Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 01:56:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 69024 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2013, 02:27:19 PM »

the review makes a major error: the restored scenes do have English dialog.
that's what happens when professionals review films  Evil

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »

that's what happens when professionals review films  Evil

even "professionals" make mistakes Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

I have revised my review.
The cane field chase has NOT been restored.

Lo siento, amigos
bruce marshall

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 27, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »

I have revised my review.
The cane field chase has NOT been restored.
Even in the Italian version?

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 27, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »

Even in the Italian version?

The Italian version is complete - no cuts!
bruce

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 31, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »

The FC version is complete with app. 3 minutes of footage in Italian.
bruce marshall

What about the music?

Regarding the American cut of the film [from a BD booklet essay by Gergely Hubai]:
Morricone's music is often victimized by [the] cuts, though only one of his cues was removed entirely from the American version: "Dopo la condanna" which is played during the meeting with the three Colorado hoodlums was simply removed because the corresponding scene was shortened by several minutes and the music didn't fit anymore. It's apparent that the editors of the American version had access to the music as well, because there are other changes to be found: the meeting with the unhelpful settler, for instance, was scored with two cues tracked from other parts of the movie--the scene plays without music in the Italian version. If there happened to be music during a tampered scene, the editors either applied some fading to mask their efforts, or simply cut the music at a particularly repetitive passage. The scoring of the finale is noticeably different--the American version uses a more triumphant reprise of the main theme instead of Morricone's original composition.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »

Gary FINALLY reviews the Grindhouse release: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/the_big_gundown_blu-ray.htm

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »

I just competed my full resolution version that combines the two cuts, retaining as much english as possible, and subtitles for the italian dialog where necessary...not an easy task as nearly every scene in the italian cut has extra shots, lines of dialog etc. I know a guy named "franco cleef" did this back a while ago with dvd, but now I can watch the uncut film in hd with Lee van cleefs voice! The audio edits are pretty smooth considering the two tracks are quite different (including different music placement etc - on music I defered to the Italian where possible.  I will probably upload a large mkv file of it up at myspleen (a torrent site for fan edits). The grindhouse blu Ray set is fantastic...I kinda wish they had done this but now I understand why they couldn't, I think the average viewer would be confused by the constant switching between italian and English...but I really don't mind it and I took matters into my own hands Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »

nice  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »

You da man!  Afro

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »

I just competed my full resolution version that combines the two cuts, retaining as much english as possible, and subtitles for the italian dialog where necessary.......  I will probably upload a large mkv file of it up at myspleen (a torrent site for fan edits). ...

That sounds great, we all thank you.  If you do upload it, I'd be interested, but would need "simple" instructions.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2015, 08:20:15 AM »

The grindhouse blu Ray set is fantastic...I kinda wish they had done this but now I understand why they couldn't, I think the average viewer would be confused by the constant switching between italian and English...but I really don't mind it and I took matters into my own hands Smiley

Didn't the German Blu-Ray do this?

http://www.amazon.de/Gehetzte-Sierra-Bonus-Disc-Blu-ray-Limited/dp/B009229EQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427206686&sr=8-1&keywords=the+big+gundown

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 24, 2015, 09:07:29 AM »

I just competed my full resolution version that combines the two cuts, retaining as much english as possible, and subtitles for the italian dialog where necessary...not an easy task as nearly every scene in the italian cut has extra shots, lines of dialog etc. I know a guy named "franco cleef" did this back a while ago with dvd, but now I can watch the uncut film in hd with Lee van cleefs voice! The audio edits are pretty smooth considering the two tracks are quite different (including different music placement etc - on music I defered to the Italian where possible.  I will probably upload a large mkv file of it up at myspleen (a torrent site for fan edits). The grindhouse blu Ray set is fantastic...I kinda wish they had done this but now I understand why they couldn't, I think the average viewer would be confused by the constant switching between italian and English...but I really don't mind it and I took matters into my own hands Smiley

besides for the BRD vs. DVD things, can you explain how your cut differs from Franco Cleef's? I have FC's DVD, and to the best of my recollection, his version also uses LVC's voice for the English, and in scenes only available in Italian, it uses the Italian voice and English subtitles, right? How does your version differ from his?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »

besides for the BRD vs. DVD things, can you explain how your cut differs from Franco Cleef's? I have FC's DVD, and to the best of my recollection, his version also uses LVC's voice for the English, and in scenes only available in Italian, it uses the Italian voice and English subtitles, right? How does your version differ from his?

My version is in HD, and I think my audio cuts will be smoother.

Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »

I'm not sure, it's possible they did. From what I've read and seen via screencaps I think the grindhouse disc has better picture & audio quality though. The colors are slightly better (in my opinion), it doesn't have any dirt or scratches and the german picture is slightly cropped.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:12:40 AM by Jordan Krug » Logged
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2015, 02:49:28 PM »

Where did you find time to do this?? Shocked

Wink

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM