Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 07:47:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  References to American Westerns in FAFDM
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: References to American Westerns in FAFDM  (Read 4913 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »

We all know that OUATITW was Leone's homage to the American Western, and OUATIA was his homage to the American gangster film; those two movies contain numerous references to AW's and American gangster films, respectively.

But Leone's other Westerns contain references to AW's as well. On dj's suggestion, I'll start this thread for  discussing references to AW's in FAFDM. (Perhaps we can make a similar thread for other Leone movies in each movie's section.)

I know some of these AW references in FAFDM have been mentioned elsewhere in these boards in various threads, but it's nice to have them all in a single thread.

To start with, in FAFDM: the scene with Mortimer seeing the whore in the bathtub in Tucumcari:

In Texas (1941), there is a scene where William Holden is running away from people chasing him; he runs through a second-floor hotel room, there is a sheriff in the bath, and Holden says, "Pardon me, Sheriff!"

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 11:56:42 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 04:14:23 AM »

A pocket watch was used to some extent in The Bravados (1958) with Gregory Peck and Lee Van Cleef

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:05:41 AM »

Sheriff star in disgust, have seen that a few times, like end of High Noon.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:54:59 PM »

As Cusser alluded to, in FAFDM, in the town of White Rocks, Monco throws the star into the hat of one of the townspeaople and says, "You people need a new sheriff," perhaps a reference to Will Kane throwing his tin star into the dirt in disgust in High Noon.

As CJ mentioned, a pocketwatch with a photo (which, btw, involves Lee Van Cleef) is a big part of The Bravados; we've discussed it in that movie's thread.

Also Frayling has mentioned and we have discussed it plenty   one of the big references in FAFDM is Vera Cruz, with the partnership between the young and wild gunslinger (Burt Lancaster) and the older and more careful one (Gary Cooper)
We've discussed this plenty in the Vera Cruz thread http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2213.0

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:01:53 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:11:07 AM »

I"ve seen the half shaved face also in another film, maybe My Darling Clementine, maybe not.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:12:23 AM »

I"ve seen the half shaved face also in another film, maybe My Darling Clementine, maybe not.

I remember Frayling discussing that in the dvd commentary, the half-shaved face; I forgot of he said it was MY DARLING CLEMENTINE or another movie. MDC also has a barber scene, of course, but I don't recall that bit with the half-shaved face. May have been another movie.

Btw, a scene was filmed for OUATITW with Fonda in barbershop as a reference to MDC, but it was removed from final cut.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

New ref  Afro Afro Afro Afro

Pocket watch with picture of Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane in Cecil B. Demille's The Plainsman (1936), and get this somebody asks Gary Cooper if that's his his sister and the watch is also musical.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

somebody asks Gary Cooper if that's his his sister
Except in the German version, where they ask if it's his father  Cheesy

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM