Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 03:04:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  LEONE SCENE YOU DISLIKE.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: LEONE SCENE YOU DISLIKE.  (Read 22386 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2004, 09:53:12 AM »

Sticking with LEONE'S WESTERNS, what is the scene (or part of) you dislike most and why. I.E. It could be acting, photography, dialouge, dubbing, etc. For me it's music. In OUATITW, as Jill steps off the train, there is a small piece of music that would fit better in a barroom scene shot by JOHN FORD. For some reason here it jars with me. I can never figure why it was included as the scene is both wonderful and very beautiful. Cry

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 10:02:01 AM »

I never liked the Manco/Mortimer hat shooting scene in FAFDM - the movie crossed the line into typical spaghetti ridiculousness at that point, and I think it detracted from the rest of the film.  Might as well bring in the machine gun coffins.  Up till then it was a nice, taught fairly believable story line.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 12:44:49 PM »

I don't like the restored scene in GBU where Angel Eyes and Blondie discuss the perfect number-three, refering to Blondie, Angel, Eyes, and Tuco,  or six refering to a bullet for each ofAngel Eyes' men.  I am OK with the first part, Blondie killing the approaching Angel Eyes' man, but the discussion about the number of bullets.....no.

I could live without the scene with the hotel keeper and his gross wife in FDM.  

Belkin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 02:37:34 PM »

I don't like the restored scene in GBU where Angel Eyes and Blondie discuss the perfect number-three, refering to Blondie, Angel, Eyes, and Tuco,  or six refering to a bullet for each ofAngel Eyes' men.  I am OK with the first part, Blondie killing the approaching Angel Eyes' man, but the discussion about the number of bullets.....no.

I could live without the scene with the hotel keeper and his gross wife in FDM.  

With you on both counts, Cusser.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 12:15:19 PM »

Tuco's grotto scene in restored GBU is terrible. While it's neccessary to introduce his three bandit friends (they always confused me before I saw it restored), I think any one of us could have written a better entrance for them in 5 minutes. The way it's been done - with them abseilling through the hole in the ceiling just as Tuco is remeniscing to himself about them - is just sloppy screenwriting.

I don't like Juan's rape of the bourgeois woman in DYS... Even though she's unlikeable I'm just uncomfortable with rape by a character we are supposed to sympathise with. That's also one of the reasons I don't like OUTA that much.

It's class.
Belkin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 12:26:14 PM »

I don't like Juan's rape of the bourgeois woman in DYS... Even though she's unlikeable I'm just uncomfortable with rape by a character we are supposed to sympathise with. That's also one of the reasons I don't like OUTA that much.
It's a LEONE flaw on both counts that I could never understand! For such a gifted storyteller it's a mis-use of that gift.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 01:09:47 PM »

The rape scene in America. Actually not dislike but.. uncomfortable, theres a almost freeson like in feel to approach of the incident.   Cry

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:11:36 PM by The Smoker » Logged

Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 01:20:56 AM »

Agreed, the rape scene in OUTIA make the film hard to digest because it makes it difficult to identify with de Niro's character.  In my humble opinion leaving the scene out would do good to the movie.  

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 07:49:25 AM »

I dislike the scene in Duck you Sucker when Juan is in the car with all the people, when there are a lot of close up.
An other shot is in GBU, just after Bondie kills Tuco's friends, when he gives him the string. The camera is on a bad place...I dislike
Then, there are   scenes of restored GBU:
-the scene in the grotto
-the scene when Tuco arrives in the camp and says that Blondie is injured
-the scene when Sentenza arrives in the camp and ask where he can find Carson
And finally, in the French version (I'm French), the new  voices are very very horrible. Undecided

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 09:14:18 AM »

Agreed, the rape scene in OUTIA make the film hard to digest because it makes it difficult to identify with de Niro's character.  In my humble opinion leaving the scene out would do good to the movie.  

Good point, but maybe that's why Leone had the scene put in there.  Noodles is the "hero", but with this scene he makes the point that "hey, timeout - why is this guy your hero, he's a real dirtbag gangster remember?"  Commentary on everyone's fascination with gangsters and the gangster genre in general - that's what these guys are, this is what they do.  Why worship them?

Plus that scene justifies Max's later double-cross.  Word of the rape would definitely have gotten around, she's Fat Moe's sister after all.    Max was probably rolling the idea around of getting rid of the other gang members for a while, this would give him an excuse of getting rid of Noodles without the guilt.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
Bill Carson
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 11:09:28 AM »

General Sibley, I was just about to say that I dislike the rape scene - I mean I do, but you have a good point. however, prior to OUATIA's gangsters, it was the bad-ass bounty-killers and bandits that we were keen on and my all-time Leone hero, TUCO, was guilty of (among other things) "... raping a virgin of the white race..."

Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 11:42:07 AM »

It would have to be the rape in DYS. I think what I dislike so much about it is that it is done in a comic way. I adore the film, but could have done without that one scene. One wonders if some of Juan's 'ninos' were the product of other rapes.

I don't object to the rape in OUATIA, although it's very nasty, but a rape should be.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 07:43:45 PM »

General Sibley, I was just about to say that I dislike the rape scene - I mean I do, but you have a good point. however, prior to OUATIA's gangsters, it was the bad-ass bounty-killers and bandits that we were keen on and my all-time Leone hero, TUCO, was guilty of (among other things) "... raping a virgin of the white race..."

Well, Leone was a Catholic and like any good Catholic he probably was obsessed with guilt.  

If he were working in the gangster genre instead of westerns during the time he made the Dollars Trilogy can you imagine what those would have been like?  He pretty much invented the anti-hero with Clint, really groundbreaking stuff.   Maybe an older, maturer Leone was doing his mea culpa's with the Noodles character.

Belkin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 08:07:27 PM »

she's Fat Moe's sister after all.    
But, why then would FAT MOE welcome his sister's rapist, all those years later?Huh Huh Huh

Belkin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 08:10:16 PM »

But, if we had been shown TUCO raping a woman, would we look so fondly back on the character?  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM