Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 07, 2019, 07:29:47 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Best Director of the "Video Store" Generation
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: The Best Director of the "Video Store" Generation?
Quentin Tarantino   -2 (33.3%)
Steven Soderbergh   -1 (16.7%)
Paul Thomas Anderson   -1 (16.7%)
Kevin Smith   -0 (0%)
David O. Russell   -0 (0%)
Danny Boyle   -0 (0%)
David Fincher   -1 (16.7%)
Wes Anderson   -0 (0%)
Gus Van Sant   -0 (0%)
Darren Aronofsky   -0 (0%)
Christopher Nolan   -0 (0%)
Richard Linklater   -0 (0%)
Robert Rodriguez   -0 (0%)
Other   -1 (16.7%)
: 6

: The Best Director of the "Video Store" Generation  ( 2118 )
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« : October 25, 2015, 06:10:52 PM »

I'm defining this as directors who hit their mark between 1990-2000 and are still relevant today. I actually think I made a similar poll before, but can't remember and don't feel like finding it (if this place lasts past the new year, lets get a better search engine). I'm also keeping it more strictly to English-language filmmakers to keep the list options minimal, but have "Other" open for the likes of Wong-Kar Wai or Inarritu or whoever else.

Excluding Coen Brothers and others who kicked off in late 80's. They landed oddly in between New Hollywood era and "Video Store" directors.

Also excluding newer guys like Refn, Jeff Nichols, Jason Reitman (uhg), Edgar Wright, Steve McQueen, Sofia Coppola... I'd consider them all part of what i'd call the "Internet Generation (?)", where at this time I don't think any of them are established enough to be ranked among these ones.

I think it's pretty obvious that Tarantino is the most important of these, but it's more interesting to see who has had the best filmography as a whole.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #1 : October 26, 2015, 12:33:13 AM »

Here we go. Another PTA thread.

Only 3 of the guys in the list are "important" and have a chance to be discussed in history books on 200 years: Fincher, QT and PTA. There are some very good other ones but only these 3 have regularly made movies than don't pale in comparison with the best new Hollywood films.

In 2000, the winner was (indisputably) QT.
Had PTA done more films in the vein of There Will Be Blood, I'd give him the edge.
But I have to say Fincher is a clear winner to me. By far. He's the one showing me the way to the cinema I love, these days.

« : October 26, 2015, 04:06:41 PM noodles_leone »

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #2 : October 26, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »

Here we go. Another PTA thread.

Hahah.... I haven't voted yet... who says I won't pick Robert Rodriguez instead?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #3 : October 26, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »

Spy Kids 3D forever.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #4 : October 26, 2015, 06:33:50 PM »

Can I vote for Giuseppe Tornatore?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #5 : October 27, 2015, 04:58:57 AM »

Can I vote for Giuseppe Tornatore?

Click David Fincher to vote for Tornatore.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

« #6 : October 27, 2015, 05:21:25 AM »

Click David Fincher to vote for Tornatore.

hahahah

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #7 : October 27, 2015, 06:44:17 AM »

Haha, well a Tornatore version of "Fight Club" set in a beautiful Sicilian coastal town filmed in nostalgic sepia tones would be kinda weird ;D

Then again, Tornatore does have some pretty harrowing stuff in his repertoire as well. Most recently "La sconosciuta" for example...

I also just noticed in the original post that all non-English language directors should go under other. So I vote "other¨, although Tornatore's "La leggenda del pianista sull'oceano" ("The Legend of 1900) and "The Best Offer" are both English language of course.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #8 : October 27, 2015, 02:55:14 PM »

1. PTA
2. Richard Linklater
3. David O. Russell
4. David Fincher
5. Quentin Tarantino
6. Darren Aronofsky
7. Christopher Nolan
8. Danny Boyle
9. Wes Anderson
10. Gus Van Sant

I regrettably haven't seen enough from Soderbergh and thankfully haven't seen enough from Robert Rodriguez to include them. Noodles might actually kill me for ranking David and Dick over the other David. I'm saving it for when Fincher makes his true masterpiece... it's coming. O. Russell has never made anything astounding, but he's had such a generally great line-up of diverse movies.

Haven't thought through non-Enlish directors yet, but at least WKW would break the Top 5, and Inarritu on the top 10. I couldn't kick out Wes and Gus fast enough.

If I were to make a poll of "Internet-era" or up and coming directors who have made at least 3 movies, it'd be tied between Bennett Miller and Jeff Nichols for the top spot.

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines