Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2017, 10:41:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Noodles' watch
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noodles' watch  (Read 2414 times)
Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:24:37 AM »

Hey guys, what kind of watch does Noodles wear in Once Upon a Time in America? He wears at least 2 watches, 1 during Joe's murder in Detroit and another one throughout all the movie in Peggy's whorehouse/dinner/opium den scene...
always wondered what's the brand, they both seem Cartier Tank Louis... any clue?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »

Hey guys, what kind of watch does Noodles wear in Once Upon a Time in America? He wears at least 2 watches, 1 during Joe's murder in Detroit and another one throughout all the movie in Peggy's whorehouse/dinner/opium den scene... always wondered what's the brand, they both seem Cartier Tank Louis... any clue?

I suppose Leone did write a note saying that Time was one of the essential elements of the film but all the Cartier Tank Louis watches I've seen have the name Cartier shown prominently, Roman numerals, and a fancy border between the numerals and the centre of the dial.

e.g.

Noodles 1933 watch

Has a square dial, ordinary numerals, no obvious brand name, a rather bland face and a small second hand area.

Noodles 1968 watch

A round dial and no obviously visible brand name

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:15:57 AM by chris » Logged
Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:35:40 AM »

I suppose Leone did write a note saying that Time was one of the essential elements of the film but all the Cartier Tank Louis watches I've seen have the name Cartier shown prominently, Roman numerals, and a fancy border between the numerals and the centre of the dial.

e.g.

Noodles 1933 watch

Has a square dial, ordinary numerals, no obvious brand name, a rather bland face and a small second hand area.

Noodles 1968 watch

A round dial and no obviously visible brand name

Great, btw what's the brand in your opinion?
Clearly not Cartier, but isn't Tank Louis very similar to Noodles' one (except for the ordinary numerals)?

Then, can you see if the dial's gold or silver, and the strap black or brown?

One last thing: could you please post the other Noodles' watch (Detroit shootout scene)?
That seems  gold dial and black leather strap (with yellow display too)... is it correct?

Thanks Chris

Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:34:30 AM »

Or maybe is it more like JLC Reverso?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:55:40 AM »

...One last thing: could you please post the other Noodles' watch (Detroit shootout scene)?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:15:28 AM by chris » Logged
Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:16:10 AM »

K then what's your idea about that?

chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 03:34:58 AM »

The list of people in the movie's credits includes bvlgari watches but it doesn't look like one of theirs.

Possibly an early Rolex but if so I would expect their name to be visible on the dial.

Web sites specializing in naming watches in movies don't include this movie but perhaps someone knowledgeable on those sites could identify it from our caps.  

The identity of Noodles' watch has been discussed on the following site but their screen cap is not as clear as ours.

http://orologi.forumfree.it/?t=68756249

It certainly has the look of a 1920s or 1930s watch and in last night's episode of Mr Selfridge, which is set in that period, one of the cast members was wearing something similar.

Noodles' watch is more authentic with the numbers 1 to 5 and 11 to 7 being in a straight line down the sides of the dial.  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:15:39 AM by chris » Logged
Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 03:43:06 AM »

1. Do you agree JLC Reverso (i'm buying it in 1 week) is the closest watch to Noodles' one?

2. Then, maybe you can zoom ti better to see more clearly.. is it brown strap with gold dial or black strap with silver dial? Can't say it, isn't it black/silver at Deborah date and brown/gold throughout the rest of the movie (opium den/ratting/beginning/etc.)?

Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:55:02 AM »

Chris, can you also post some photos of the watch Noodles wears during Deborah dinner?
I really think it's black strap/silver dial, ordinary numerals..

Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 05:14:55 AM »

Chris, i'm waiting for your reply, it'd be very helpful.

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 02:43:39 AM »

Pretty certain that the first watch is a 1930's Art Deco Rotary watch - they were very popular in the 1930's especially in the UK
I'll have a look at the 1960's watch and report back - also in case your interested the lighter De Niro uses to light Max's cigar is a Dunhill😉👍

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 03:02:51 AM »

The second watch I would guess is a Timex Marlin (late 1960's) very popular in the US around this time - hope this helps.

Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 07:07:36 AM »

Pretty certain that the first watch is a 1930's Art Deco Rotary watch - they were very popular in the 1930's especially in the UK
I'll have a look at the 1960's watch and report back - also in case your interested the lighter De Niro uses to light Max's cigar is a Dunhill😉👍

INTERESTING! How do you know that's Dunhill?

LITTLE BIG MAN
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »

De Niro donated his costumes, scripts, props etc. to the Harry Ransom Center (Austin Texas)-  I'm sure I noticed the Dunhill lighter listed in the OUATIA section😉

Harry Goldberg
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »

Damn!! Where can i see that list??
And does it say De Niro used a Dunhill in OUATIA?Huh

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM