Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:27:25 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 68932 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2003, 03:17:31 PM »

What ever happened to this film, is it available on DVD? I never see it listed, at least in the few spots I've looked. What do you guys know about it?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 11:39:15 AM »

This was a very good Lee Van Cleef, SW, film, music by Ennio Morrecone, it may have had other titles in different contries, any body out there know? This is one I'd get for my collection. Thomas Milian was the other main actor.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
nighteagle
Chicken Thief

draw your gun, if you can...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 07:31:26 AM »

Big Gundown, director Sergio Sollima, judged best SW ever made besides the Leone artworks.
If you go to the Video Search of Miami - Cult movie website
(www.vsom.com) you can find most SW as VHS copies
of a master tape. Big Gundown is offered as an hybrid
mix of italian and english language (why so?)
I have a full uncut version in widescreen, however recorded from an
italian TV channel broadcast. I donīt know of any other editions.
 Embarrassed

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 11:02:24 AM »

Thats too bad it would be nice to see a DVD of it.

visitor
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 10:05:54 PM »

LA RESA DEI CONTI aka THE BIG GUNDOWN
15 mins cut when released in English by Columbia Pictures.(thus the hybrid/compilation bootlegs)
Never officially released on video in the US in any format
Currently available as dvd-r from Luminous(widescreen in Spanish with English subs-missing some footage)

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 10:50:53 AM »

Caught Big Gundown (again) last week on cable Encore Westerns (it's Spaghetti month, with Adios Sabata, Death Rides a Horse, Silver LAke, Sledge, etc.), at least it was no commercials but wasn't widescreen.  Anyway, Jonathan corbett (van Cleef) is supposed to be the best tracker, bounty hunter, etc. (like Angel Eyes) but Cuchillo repeatedly outsmarts him, so this doesn't make sense.  Anybody also have trouble with this?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 06:57:59 PM »

You know I haven't seen this one in an awful long time, so I can't really recall all the details. I just remember that I considered it one of my favorites after Leone's westerns. I'll have to pick up a DVD of it someday.

intothepaulymonium
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 09:53:20 AM »

Any reviews good or bad?

I tried to get it a looooong time ago, but it was out of stock.   Does "Lee Van Cleef" give an exceptional performance, as I would expect him to?

Also, is the Morricone score "hypnotizing" as well?

Cheers.

El Bon
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 12:27:21 PM »

I have seen the cut British  and the Full version with the cut scenes in Italian on VHS which were unfortunately 2nd or 3rd generation copies. So i am waiting to see a top quality DVD release (please soon) before i can give a proper verdict. Van Cleef is very good though as is Milian and the score is great

Tucster
Road Apple

I hope your mother ends up in a $2 whorehouse!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 01:00:26 PM »

This is a must see...Van Cleef and Milian are outstanding!

It's no joke...it's a rope!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2004, 07:58:37 PM »

Out of the non Leone Spaghetti Westerns that I saw on the big screen in the late 1960's (not that I saw many) it was the best LVC performance, and Millian was outstanding.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 07:59:37 PM by cigar joe » Logged

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2004, 03:15:27 AM »

And still missing a DVD release.
Maybe all this GB&U treatment this springtime will change things.

P.S. I think UA/Columbia own the rights.
Not sure who they fall under these days with mergers and takeover with film companies.  Huh

« Last Edit: March 28, 2004, 03:16:48 AM by The Smoker » Logged

rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 04:01:18 PM »

Does anyone know where I can get The Big Gundown on DVD?  I have just about completed my collection of the Top 20 Non-Leone spag. westerns but can't seem to find The Big Gundown which is listed as Number 1.  It's driving me crazy.  Actually bought a music CD called the Big Gundown which is a experimental jazz album by John Zorn.  He plays a bunch of Ennio Morricone  movie music.  Unless you are into experimental type music I do not reccommend it.  Very weird in my opinion.  I like straight Morriconne.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 07:46:24 AM »

It pops up on ebay pretty regularly. Not something you can get thru normal channels I dont think. Someone needs to pull their head out and give us a widescreen r1 dvd

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 04:35:46 PM »

In true anti-hero tradition......

If you check the "Spaghetti Westerns in America" web link in the links section of this site and go back to the posts of June 29th you'll find a way to get a DVD of TBG in both NTSC and PAL. Sounds like it was a labor of love from a devout SW fan who couldn't wait for an official release its gotten rave reviews from SW fans and is the longest version of this film available. Longer that the cut version shown on the Western Channel.

Some details:

The movie runs a total of 1 hour 45 min., 29 seconds, as opposed to 1 hour 29 min, 10 seconds with the current Cinemax verson that airs on TV.
It is a widescreen presentation of the film. The source was originally in PAL format. I've created both a PAL and an NTSC version of the final DVD-r. The original video has been compressed approx. %15 to fit onto the DVD-r disc.
The disc has selectable 'original Italian soundtrack' or 'newly created English soundtrack with subtitled parts.' You select the audio on the menu before the movie starts.

The disc has the original trailer for the film.

There's a chapter selection spot as well as an 'About The Reconstruction' section that gives a brief history of the different versions released in North America (based on the different versions used)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:48:31 AM by Banjo » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM