Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 09:51:44 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Irish Locations
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Irish Locations  (Read 5968 times)
squad 701
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2004, 02:38:12 PM »

Hi everyone, Here are some recent photos of the Irish locations taken on 21st of August 04. . Toners Pub in Baggot Street in Dublin has barely changed, just a few mirrors shifted about, and the original front doors are now downstairs, they seem to have been split in two at some stage to make a smaller opening door.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:36:22 PM by squad 701 » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 03:58:01 PM »

Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 11:28:50 AM »

Terrific pictures, maybe one day I'll be able to visit that pub!

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 04:14:39 PM »

what is the name of the area where the car scene was shot and the pictures you have with the tall trees.?

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 04:15:18 PM »

oh yeah... and what schoolgirl scene?

Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 05:50:21 PM »

Terrific pictures, maybe one day I'll be able to visit that pub!
That pub serves one of the greatest pints of Guinness in Dublin. Don't forget to ask for a packet of Tayto with your pint, if you ever get there! The pub, TONER'S, ah, sanctuary!  Cheesy

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 05:53:45 PM »

PS. According to legend, it is the bar where W.B. YEATS had his only drink! Not to say he never drank after that, just not in a public bar!!!!!  Wink

« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 05:54:51 PM by Belkin » Logged

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
squad 701
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 02:48:43 PM »

Hi all,
I've included a new location photo on the top of the list, of the Final Flashback location, as I had no video-grabs for comparison, it is not 100% accurate.
As you can see from the photos after 33 years things are bound to change, as in the Car-Scene a lot of the trees on the right hand-side began to rot and had to be cut-down in the mid 80s, some got away with prunning.
I should be in contact with the original owner of the veteran-car that was used in the Car Scene soon, so if it still exists I may have photos next weekend :-)
Grandpa Chum - not a great deal is known about the Bus-Scene, it was mentioned in various interviews down through the years, but most recently in Sir Christopher Fraylings biography of Sergio Leone "Something To Do With Death" page 345. If anyone has any kind of photos from this scene (during filming) I would be extremely grateful for any information.
Best wishes.

Squad 701

« Last Edit: September 04, 2004, 03:08:48 PM by squad 701 » Logged
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 10:57:06 AM »

thanks squad... i have the book and i'll have to give it a look... must have zoned out in that section.

squad 701
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »

Just as a follow up to the above, having spoken with the then-owner of the Bianchi 1906 (8-litre) touring-car that was used in "A Fistful Of Dynamite", he confirmed that the car now resides in it's native Italy. So if there are any Italian members on the forum, they might be able to track it down ! It would be nice to see some recent photos of this car, as apparently they are like gold-dust !
He was also the owner of the 1915 Crossley bus that was used in "Ryan's Daughter" and more recently "Michael Collins", but sadly he confirmed that this bus did not feature in AFOD.
So the big question is, did this bus-scene mentioned by David Warbeck ever exist ? as the only suitable bus, the Crossley was not needed !
As usual any production photos confirming the scenes existence would be appreciated.
There seems to be some mis-information about the filming of AFOD in Ireland. Mostly the location, as a few hardcore fans have discovered by scouring Co. Wicklow in vain. All of the film was made within the confines of Co. Dublin, Toners Pub in Baggot Street ,and Howth Castle and it's grounds for the exterior shots. Whether there was anything else filmed elsewhere and not used, I don't know.
Best wishes.
Squad 701.

PS - Watch you don't get a golf-ball in the head at the location of the Final Flashback, as it's a golf-course now !

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 05:28:10 PM »

Sorry if I'm reviving a lot of old threads, but I just discovered the forum a couple of nights ago and love it already. Loads to read. This is what the internet does so well.

I post regularly at ****** films board too, which has a similar bunch of civilised and well informed posters as this one, but as you can guess, has very limited opportunities to talk about Leone. Cheesy

I've gotta say Squad 701's pics are excellent too. I've been to Northern Ireland, but not to Eire yet, something I'll have to change soon for a pint in Toners Pub, if nothing else.

While on the Eire locations theme, I've always been puzzled why the production team went to the time and expense of shooting any of the movie in Ireland at all. Surely it would have been much cheaper to have built a pub set at Cinecitta, and to have shot the emerald exteriors in any number of verdant Italian locations? In fact one of the main locations they did use has an avenue of (atypical for Ireland) Cyprus trees, which they're not exactly short of in Italy.

As the Irish scenes take place entierly in one interior and two rather anonymous exteriors, why bother scouting locations then dragging a whole crew hundreds of miles to a new country just for that?

(*A troll has been following me around here recently. I don't want the bitch slagging off else where.)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 07:08:43 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2005, 01:55:36 AM »

Simply because he has more money, so why no having real authencity when you have money?
Btw originally SL was not intended to take part in the project. I think the scouting of the locations were done before he landed on it, for an other director (an American, Bogdanovich) wich could exmplain the methods are different of the usual way of using Cinecitta studios.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM