Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 02:11:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  LIMO SCENE?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: LIMO SCENE?  (Read 4319 times)
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2004, 10:19:25 AM »

I love this movie. Saw it first time around in the cinema and countless times since. One thing thing has always bothered me, the rape in the limo! Why? Yes, it add's to the NOODLES character because of what he is (and I'm no way excusing rape). But, why, in cinema terms does it go on so long! The guy driving the limo eventually stops and politly ejects NOODLES. The scene could have begun and ended several moments earlier with the same outcome. Never did get it? Embarrassed

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Garadonna
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 02:05:51 PM »

to show that rape is really unpleasent to do, the longer it goes the more painfull to watch. i was surprised too cos it was just after a realy good happy dance scene.by the way does any one else think deborah is HOT

And if one of them should pat your behind.... just make belive its nothing. They earned it
Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 02:08:02 PM »

You probably know this but the driver of the limo was played by Arnon Milchan who produced the movie.

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 04:48:44 PM »

No I do not think Deborah is hot, now Jennifer Connely yes.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 01:11:07 PM »

Young Deb (Connelly) is hot, had star quality even at that age; older Deb (McGovern) not, bad casting.  Current Connelly still hot.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 04:45:22 PM »

yes, yes, & yes

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 10:14:17 PM »

The question remains.....why does the scene go on for so long?Huh? To me, it's a bad choice, in cinema terms. For such an inventive director, it seems terribly out of place. Was LEONE trying to outdo SAM PECKINPAH, as in the dreadful STRAW DOGS? I find it a very sloppy scene. Very much like the rape in A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE! .  Embarrassed

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Simon
Bandido

"You see, I have a story too Mr Baily"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 11:57:09 AM »

Belkin, have a look at an old thread started by Aaronson. General Discussion, Page 12, Do women like the rape scenes? Some very interesting points.

I totally agree with your point. I truly love this film and have watched it many many times in the last seventeen years.
I actually fear this scene and wind it forward every time I watch the film. It is truly horrible and does certainly go on for too long. The scene is necessary as it shows gangsters to be the dispicable, evil people that they generally are but the duration of it spoils for me, an otherwise perfect film.

"What's a Mook?"
THE BIG MAN
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 04:37:26 PM »

I love this movie. Saw it first time around in the cinema and countless times since. One thing thing has always bothered me, the rape in the limo! Why? Yes, it add's to the NOODLES character because of what he is (and I'm no way excusing rape). But, why, in cinema terms does it go on so long! The guy driving the limo eventually stops and politly ejects NOODLES. The scene could have begun and ended several moments earlier with the same outcome. Never did get it? Embarrassed
Totally agree.  When the film had its Premiere at the Cannes film festival in 1984 Leone and De Niro came in for some strong criticism for the rape scenes-  After this De Niro then  refused to do any more publicity for the film (fuelling rumors director and star had a falling out over these scenes).  When De Niro gave an interview for the opening of the film Falling in Love months later - he talked about the Limo scene in OUATIA -"It made its point-but went on".

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM