Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 01:37:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 68973 times)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2006, 12:38:54 AM »

"unlike the ending of The Mercenary which I can't stand. I just turn it off after the three-way shootout"

Turning off the movie after the three way shoot out is a little extreme. The Eduardo Fajardo character needed dealing with. And without the final few minutes you wouldn't get Nero's great last line.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2006, 04:26:43 AM »

"Its ok to dream but dream with your eyes open!" Wink

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2006, 04:33:59 AM »

You have to remember that the actual title of this film is "The Settling of Accounts", which really in no way promises a "big gundown". That was sort of false advertizing by the publicity department.

But does settle the two accounts between Corbet & Senator Brockston and his bodyguard Von Schulenberg, and Cuchillo and his accuser Chet Miller. 

This story was actually originally a Sicilian tale adopted to a western by Sollima with some changes, and Leone always thought that it was ruined by the changes.

Originally the Corbet character kills the innocent Cuchillo character before finding out that the Brockston  character was protecting his interests by shielding his son in law by accusing Cuchillo. It would have been a much darker SW. I think another change was the ages with the Cuchillo Character being the older one & vice versa for Corbet.

Cisco/Kermit posted this a while ago but here is how they break down the non Leone SW's on the Spaghetti Westerns in America Board, me personally I would take out #'s 7, 8, and Price of Power,  I haven't seen 9, 14, 15, 18, or The Hellbenders :

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=4690.0

1. The Big Gundown 183

2. The Great Silence 162

3. Django 139

4. Death Rides a Horse 127

5. Face to face 99

6. A Bullet for the General 88

7. Sabata 82

8. Navajo joe 71

9. Django Kill.. 70

10. Companeros 67

11. Day of Anger 63

12  Keoma/The Mercenary 62

14. Return of Ringo 61

15. If You Meet Sartana....Pray for Your Death 55

16. Run, Man, Run 44

17. Cemetary Without Crosses 41

18. Any Gun Can Play 40

19= The Price of Power/The Hellbenders 37

I guess there maybe a few oddities because of the relative lack of availabilty of sw's when this (now)  old poll was conducted.Maybe its about time the SWWB repeated the exercise? Roll Eyes

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2006, 04:56:02 AM »

Maybe its about time the SWWB repeated the exercise?

Good Idea

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2006, 07:41:25 AM »

Turning off the movie after the three way shoot out is a little extreme. The Eduardo Fajardo character needed dealing with.

Yeah, but he should've been finished off before the duel.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2006, 09:35:24 AM »

"unlike the ending of The Mercenary which I can't stand. I just turn it off after the three-way shootout"

Turning off the movie after the three way shoot out is a little extreme. The Eduardo Fajardo character needed dealing with. And without the final few minutes you wouldn't get Nero's great last line.

I watch the ending occasionally. Next time i watch the Mercenary, I'll watch the end. But last time I didn't watch after the Three-Way-Shootout. Mainly because I have a bum-copy. There are parts that work terribly, it skips, freezes often, and there are green marks across the screen, like pixels. And it does that for the WHOLE last fifteen minutes of the film, go figure, at least it's during the part I don't like. Now that i have my new dvd player, I hope it works perfectly on that.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »

Yeah, but he should've been finished off before the duel.

Perhaps. The way I saw it was finish him off three minutes afterwards. There was no need for another 15 minutes.

I would say Companeros is a much smoother production but It lacks something Mercenary has.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2007, 04:25:39 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from  his SW Virgins Guide:-

The Big Gundown

This film has been "Rated the best non-Leone western by visitors to the web forum at www.sartana.homestead.com" I personally don't agree with that, but i still felt The Big Gundown was a solid Spaghetti Western.
    After a brief introduction in which we are introduced to bountry hunter Jonathan Corbett (Lee Van Cleef), we find him at a wedding party which is intertrupted when three men inform the host and guests that a 11 year old girl has been raped and murdered by a bandit called Cuchillo (Thomas Milian). Corbett jumps at the chance to hunt the man down and so begins a chase across the south west of the US into Mexico with both sides meeting strange and sometimes violent characters.
     The plot of the film is interesting, and is obviously the blue print that the sequel Run Man Run would follow. The film contains many interesting characters that the two main protagonists encounter such as Mexican Chief of police, Cuchillo's wife and an Austrian count who wants to have a duel with Corbett due to his reputations.
     The film contains alot less comic situations then Sollima's sequel Run Man Run and I think that with the inclusion of Van Cleef's character this works in favour of this film. This also coupled with the rather adult situation that sent Corbett on his quest to find Cuchillo, which I must admit caught me a little off guard, and it adds to the whole mood of the film. However I must admit, Cuchillo, whilst a quite comedic fellow does act through the begining of the movie as if he did it and this contrast with the comedic side of the film doesn't sit that well, especially in a scene with the Mormans and a little girl.
      The acting in the film is of a high standard. Van Cleef is excellent as usual as the gruff gunfighter who takes all hell to find the lowely Cuchillo. Cleef is able to play his characters with a human side and you genuinely feel, and along with the direction see, how out of place he is in the Mexican Town, very reminiscant of Hackman in The French Connection II.
     Milian is effective as Cuchillo. He manages to seem to be an untrustworthy toe rag, but also amusing. However I would admit that the character isn't as developed as it is in Run Man Run and therefore some of his less tangible qualities can leave you will little sympathy at times. Milian's almost animalistic moves add to the rat like qualities of Cuchillo.
     The film is directed with gusto by Sollima. We have fast horse rides, great gun battles, a humerous bull fight, spiderous femme fatales and large panaramic vistas. The frames often have a dry, dirty look on them, especially in the Mexico regions and it really emphasises the non-glamerous aspects of Corbett's job.
     The Morriconne score is great also. I have to admit it took me a while to like it and I prefer the orchestral version of the main theme, not the one that plays over the main credits but it is effective, whilst not being one of his most memorable scores, and certainly not as good as the one in Run Man Run. The best bits of the score are first, when he uses some what I belive is Beethoven as part of the Austrian count's theme which I thought was nice dark humorous touch, an aspect that this film has a lot of, and when the sound becomes almost like Jungle animal noises during a scene where Cuchillo runs in some tall grass whilst being hunted like an animal. This is a similar effect to the dingo call in the begining of TGTBTU.
    This DVD has been created by major Spaghetti Fan, Franco Cleef. He has used a transfer from an italian print for the best a/v as well as because it contains all the scenes that have been removed from the US Theatrical release. The 2.2:35 cinematogrpahy translates well on this disc with little print damage and high sharpness levels. The only negative point being that the picture is perhaps a little washed out. The disc also includes the longest English soundtrack version avaliable. Cleef has sourced English elements from TV Broadcast's, VHS's and other sources for the best elements and also to find English dialogue for the scenes that had been removed on the US cut. For the scenes that never were dubbed into English, Franco has kept the Italian soundtrack and included subtitles. For a person who has never seen the US theatrical cut, I was able to see how much had been cut out and how little sense the US version must make! Some of the music has been taken from a digital source to dramatically increase the quality. All the information about the reconstruction can be found in the extensive production notes Franco has written for this disc. The film also has the original Italian soundtrack. Both English and Italian tracks are in PCM Mono.
   The disc also contains the original US Theatrical trailer along with the reconstruction notes.
    This is a damn fine western, mature themes mixed with gritty humour and violence. A definate recomendation for Spaghetti fans both new and old.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2007, 04:01:27 PM »

Arizona Colts review:-

BIG GUNDOWN, THE- 1966-Sergio Sollima’s classic political western about an honorable sheriff recruited to track down a Mexican peasant believed to have raped a young girl. The Big Gundown promised in the films title becomes the ‘big letdown’ although it’s still a highly recommended affair as Van Cleef chases his quarry Cuchillo played by Tomas Milian throughout the picture learning later that all is not as it seems. LVC plays probably his most complex western character of all his Italian entries and Tomas Milian is great to watch as always. He would reprise the Cuchillo role in the sequel RUN MAN, RUN also directed by Sollima. TBG was severely truncated for its US release some 20 minutes being removed. A fan made DVD has the cut footage reinstated.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »

I saw the Franco Cleef version, wow, what a treat!!! I hope some day MGM will do justice to this film and release the full uncut version. Van Cleef is superb and Milian plays one of his best spaghetti western roles ever. And what can I say about Morricone's score that has not already been said?  Afro

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2008, 01:26:17 PM »

I hope some day MGM will do justice to this film and release the full uncut version.
Well hopefully they'll bring in the LVC impersonator from the GBU SE DVD because all those tiny inserted snippets of Italian overdubbing(with subtitles) ruin the flow of Franco's disc,as brilliant a job as he's done with the reconstruction. Smiley

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2008, 05:02:01 PM »

Agree with you there Banjo, I thought he did a great job with GBU.  Afro

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:40 AM »

Gundown is only the 90 minute version and it does look very good. I must say that I was disappointed with the film (maybe that extra quarter of an hour really makes a difference).
I've now seen the Franco Cleef restoration (thanks, CJ!), and yes, the 14 missing minutes make a big difference. The restoration isn't as sharp as the J-transfer, but the longer cut is essential. DRAH is still my fave non-Leone spaghetti, but this is next in line.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2009, 02:28:49 PM »

I've now seen the Franco Cleef restoration (thanks, CJ!), and yes, the 14 missing minutes make a big difference. The restoration isn't as sharp as the J-transfer, but the longer cut is essential. DRAH is still my fave non-Leone spaghetti, but this is next in line.

CInema Retro mag has a great interview in the current issue with Franco Cleef about the restoration.
So far its only available in the UK but the site says it will soon be shipping to the USA!

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:47 PM »

I'm aware of the article, although I haven't seen it yet. My understanding is that single issues are unavailable--you have to take out a subscription to the magazine before you can get that particular issue. I don't mind doing that, only I can't afford to this side of payday. But I fully intend to run that article down as soon as is feasible . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM