Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 12:04:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 68924 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 10:08:04 PM »

PAL I'm not sure myself, think its for other than North America. lol, I'm no expert.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2004, 02:47:54 AM »

So how do we get a hold of it? Are you the man for that Cigar Joe? Being american and all?  Cheesy

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2004, 05:01:04 PM »

Blueberry, not me, lol,  go to:

http://www.sartana.homestead.com/index.html

Then surf back to June 29th and you will find the threads you are looking for.

I Think it was based on the recent Spanish DVD release, and was put together from bits and pieces of english diologue supplied from various VHS recordindgs of SW fans around the world. It is quite an accomplishment if you think about it.

Its a shame that it is not officially released, but you Blueberry being in Europe, would have a better acccess to the Spanish DVD, no?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2004, 09:30:53 AM »

Here's a direct link to the details. Sounds good !!

http://disc.server.com/discussion.cgi?disc=160642;article=78321;title=Spaghetti%20Western%20Web%20Board;pagemark=100

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2004, 09:16:57 PM »

Ok, I just got done watching my pristine copy of "La Resa Di Conti" (The Big Gundown) what a gorgeous film and what a great Morricone score.

I haven't seen this movie for over 30 years and now to actually own a restoration of it is beyond my wildest dreams. Its the longest version that is available and if I had to mention any downside to it it is the lack of english sountrack for a couple of sequences. It is a little reminder that it is a Spaghetti Western after all (english subtitles provide a bridge between the english audio sections) .

A bigger restoration budget and a voice actor for Van Cleef and some of the other characters would be all it would take to make this complete. But its well worth the money and I suggest you all get yourselves this essential Van Cleef western. The cinnematography of Carlo Carlini is wonderful and you will be reminded of Leone and Tonnio Delli Colli.

The interaction between Cuchillo and Corbet will make you think of Blondie and Tuco.

All in all its a top notch restoration job that was long in comming by Franco Cleef Productions and all I can say is a big heartfelt  thanks.

Get it guys & gals we may never get as complete as restoration as this.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2004, 09:18:24 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Thosefalsenotes
Road Apple

Watch me.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2004, 01:09:48 AM »

I'm afraid I'm still too dense to figure out how to purchase it. Do I simply email "Franco"?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2004, 04:19:14 AM »

yes

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2004, 03:38:23 PM »

Franco put mine in the post on monday.
If its anywhere near his Sartana stuff in quality, very slick.
Which its suppose to surpass. . a real labour of love.
Its been filled out in comparison to the channel 4 version i already own.

Only been hearing good stuff from Forum bods & mate about this,
Hes is havin a viewing on Saturday night..
Might dodge it until mine arrives thou.  Grin

« Last Edit: July 14, 2004, 03:46:05 PM by The Smoker » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2004, 04:41:39 PM »

You know I'm still basking in the afterglow of this DVD.  Its really right up there very close to Leone as far as SW's go.

I forgotbafter 30 years how good it was, I remember it was a good movie but now through the lenz of time and all the crap that followed it is really a top shelf effort and it will not diassapoint you.

It has it all, a funny cat and mouse theme with Corbet and Cuchillo that sort of turns the tables on the Tuco/Blondie relationship, in Gundown the Peon has the upper hand.

Just get it for collector purposes even if an official release comes out some where down the road this is a gem. The Morricone score ranks up there with his best, the cinematography is beautiful, I can't stress this enough that you won't be disapointed.

I'm now on a quest for the rest of Sergio Sollimas westerns, lol.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2004, 06:23:52 PM »

CJ, are you drinking the koolaid again?  This better not be another Great Silence  Lips Sealed

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2004, 04:24:44 AM »

No seriously its good, the chase through the canefields and into the desert at the end play like Tucos Ecstacy of Gold run in the cemetary and the two standoff's at the end are good.

Sollima in this film is much more like Leone than Corbuchi. Make it a part of your collection this one is worthy and needs the full SE treatment.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

Run Man Run is available on R1 and R2 DVD i think its on Blue Underground, Face to Face is more difficult to find. Im really looking forward 2 seeing the big gundown wonder why its so neglected by DVD, VHS and TV showings? Huh

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2004, 01:38:36 PM »

Wow , must be to each his own as I enjoyed The Great Silence as much as The Big Gundown. These are the best 2 non Leones I have come across.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 04:28:57 AM »

You know on the IMDb I checked for LVC and for Morricone and it lists The Big Gundown as comming before GBU this is interesting in a lot of respects, since I've read reviews that TBG was like a copy (credits style and music style) to GBU. Yhis would put a different slant on things.

mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 08:29:44 AM »

I just noticed that myself. I always thought gbu was first.  This film deserves a much higher rating on imdb, it would definitely rise with a mainstream widescreen r1 dvd release. Milian and LVC were both great in their roles and morricone was never better. Some of Sollimas images from the film (I wont spoil them for those who havent seen it) are classic and would make for awesome screen captures!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM