Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:43:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Cowboy - AHC documentary
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cowboy - AHC documentary  (Read 1919 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:31:01 AM »

I've partially watched the American Heroes Channel new documentary "The Cowboy".  This is about film western heroes, not trying to express the reality.  It's very good.

This lists the influential westerns film directors as John Ford, Kurasawa, Leone, and Eastwood.  This - from what I've watched so far - does an honorable job with Sergio Leone, even if some stills and clips shown were from a different Eastwood film than what was being discussed (but similar for some John Ford films).

For example, the "myth" of the lone cowboy riding away alone at the end (like in the Searchers, Leone films) really gained popularity because of TV westerns, where the lead had to survive to next week's episode with no entanglements for a fresh story.

There was fair amount of discussion about Leone's films being where the audience was actually on the side of the bad guy, even when he was out for just money.  Anson Mount raved about the beginning of Once Upon a Time in the West, too.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 10:14:57 AM »

For example, the "myth" of the lone cowboy riding away alone at the end (like in the Searchers, Leone films) really gained popularity because of TV westerns, where the lead had to survive to next week's episode with no entanglements for a fresh story.
I call BS on this. It was a staple of the genre long before weekly TV shows started using it. Of course, TV reached a lot more people than films ever did, so "gained popularity" isn't something one can dispute. But it's not much of a "fact."

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »

They said the movie serials also for this, called those serials kids' films, not serious.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »

They said the movie serials also for this, called those serials kids' films, not serious.
Yeah, the serials were kinda pre-TV TV, so they're on firmer ground there.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »

Second hour showed Lee Van Cleef as Jesse James from 1954  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0710947/, seemed like a pretty big role for him at the time, and also Bronson getting killed on Gunsmoke.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM