Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:46:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Betamax RIP
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Betamax RIP  (Read 499 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/10/sony-to-end-production-of-betamax-tapes
I guess this means titoli will have to finally switch to Laser Discs.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:33:19 PM »

The format that never really took off outside of East Asia was the VCD as that sort of transition from LD to DVD.

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 05:33:34 AM »

The professional versions (BETACAM and BETANUM) are still doing good while being 100% useless. I think they're just a scam by production companies to increase their margin and getting something to call "the master". It's a good thing that TV network are now, at last, ditching this and allowing for regular .mp4 files for commercials. Betcam are useless, time and money consuming and they actually deteriorate the quality of your file.

Ok let's stop bitching. Betamax will stay in marketing classes as the best example of "superior technology that failed because it missed the most important point". People needed something to record movies, i.e that could last at least 120 minutes. The rest (image quality) was just bonus points. It's a shame though since I had to base my early film goer education on crappy VHS.
It's also commonly used in essays about "invention vs innovation". Interesting case study in many ways.

Another interesting format that basically invented what a DVD would be was Philips' CD-i Digital Video. My father worked in a video game company at the time and had a partnership with Philips: they edited their Adi learning game (mainly a PC game) on CD-i. The CD-i version of the game was even featured in the TV commercial for the game at the time so people thought the format was kind of a "big" deal at the time. Because of that, Philips gave him a CD-i player as well as every single CD-i ever released. It went from Apocalypse Now to The Wall, from 007 movies to erotic massages and sex toys demonstrations. I had a lot of fun with the CD-i Sea Battle. It's also thanks to CD-i that I had the incommunicable pleasure to watch Joshua Trees, which is the worst movie I ever saw. Ever.
Not sure why CD-i/VCD never was a thing. Maybe the image quality was not better than VHS enough to convince people to jump in. It seems to me that even LD had a better run.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:39:44 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 06:38:52 AM »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11/10/sony-to-end-production-of-betamax-tapes
I guess this means titoli will have to finally switch to Laser Discs.
Over My Dead Body.

Big Boss 1971
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:58:21 PM »

I believe Elvis was one of the first in the US to own a Betamax ?

Boss : You are a fool , the police will laugh at you ! (Big Boss , 1971)
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »

Not sure why CD-i/VCD never was a thing. Maybe the image quality was not better than VHS enough to convince people to jump in. It seems to me that even LD had a better run.

VCD was absolutely huge in East Asia excluding Japan. I think the reason is that VHS was more established In Japan hence there was not a huge demand.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM