Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 04:24:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 68915 times)
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2004, 08:58:03 AM »

Has to be better than Western Channel's version (digital though, but not widescreen) which was on last night at 95 minutes listed.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2004, 12:42:55 PM »

My Italian DVD is 110

It's class.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2004, 10:01:56 PM »

As I said earlier, the time on the box for the Japanese disc reads 115. I played the disc again last night to see what  the counter on my player would read out at as, and it was indeed 115 minutes at the end (plus 10 or 20 seconds). This includes the time for both  the MGM and the UA logos that play at the film's beginning.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2004, 10:10:04 AM »

well, ive seen it at long last and im pretty impressed at first viewing. i dont think its quite there with Leone right now but i might change my mind when ive seen it again sometime. Much better than the much-lauded Django and probably as good as The Great Silence, though its not as distinctive, as i thought Sollima was copying Leone a bit.

LVC and Milian were great, Walter Barnes was pretty good too. Loved the bit with the fit widow, great fun!

Overall, 7/10, Franco did a great job.  Grin

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2004, 06:34:46 PM »

just elaborating and following on...not enough for you, huh  Grin

Morricone's music, wonderful and accompanies the action very well, wonder what it would be like without it

Milian, fantastic performance, if TBG was made b4 GBU then i reckon Wallachs was an extension of Milian's performance but i doubt if Eli saw the film. There is similarity parallel between LVC and TM and Clint and Eli's relationship.

I was very impressed with the sets, alot better than the shitty sets Corbucci has, a lot more of a Mexican feel like in The Wild Bunch.

Lot more depth in the story as well, lot more feasible.

On the basis of this id like to see Face to Face and Run Man Run, for Milian's performances and Sollima's direction alone.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2004, 10:36:45 PM »

Face to Face is more serious and less Leone, but pretty good with Volonte, and Run Man Run is an extention of TBG basically more humorous adventures of Cuchillo.  They are worth getting a hold of.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The 4th Gunfighter
Road Apple

When I'm paid, I always follow my job through

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »

Saw this movie recently (got it from FrancoCleef and is really the only version you should ever see) and I love it! Quickly became my favorite spaghetti after the Eastwood trilogy & Once...West, and well deserving of one of the top non-Leone westerns (IMO #1). Even more significant as it came out just prior to GBU.

This movie has a lot of things going for it: excellent Cleef performance (think of Col. Mortimer perhaps 10 years earlier, before he became a bounty hunter), as well as an excellent Tomas Milian performance - one of the few where his (over)acting tendencies match his character perfectly. The scenery is great, especially since the story moves locations from US to Mexico, as well as a story that forces the characters (Cleef & Milian) to adapt/change to events instead of being the same character throughout the movie. It has an Excellent Morricone soundtrack, one of his best ever, just a notch below GBU & West. Plus it has its' share of excellent action moments: in the beginning w/ Cleef lining up the bullets and the famous "Hunt In The Cane Field" and subsequent showdowns.

Definitely a must see for Spaghetti fans, and made me track down Sollima's other two Spaghetti's (Run Man Run & Face To Face - I think it's referred to as the "Chase trlogy). I will say this though: I think the Hunt portion, under a different cinemetographer/director, could have been done even better.

It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. You take away all he's got an' all he's ever gonna have
Yeah. Well, I guess they had it comin'
We all have it coming, Kid.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2004, 06:31:26 PM »

Right, ive seen The Big Gundown for a second time now, time for a more thorough analysis:

Good points:

Van Cleef - thoroughly convincing
Milian - plays the part to a T
Morricone - not one of my favourite scores of his but still perfect for the mood
Cinematography - very impressive, more the interiors than the exteriors

Bad points:

Barnes - i just thought his accent was annoying
the ranch bit - it just gets boring after a while even though the widow is quite fit
Tries to parody Leone too much

Overall, i think Great Silence is better - its more distinctive than this, though its an extremely solid and entertaining film. 7/10 i guess my opinion hasnt changed, lol

Fortean
Road Apple

... it'll be the last mistake you ever make.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2005, 08:10:57 PM »

I just got the Spaghetti Western Double Shot from deepdiscountdvd.com  a few days ago (includes Run, Man, Run and Manaja) - and the Franco Cleef Big Gundown just came in the mail today.

I see a BG/RMR double feature in the near future!

Seriously though, BG has been a favorite of mine since I caught it on a free trial on the Western Channel. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my feelings for it.

Ehi amico... c' Sabata, hai chiuso!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2005, 03:46:26 PM »

All I can say on this issue is that I got hold of a copy of Franco's version, and it is truly a spectacular thing (both the movie, and the work that he has done in compiling this "full" version.

He has carried out similar reconstruction works on other SW's, and will certainly be thinking about buying some of these.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2005, 09:40:05 PM »

He has carried out similar reconstruction works on other SW's, and will certainly be thinking about buying some of these.

Yea he's got a restoration of one of the Sartana's (they are thought of highly in some circles) with Klaus Kinsky that I'm definitely going to pick up, and some others soon.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2005, 12:58:17 PM »

Didn't know where exactly to post this, but after looking at the conversation in this thread here might be the best place for it.

German distributor Koch Media will release a 4 dvd Sergio Sollima Western box set at the end of the month.

It'll feature La Resa dei Conti, Faccia a Faccia, and Corri, Uomo, Corri. The movies will be in director's cut versions, supervised by Sergio Sollima and slightly longer than the currently available italian dvds.

Dolby Digital 2.0 German/Italian (w/ German or English subtitles)
2,35:1 - R2 Pal

Extras include:
- "Sergio Sollima - Face to Face" (56 minute exclusive documentary)
- "Von Angesicht zu Angesicht" [De Faccia a Faccia] (8mm-version/35 minutes)
- German, American and Italian movie trailers
- Gallery w/ promotional artwork, comics, set pictures
- location comparison (then/today)
- alternative opening sequences or opening credits [I'm not 100% sure which is meant]
- 32 page booklet
- book: Ulrich Bruckner: "Leichen pflastern ihren Weg", a 250 page spaghetti western encyclopedia w/ about 350 colour & b/w pictures

I think I'll have to start putting those pennies aside... Wink

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 01:09:11 PM by Sentenza » Logged

We kill him now, papa?!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2005, 10:03:00 PM »

sounds great give us a full report when you can.

The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2005, 12:49:04 PM »

Like to know the running time of the new Faccia a Faccia, how it shapes up to the Japanese SPO one.

Sentenza
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2005, 03:43:49 PM »

Like to know the running time of the new Faccia a Faccia, how it shapes up to the Japanese SPO one.

According to the press release the running times are:

La Resa dei Conti 110 min.
Faccia a Faccia 111 min.
Corri, Uomo, Corri 119 min.

How long is the Japanese version from SPO?

edit
I've found conflicting information regarding the running times. An individual (from a German dvd board) who supposedly worked partly on the releases claims the running times are the following:

La Resa dei Conti 105 min. 59 sec.
Faccia a Faccia 106 min. 50 sec.
Corri, Uomo, Corri 120 min. 40 sec.

Bottom line is: I don't know. Undecided

« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 05:10:11 PM by Sentenza » Logged

We kill him now, papa?!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM