Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:33:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU book project -updated website-
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU book project -updated website-  (Read 20547 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »

Wowwww - BBC is forecasting that Britain will keave the UK (52-48) , a big surprise; earlier one of the leaders of the Brexit push had said he thought they'd lost.

The pound is in a free-fall against the dollar. (Worldwide markets in general are falling, actually.)

Definitely compare prices between the UK and German Amazons including shipping.

I am no investor, don't take any investment advice from me. The pound could fall further in a week. But that thought occurred to me, if I'm going to buy stuff from a foreign site, UK may be the way to go

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2016, 01:37:22 AM »

Good idea, I just did it. I'm afraid I took the last copy from the UK website.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 24, 2016, 08:27:49 AM »

Good idea, I just did it. I'm afraid I took the last copy from the UK website.

I think the site has been saying "one copy left" for quite some time. I don't think it means anything.

So, who knows how much further the pound may fall?? Maybe I should buy pounds and hold them for a while  Wink Currency trading fascinates me (I've never done it) but sounds incredibly risky  Wink

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 24, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »

Markets are sinking http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FINANCIAL_MARKETS_ASOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-06-24-10-26-41

David Cameron announced that he will resign
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_BRITAIN_EU_CAMERON?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-06-24-04-15-15

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 24, 2016, 01:36:33 PM »

Just for the hell of it, I just compared the UK and German Amazon sites, and checked the currency conversions on Google:

At 3:32 p.m New York time on Friday:
The book cost 51.02 pounds on the UK site, which equals $69.67.
On the German site, it costs 64.95 euros, which at the moment equals $72.73.

(I did not compare shipping costs.)

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 24, 2016, 11:14:59 PM »

Peter, how was the conference at the University of Bradford (UK)? I noticed you were one of the invited speakers.

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/ei/media-design-technology/film-and-media/current-thinking-on-the-western-3/

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:22:36 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Clinton
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2016, 04:42:43 AM »

Peter, how was the conference at the University of Bradford (UK)? I noticed you were one of the invited speakers.

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/ei/media-design-technology/film-and-media/current-thinking-on-the-western-3/

I really enjoyed the meeting, which was well organized by Lee Broughton and Mark Goodall. It was particularly interesting to see how film academics present their work. They tend to use quite figurative language and lots of jargon, like hypermasculine, anti-hero, tropes etc. The presentations, or "papers" as they are termed, were really fascinating, although I thought that the analogy bewteen Steven Spielberg's "Jaws" (1975) and a Western was pushing things.

It was great to catch up with Alison McInnes and Ulrich Bruckner, who had hardly changed since we met in Almeria, 2004, when Mario Marsili made his film, "Per un pugno di Sogni" - a tribute to Italian Westerns and Italian Western directors.

I had the privilege of meeting Christopher Frayling. He has an impressive, encylopedic knowledge of film and film makers. I was most impressed by his down-to-earthness, despite his prominence in the field.

One of the highlights of the meeting was Alex Cox's presentation, which was basically the history of Westerns.

Best,
Peter

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2016, 08:03:02 AM »

Sounds great!

Do you know if the video will be available online?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:58:09 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »

Glad to know intellectuals still find the Italian Western genre worthy of analysis and discussion after all these years.

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2016, 11:24:38 AM »

sounds great.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »

One of the highlights of the meeting was Alex Cox's presentation, which was basically the history of Westerns.
I'm guessing he didn't start with The Odyssey or The Aeneid or made any mention of Middle Age romances. Still, even an incomplete account would be interesting. I hope he is publishing this.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2016, 08:27:56 PM »

They tend to use quite figurative language and lots of jargon, like hypermasculine, anti-hero, tropes etc.

It's weird isn't it? Some academic disciplines need specific terminology because they quite simply need to refer to concepts that no-one else ever really thinks about so don't know the words, and yet other disciplines just seem to use it for style when they could perfectly well write it in a more accessible manner. I'm thinking of the difference say between Frayling's "Spaghetti Westerns" book and his Leone biography; the latter is so much more readable, yet certainly no less scholarly.

Did he mention anything about "Tombstone Rashomon"?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:32:13 PM by Novecento » Logged
Clinton
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2016, 01:24:58 AM »

Sounds great!

Do you know if the video will be available online?

I don't think that it is available online. It may be possible to get a copy via Mario Marsili. I think he is now living in Arizona (?).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2016, 06:06:16 AM »

Uh, oh. Both amazon.co.uk and amazon.de are showing no stock. Peter?

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2016, 07:01:36 AM »

I don't think that it is available online. It may be possible to get a copy via Mario Marsili. I think he is now living in Arizona (?).

I remember Mario Marsili did a couple of great SW interviews. Most notably these two with Sollima:

http://website.lineone.net/~braithwaitej/mainsite/overview/nighteagle/nighteagle.htm

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM