Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 09:56:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  L.A. Confidential (1997)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: L.A. Confidential (1997)  (Read 3943 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 04:33:56 AM »

Did you read the other novels too which form the LA quartet?

I have, they are all good reads, the novel had Exley a fake war hero who faked a massacre of Japanese troops.

My biggest problem with the film was the lack of fedoras, it was a conscious effort by the Director to exclude them, like making a Western without horses or cowboy hats, lol, and Bunker Hill is missing in action, done in by LA redevelopment. I prefer Mulholland Falls the more and more I watch it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 12:17:02 PM »

Did you read the other novels too which form the LA quartet?

I've only read L.A. Confidential , even though I have a copy of The Big Nowhere sitting to be read. I have read his Underworld USA Trilogy though and I enjoyed every one of those, especially The Cold Six Thousand.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 12:51:13 PM »

I've only read L.A. Confidential , even though I have a copy of The Big Nowhere sitting to be read. I have read his Underworld USA Trilogy though and I enjoyed every one of those, especially The Cold Six Thousand.

Then read The Big Nowhere, it is one of his best. But you can also start with the first one The Black Dahlia, but it less connected with the other 3, which belong more together.

The first novel of his latest trilogy is a direct successor to White Jazz, which is the direct successor to L.A. Confidential. But this Underworld USA trilogy is imo always too much, it is all too monstrous now, the stories and characters get lost in an endless flow of massacres and killings. But I haven't read The Cold Six Thousand yet, cause I lost a little interest meanwhile, but I will do soon.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 04:26:06 PM »

Then read The Big Nowhere, it is one of his best. But you can also start with the first one The Black Dahlia, but it less connected with the other 3, which belong more together.

The first novel of his latest trilogy is a direct successor to White Jazz, which is the direct successor to L.A. Confidential. But this Underworld USA trilogy is imo always too much, it is all too monstrous now, the stories and characters get lost in an endless flow of massacres and killings. But I haven't read The Cold Six Thousand yet, cause I lost a little interest meanwhile, but I will do soon.

I've just recently finished Blood's A Rover about a month ago, didn't like this last set as much as the LA Quartet, a bit too much political hijinks rather than crime. 

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »

I checked out The Black Dahlia along with some other books from the school library so I'll get around to reading that and The Big Nowhere soon enough. I can understand how the Underworld USA trilogy can be seen as too much but I enjoyed all three of the books. It's actually American Tabloid that probably got me interested in Ellroy's writing.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2016, 05:00:15 AM »

I've just recently finished Blood's A Rover about a month ago, didn't like this last set as much as the LA Quartet, a bit too much political hijinks rather than crime.  

Just checked the original titles, and I made a mistake. It is Blood's Rover, the last one, which I haven't read. Not The Cold 6000. The Underworld USA trilogy is more political stuff than the novels before, but the main problem is that they are, as I said, too convoluted with characters and incidents, it's all way over the top. And I assume that won't be different in Blood's Rover. That's why I'm not in a hurry to read it.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:07:01 AM by stanton » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »

I bet Howard Hunt ghost-wrote it.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Kurug3n
Bounty Killer

Que pasa?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »

Just checked the original titles, and I made a mistake. It is Blood's Rover, the last one, which I haven't read. Not The Cold 6000. The Underworld USA trilogy is more political stuff than the novels before, but the main problem is that they are, as I said, too convoluted with characters and incidents, it's all way over the top. And I assume that won't be different in Blood's Rover. That's why I'm not in a hurry to read it.

The beginning of Blood's A Rover actually has a pretty good robbery and then it turns into a historical novel with the setting around the time the Vietnam war was ending. I didn't enjoy it as much as The Cold Six Thousand but it ended the trilogy to leave me satisfied.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 04:14:07 PM »

I prefer Mulholland Falls the more and more I watch it.

I don't see how anyone can have this opinion, I say that as respectfully as possible. It would be comparable to someone saying they prefer The Valachi Papers to The Godfather.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 04:59:58 PM »

I don't see how anyone can have this opinion, I say that as respectfully as possible. It would be comparable to someone saying they prefer The Valachi Papers to The Godfather.

Its pretty simple really I don't like Kevin Spacey   , Russell Crowe, or Guy Pearce as much as Nick Nolte   , Melanie Griffith, Chazz Palminteri, Michael Madsen, John Malkovich, Chris Penn, Treat Williams, and Jennifer Connelly.

Plus it's got fedoras and the Olds and the desert visuals Afro Afro Afro

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:32:09 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »

It would be comparable to someone saying they prefer The Valachi Papers to The Godfather.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM