Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 12:48:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  A Fistful of Dollars (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The first time you saw this film
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The first time you saw this film  (Read 17802 times)
Dirty Rat
Gunslinger

Just like the greasy rat that you are.......

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »

On TV in the very late 80's after becoming obsessed with the GBU

Christian
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »

I saw it for first time  when I was around 8 years old (in 1968 I think) in a old cinema of my neigborhood. Of course they objected to let me pass (I was supposed to be 21 years old) Anyway I was able to see (through a gap in the door) the scene when the bad guys shoot to the mule, and Clint ends hanging from the tavern sign

iceman
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »

I seem to remember I was at school...probably 1968 ish (I would be around 15 or 16) and a whole bunch of us getting hooked on the trilogy. We used to take a small tape recorder into the cinema to record the soundtracks (still got them somewhere and we even used to pinch the posters which were put up around town advertising the films. We used to think Ennio was God and searched everywhere for the records and LP's. The first was by "the Hollywood soundmakers"...rubbish really but brilliant at the time...check it out here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTb9PdaDTLs

We then found the GBU soundtrack then the RCA Camdem Soundtracks for FOD/FAFDM all readily available now but like gold then. Then "The Best of Ennio Morricone". It really came into its own with the advent of Video VHS and you could then get the films from TV...brilliant.

Ah! so nostalgic....they were brilliant exciting times.....we didn't need drugs or computer games or tv's in every room to have fun....

ICE

"Take a slug of this captain.....and keep your ears open"
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »

I was about 10, and didn't really give any thoughts to movie ratings so I went to the video store and picked up the DVD [my mum was still looking around in the shelves, and I had some money on me, so I figured I might as well go up to the front counter and pay for the rental myself]. I went up, and one of the ladies working there took the DVD out of my hands, and pointed to the R 18+ rating on the front DVD cover, also looking at me with a very suspicious look, and told me she couldn't let me rent the movie because of this rating [which I had no idea about]. I remember feeling like some sort of criminal, so I had to wait for my mum to finish looking around and picking up a few titles for herself [this took about 25 minutes, so I just waiting there, for mum to rent FOD for me]. Once my mum came to the front counter, and paid for all the rentals, the rest was history...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:39:17 PM by Senza » Logged

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »

About 1972 or 73 in DeRidder, LA.  I was in high school at the time.  I actually saw OUATITW  first when it was released to theaters in 1969.  If I remember correctly, I saw DYS in the theater before FOD and FAFDM as well.  Just a mistake of nature I guess.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 01:57:01 AM »

About 1972 or 73 in DeRidder, LA.  I was in high school at the time.  I actually saw OUATITW  first when it was released to theaters in 1969. 

Was this already the cut version?

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »

If you mean OUATITW, from what I remember at the theater in 69, it was the same as the TV version that played for years.  When it came out on video, I was one of the first to buy it.  Since it was so long it had to come in a 2 pack set and it was the same then.  Being a fanatic about this movie, I hoped it would contain what I felt were missing pieces, such as Harmonica's scar when he visits Wobbles.  It seemed about the same to me even though I know memories can change from my teenage years to my late 50s now.

t-bone
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2015, 05:56:32 PM »

I was 9 years old when I first this movie. My dad made me sit down with him to watch it. I, of course, was 9 and wanted to do anything else, but my Pops was insistent. I'm so glad that he did what he did because I fell in love with this movie that evening and have been a HUGE fan of the Trilogy ever since. I'm 47 now, and a week doesn't go by without my watching one, or more, of the 3 films, and I thank my Pops for that.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2015, 05:44:50 AM »

I was very lucky. I was 13 and was already helping out at the local cinema. We had foreign language versions for all those Italian, Greek, Turkish and Yugoslavian workers at the Mercedes Benz factory in my hometown. Saturday afternoon we played Italian films. The guy always showed up with the print and photo bustas to advertise the next week's film. He never let me do the displaying, he didn't trust me. Of course he was right. He did not have have many bustas and I'd become a criminal for sure stealing as many FOD (first release) bustas as possible Smiley. But that day I saw the film on our nice big screen, totally uncut. The dramatic Italian dubbing and the Italian crowd made for a great unforgettable event. I felt privileged for years, the German version was cut and the home video version four years later even more.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Misadf
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 12:12:39 AM »

Similar here, I guess... I usually don't watch http://www.casesam.co.uk/ films with dubbing. Especially the less important characters are usually dubbed terribly. But the actor who dubbed VolontÚ in both FD and FFDM has great voice. I watch it sometimes dubbed only because of that voice. Grin So I guess this is similar to your soft spot for Indio...
I have no idea however when were these dubbings made.

(Dubbing is bad thing for me most of time. I liked it mainly only in Gendarme de Saint Tropez, because the actor who dubbed Louis de FunÚs is really good, there's a rumor that he was as good that FunÚs himself said that he was better than him! And that's an old dubbing, of course.)

Yeah, black and white TV. And it's boring to watch http://www.ourcase.co.uk/ films with dubbing.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:45:39 PM by Misadf » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 06:20:00 AM »

In a theater on Times Square with a Huge screen, but I had seen For A Few Dollars More first and when Fistful was re released it was on a double bill with For A Few Dollars More, so I then saw them in the right order then.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM