't much substance, and the visuals are too superficial, which is the usual problem in most of his films, already in The Duellists. He wants to make stunning looking films, but like in BR he too often overdoes it with all that light coming from everywhere.

For Thelma and Louise he was the wrong choice. The ending is terrible.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:59:51 AM by stanton » Logged

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2017, 05:22:13 AM »

Scott is an empty director, but for an empty director he made some good films.

Yes

But never a really great one.

No

His best is Alien, which does not feel like a Scott film for a single second. His only one which gets a 9 from me.

Alien is great and doesn't feel like a Scott film. His direction really transcended a weak script filled with a few good ideas.

Kingdom of Heaven is one of his best, but only in the DC,

Lol no it's one of the worst films I've ever seen. Literally. It's laughable from start to finish and is shot like a 2 hours TV news report.
I haven't seen the DC, which may or may not improve the film, but at best it might turn a total turd into an almost watchable turd.

and Blade Runner is also a good one, but it hasn't much substance, and the visuals are too superficial,

No. It has more substance than all the other films on earth combined.
More seriously, I get how the film may connect with some people and not with other ones, but "no substance" isn't a valid criticism on this one. It says everything there is to say about mortality, which means it says everything there is to say about human condition, which means it says everything there is to say.

which is the usual problem in most of his films, already in The Duellists. He wants to make stunning looking films,

Yes.

but like in BR he too often overdoes it with all that light coming from everywhere.

Highly subjective point.

For Thelma and Louise he was the wrong choice.

No he was great. The direction of the actors is terrific and the visuals were amazing at the time. Yes, it aged.
His brother would have been better though.

The ending is terrible.

Ok I had doubts earlier but I'm now 100% convinced Drinkanddestroy stole your password.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:26:19 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:53 AM »

I rewatched the ending on the tube.

It is not terrible, but still not good. The suicide is a cheap idea, and the way Scott filmed it with these slo mo shots ... arrgh ... nahh, not good.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »

The slow motion shots, as well as the "let's shoot everything with the 200 mm lens" didn't age very well and the frame freeze is the worst. Still, the whole thing works well for me.

Trivia : I've been where they shot that last summer, the place is great (it isn't the Great Canyon at all, it's in Dead Horse Point State Park, next to the Canyonlands National Park entrance in Utah).

www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM