Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2018, 11:31:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Foxcatcher (2014)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Foxcatcher (2014)  (Read 1776 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/the-making-of-foxcatcher.html

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:28 AM »

A poster over at criterionforum.org did a write up of the film, his last paragraph being the pertinent one:
The film, shot by Greg Fraiser, looks great, but the look of it isn't the main thing -- Foxcatcher aspires to a sort of polished mainstream realism that can be a little more expressive when it needs to but doesn't call too much attention to itself and reminds me of the best of Jonathan Demme's mid career work, films like The Silence of the Lambs. Everything here seems to have been shot and cut within an inch of its life -- in the best possible sense -- and almost always in the service of the performances, of wringing one more layer or nuance out of any given line reading. The editing is also elliptical and coy about timeframes major and minor, all of it adding to the closed off feeling of the whole. There are a lot of bold sound choices, moments where the sound or dialogue cuts out altogether or the normal sound of a room gets muddled (for those who hate the Interstellar mix, here's how to do it right). There's not a lot of smoothing over things with ambiance. And the music, especially a piece by Atom Egoyan's go-to guy Mychael Danna, is evocative and dare I say Egoyanesque, fitting for such a weird relationship drama.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 10:12:42 AM »

Good article post Afro Very excited to see it but no showings around my area at the moment.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »

My quick take:
Foxcatcher (2014) - 8/10. The story of wrestlers Dave and Mark Schulz and their relationship with John Eleuthère du Pont, a batshit crazy multimillionaire. The Schulz bros are played Mark Ruffulo and Channing Tatum, respectively. John du Pont is played by Steve Carell, a prosthetic nose, and a dental appliance. All the performances are rock solid. The director, Bennett Miller, builds steadily to a climax that most won't see coming (unless they read the reviews or know the almost-true story already). The film score is quietly effective.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »

SPOILERS, but a pretty good analysis: http://www.blu-ray.com/Foxcatcher/157420/#Preview

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 02:06:05 PM »

Feb 17 for the Blu: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Foxcatcher-Blu-ray/120156/

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »

Great article, thanks! Unfortunately, only the first half of the movie deserves this kind of coverage.

My quick take:
Foxcatcher (2014) - 8/10. The story of wrestlers Dave and Mark Schulz and their relationship with John Eleuthère du Pont, a batshit crazy multimillionaire. The Schulz bros are played Mark Ruffulo and Channing Tatum, respectively. John du Pont is played by Steve Carell, a prosthetic nose, and a dental appliance. All the performances are rock solid. The director, Bennett Miller, builds steadily to a climax that most won't see coming (unless they read the reviews or know the almost-true story already). The film score is quietly effective.

SPOILER ALERT

I did my best not to read anything about the film but I thought the climax was quite obvious. The tension keeps growing while they keep showing Dupont's dangerous behavior with firearms. The only question was which of the two brothers would be shot. That being said, I'm only talking about my experience (that may have been tailored by the trailer giving extra importance to the early gun scenes).My girlfriend, who didn't know ANYTHING about the film, didn't see it coming at all. When leaving the theater, I heard a few conversations in the audience and it seemed to be a hot topic: "Did you see it coming?" "Definitely. I've been expecting this from the begining." "Not at all! How could I?" So may be it's half and half.
Still, the strongest argument for seeing it coming is: why would they do a movie about absolutely nothing but a relationship and then write in white on black "inspired by true events", if no one gets shot?
 It's exactly the same thing in A BEautiful Mind: the "inspired by true events" mention spoils any possibility of twist ending to me. Which is not a problem in the Foxcatcher since it's what kept me awake during the second half. It was a problem, though, in A Beautiful Mind, because you end up wondering quite fast why the hell you're watching this movie.

My take on the movie as published on the RTLMYS thread:

Foxcatcher - 6/10
The first hour is 9/10: fascinating and perfectly done. The next one is 4/10: far less interesting stuff takes place, the characters are all wasted... and the direction becomes average: when you're going for ultra minimalist storytelling and camerawork, you'd better have smart things to say for you to express them in a smart way. That's what the first hour is about. When the story and the characters become weaker, the slightlest shot ends up heavily underlining some basic stuff, destroying the whole purpose of the movie and its storytelling.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:17:39 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Also, DJ, now is your time: this movie features the gayest subtext ever.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:01:33 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 10:50:50 AM »

SPOILER ALERT

I did my best not to read anything about the film but I thought the climax was quite obvious. The tension keeps growing while they keep showing Dupont's dangerous behavior with firearms. The only question was which of the two brothers would be shot. That being said, I'm only talking about my experience (that may have been tailored by the trailer giving extra importance to the early gun scenes).My girlfriend, who didn't know ANYTHING about the film, didn't see it coming at all. When living the theater, I heard a few conversations in the audience and it seemed to be a hot topic: "Did you see it coming?" "Definitely. I've been expecting this from the begining." "Not at all! How could I?" So may be it's half and half.
Still, the strongest argument for seeing it coming is: why would they do a movie about absolutely nothing but a relationship and then write in white on black "inspired by true events", if no one gets shot?
 It's exactly the same thing in A BEautiful Mind: the "inspired by true events" mention spoils any possibility of twist ending to me. Which is not a problem in the Foxcatcher since it's what kept me awake during the second half. It was a problem, though, in A Beautiful Mind, because you end up wondering quite fast why the hell you're watching this movie.
I know what you're talking about . . . I'd heard from somewhere that this was a true crime film, so I was expecting a crime, and that gave me something to watch for. I just didn't know who was gonna commit the crime and who would be on the receiving end. I thought at first the Channing Tatum character was going to kill Dupont over something of value. Later I figured Dupont would be doing the killing, but which of the brothers he'd go after wasn't clear. I was genuinely surprised by the scene when the violence occurred. If I hadn't known there was a crime attached to this story, it would have been even more shocking to me. That's probably the better way to watch the film, not knowing what to expect. And you're right, the Inspired By True Events tag sort of alerts viewers to expect something sensational, so it's a kind of spoiler too. Some films I don't mind being spoiled (the terrible "I See Dead People" film comes to mind), but this is definitely a film that works best if you have no expectations for it going in. So if anybody's been reading this and they haven't already seen the movie, you're screwed.

END SPOILERS

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »

Also, DJ, now is your time: this movie features the gayest subtext ever.
Yeah, but it's so obvious, there's no fun in underlining it. Sad

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 06:21:04 PM »

Closer to Jenkins than Noodles on this one.

Bennett Miller's Foxcatcher (2014) is a slow-burn psychodrama. Miller uses a real-life crime for an oppressive, eerie drama that's gripping, yet elusive.

Eccentric heir John Du Pont (Steve Carell) approaches Olympic wrestler Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) to organize his Foxcatcher team for the 1988 Olympics. Du Pont shows an unsettling interest in Mark, pushing him into drugs and liquor, adversely affecting his athleticism. Concerned about Du Pont's influence, brother and fellow wrestler Dave (Mark Ruffalo) joins Foxcatcher and tries whipping Mark into shape. But Dave's intervention pushes Du Pont over the edge.

Foxcatcher looks at codependent burn-outs. Du Pont seems merely eccentric, firing pistols at practices and wrestling seniors, but his obsession with Mark hints at inner darkness. He spars with his horse-loving mother (Vanessa Redgrave), who considers wrestling a "low sport," and struggles to be taken seriously. Mark, unable to parlay Olympic success into real life, becomes Du Pont's friend, with an attachment bordering on servitude. He grows estranged from Dave, whose efforts to help merely set tragedy in motion.

Foxcatcher is detached and clinical, perhaps to a fault. Miller's direction opts for long shots and wide angles, whether surveying the Pennsylvania countryside or watching Mark's matches, and fading out dialogue in key scenes. Neither Miller nor writers E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman probe Du Pont's psychoses, or his hold on the Schultz's, in detail beyond suggestions and surface signs. But these manifestations are disturbing enough.

Steve Carell's performance is downright eerie. John's withdrawn and aloof to a fault, something Carell presents with understated, penetrative creepiness. Channing Tatum is similarly restrained, into. Mark Ruffalo's jovial desperation provides some much-needed life. Vanessa Redgrave briefly portrays Du Pont's disapproving mother; Sienna Miller, Dave's wife.

Foxcatcher isn't intimate enough to move viewers, but it's convincing enough to creep them out. Then again, real psychopaths often elude real understanding; giving Du Pont a tragic motive wouldn't make him any less a murderer. 8/10

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2016/03/foxcatcher.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM