Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:15:36 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Bone Tomahawk (2015)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bone Tomahawk (2015)  (Read 1381 times)
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/

This is really good in terms of keeping the dialogue non-pretentuous, entertaining and flowing with the characters all at the same time. I mean it's really good, very realistic for a movie Western, I haven't seen anything like it a long time. Unfortunately for 2/3 of the movie that's basically all that happens... I mean, it's not, it just feels that way cause of the ending devoid of any antagonist worth mentioning, any finale, or any meaning.

I guess it's like the woman said: the OW wasn't a tough place because of Indians, wild beasts or the weather - but because of idiots.

Still, it's worth a 7/10.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:20:14 AM »

My thoughts from the Rate a Movie thread:

Don't be put off by any potential horror/gore elements, this is a damn good western with some soul. It was clearly made by someone that loves and understands the genre. The casting is excellent, as is the dialogue, and moves at a nice clip even though it's paced in a relaxed way, like an old Hollywood western.

Bone Tomahawk is definitely more of a western than a horror movie, its gore is completely justifiable for those who aren't horror fans.

8.5-9/10

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »

Can't say I disagree with anything you wrote.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 08:11:45 AM »

I found this surprisingly good too. This is what I wrote elsewhere:

I began watching this a little concerned. I don't like horror (unless it is more thriller than gore - Polanski style for example) as I don't like excessive gore particularly when just for tasteless shock value. In addition, I don't particularly appreciate films without a fluid camera - I never quite understood what makes people ever think "point and shoot" can be equated with cinema.

In spite of all that, this was actually pretty darn good. By the way, how did Zahler get such a great cast when he clearly had a very low budget?

Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:14 AM »

Gonna throw you guys a wild curveball with this one.  First, i saw this movie about a year ago. Its a VERY underrated Western which is destined to become a cult classic.  It has some truly horrifying moments in it.  It starts great, kinda drags a little, then explodes.  Now, the curveball. Its been said by people who believe in bigfoot ( sasquatch), that this story is a retelling of a supposedly true "bigfoot" war that occurred in 1855 in Oklahoma. Dont judge me, im just reporting what i read when i was researching this movie.  Whether its true or  not, the movie has striking similarities to the story below. That alone makes this a must watch film:

http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com/2012/10/humans-and-bigfoots-fought-each-other.html

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:03:03 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/reference

It's sure to be a bone of contention...

Written and directed by S. Craig Zahler, Bone Tomahawk stars Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson, Matthew Fox, Richard Jenkins and Lili Simmons. Music is by Zahler and Jeff Herriott and cinematography by Benji Bakshi.

Ah, yes, the horror western hybrid, a most difficult thing to get right at the best of times, even harder to entice newcomers to the sub- genre splice if they don't particularly like horror or westerns! This is a tough sell, a pic of startling originality, but of homage worthiness as well, that it kind of feels like a film made for a secret society of film fans. A society perhaps like the Troglodyte tribe who dominate the horror aspect of this particular tale.

Plot is set in the wild west, where after a set of circumstances leads to the kidnapping of three people from the local jail - by members of the Troglodyte tribe, four men set off on a rescue mission...

How splendid to find a narrative that isn't afraid to nod towards one of the most revered westerns of all time, yet be its own entity at the same time. Bone Tomahawk will polarise opinions, no question about it, the whole middle section involves a travelogue pumped by characterisations and a need to set the stage for what will occur in the final third. However, to even think that the four horsemen of the apocalypse bulk of this movie is mere slow time cinema is unfair, for dark comedy is at work - a racist horse? Surely not?

So the screenplay not only sparkles with wit, but it also pulses with drama, drama that comes from human stubbornness. Be it men who know that no matter what will happen, they will maybe die in honour due to mistakes or mismanagement, or just a matter of redemption, this mission on the surface seems pure folly, but in reality there is more at work here. And thus comes the horror, characters have been well formed, we know them and are interested in what will happen to them. Like or dislike is irrelevant, we bloody know them, so as the film hits its raging "B" movie straps, shouting at the screen or wincing in harmony becomes a requisite. As is squirming...

Intricately paced, beautifully photographed and splendidly performed by a top cast who aren't interested in top billing or walk of fame recognition, Bone Tomahawk is a grade "A" culter. Zahler could be someone to keep an eye on. 9/10

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »

Very under rated movie. Surprised there are not many reviews about it on this board...

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »

I haven't seen it. I'm always wary of buying new stuff, so it's on my Netflix cue.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »

It was a major enough release to be on Redbox which is how I saw it. I was pleasantly surprised as I mentioned earlier.

Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 01:46:34 AM »

I haven't seen it. I'm always wary of buying new stuff, so it's on my Netflix cue.

You gotta see this movie.  Already a cult classic...

Spikeopath
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »

You gotta see this movie.  Already a cult classic...

But be prepared to wince!!  Shocked

Out you get Hooky, you done your bit.
Moorman
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 02:26:22 PM »

But be prepared to wince!!  Shocked

Very true...lmao

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:21 PM »

Very true...lmao

Ok finally saw this. It's great but it's a cop out.

The funny thing is this didn't have to be about "troglodytes," if you read enough history, journals, and letters of the early frontier and the West you'd know that nothing that went down in this film was very far off from what the Native American tribes actually did to other tribes and to European colonists. I'm actually of the opinion that it could be that the PC powers that be would never greenlight a film that showed Native Americans as they actually were. Just take away the strange voice calls and call them Iroquois, Ottawa, Hurons, Blackfeet, Sioux, Comanches, Apache, Yaqui, get the idea.  

8/10

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:36:41 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 01:13:58 PM »

A rather scathing review here in that respect:

Itís also difficult for me to imagine that a movie thatís so well-made and well-conceived in basically every other respect is so willfully ignorant about its bad racist symbolism.

A more sympathetic comment here suggesting that maybe the opposite was the intent:

" ...although it touches on larger issues like the racism and ignorance of the Old West, it doesnít use the Troglodytes as metaphor the way it might have."

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 07:44:47 AM »

BD review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_77/bone_tomahawk_blu-ray.htm

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM