Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 07:47:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 67081 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2004, 04:47:36 PM »

Well, you got me there I haven't seen Companeros yet.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2004, 05:33:23 AM »

I had known the Big Gundown soundtrack way before seeing the movie. There are copies of the UA Records LP everywhere in secondhand record shops in the UK.
But when you see and hear the chrissi sung morricone open title with the technoscope visuals, it makes the hairs stand on end, work of art.
It rivals the dollars movies intros.

Franco's Big Gundown is proberly best things ive seen on DVD this year. Beats alot of official releases to top 5. I thought bootlegs like this were just pipedreams. its suspended disbelief still after 5 months.  

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 05:40:15 AM by The Smoker » Logged

mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2004, 11:44:06 PM »

My favorite sw score !! And a top notch movie.

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2004, 05:00:19 AM »

Its a shame it has no official release.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2004, 10:06:10 AM »

Got it from Franco today...I'll get back to you once I've seen it. Nice artwork.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2004, 12:38:49 PM »

I've seen it now. Finally. It was terrific. In the end you got not one, but two showdowns, both up there among the best ever put on film. The final gunbattle theme is actually a reworking of a piece called Für Elise. I played it when I took piano lessons as a kid.

One thing I'm wondering about though: Twenty minutes into the film, Van Cleef is with a blond prostitute, and it sounds like she was dubbed by the same woman who dubbed Claudia Cardinale in Once Upon a Time In The West. I've forgotten her name now, but can anyone tell me if this is correct, or is my mind playing tricks with me again?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 12:39:40 PM by Nobody » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2004, 04:32:25 PM »

One thing I'm wondering about though: Twenty minutes into the film, Van Cleef is with a blond prostitute, and it sounds like she was dubbed by the same woman who dubbed Claudia Cardinale in Once Upon a Time In The West. I've forgotten her name now, but can anyone tell me if this is correct, or is my mind playing tricks with me again?

You may be right, don't know her name though.

Nobody
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2004, 04:01:47 AM »

You may be right, don't know her name though.

Her name is Joyce Gordon. I found the old thread were we discussed this: http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=960

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2004, 01:29:45 AM »

Given the amount of adulation Gundown has been receiving on this thread, I was more than a little interested when I saw that there was a new Japanese Lee Van Cleef boxed set that included it (the other 2 titles in the box are Death Rides a Horse and The Grand Duel (Gundown and DRAH are in English with J subtitles, TGD is in Italian with J-subtitles (all three are widescreen 16x9))).

The set was about $100, but I decided to take the plunge(I live in Japan and bought it locally). Gundown is only the 90 minute version and it does look very good. I must say that I was disappointed with the film (maybe that extra quarter of an hour really makes a difference). I grant that it has a good score and that some of the location photography is impressive, but Tomas Milian really annoys me, and I think the plot is weak. It is better than a lot of other non-Leone SWs, though.

After Gundown, I watched DRAH, also for the first time, and, oddly, enjoyed it more. The revenge plot works really well, and I enjoyed the relationship between the young avenger and the Lee Van Cleef character. The ending is also quite strong. For my money, it is superior to Gundown.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2004, 05:25:32 AM »

The cut version removes a lot of Lee Van Cleef and Walter Barnes at the wedding and also the three bullets gunfight at the very beginning and the next whole sherrif's office sequence, It also trims bits and pieces of scenes. Especially after the part where Cuchillo steals VC's horse after the barber sequence, LVC rides into town with what looks like Cuchillo over a saddle when he finds out its not him a section at the end of his conversation with the sheriff is cut, its probably LVC's most regret-filled and human line as he whistfully stares into the screen.

I too when I first saw this 30 years ago did not like the fact that Cuchillo could put things over on <a href="van%20cleef" onmouseover="window.status='Van Cleef'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">Van Cleef</a>, but after all the crap that has been made since I really am enjoying these other Euro westerns.

DRAH suffers from a lousy transfer on the US DVD, if its as good as you say it would be nice to see that Japanese DVD.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 09:49:29 PM by cigar joe » Logged

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2004, 09:13:53 AM »

yeah, ive ordered big gundown too from Franco, its a 107-min version so should be pretty complete

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2004, 06:34:46 PM »

DRAH suffers from a lousy transfer on the US DVD, if its as good as you say it would be nice to see that Japanese DVD.

I thought the transfer was quite good. It isn't up to the quality of Gundown, though.

BTW, DRAH carries an MGM logo at the beginning, and Gundown wears Columbia's brand. Is it perhaps conceivable that we'll someday get standard US studio releases of these films on DVD?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2004, 09:48:59 PM »

The Japanese transfer is supposed to be better than the crappy current US R1 DVD that looks like it went straight from video to DVD.

The made in Canada DVD of DRAH is 112 minutes can you tell us the running time of the Japanese DVD Dave?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2004, 11:55:09 PM »

The made in Canada DVD of DRAH is 112 minutes can you tell us the running time of the Japanese DVD Dave?

The box says 115.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2004, 05:23:03 AM »

So its either got three more minutes or the transfer runs slower.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM