Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 11:09:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 67125 times)
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

i HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT THE CURRENT ISSUE JUST SHIPPED!

There is supposed to be a teaser preview on their site but it isn't up yet.
Ill give the link when they have it.
Sorry you cant afford it, I know about lack of funds Sad but its only three issues so  36 dollars American.

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

I saw the Franco Cleef version, wow, what a treat!!! I hope some day MGM will do justice to this film and release the full uncut version. Van Cleef is superb and Milian plays one of his best spaghetti western roles ever. And what can I say about Morricone's score that has not already been said?  Afro

Unforunately, Columbia owns the rights and doesn't give a damn!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

i HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT THE CURRENT ISSUE JUST SHIPPED!

There is supposed to be a teaser preview on their site but it isn't up yet.
Ill give the link when they have it.
Sorry you cant afford it, I know about lack of funds Sad but its only three issues so  36 dollars American.
Yeah, Christmas did me in, but I'll be healthy again come payday. Come to think of it, that's next week! I guess I'll be getting that subscription pretty soon after all . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »

Unforunately, Columbia owns the rights and doesn't give a damn!
Not only that, but what are they gonna do with the bits that were never dubbed into English? Ain't no way they're ever gonna pay for new dubbing a la the GBU restoration. Which means that even if they DID release the film, they would only ever give us the shortened version.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2009, 07:05:13 PM »

Not only that, but what are they gonna do with the bits that were never dubbed into English? Ain't no way they're ever gonna pay for new dubbing a la the GBU restoration. Which means that even if they DID release the film, they would only ever give us the shortened version.

I guess it all depends on how much money they (Columbia) figure they can make if they fully restore the movie to its original length. But whatever they decide, I can (and will) live with the Franco Cleef version with the Italian subbed parts, even if some of the English subs do not reflect what they are saying in Italian. For example, just after Corbett kills Brockston, his Mexican host says (in the subs): "There's been enough blood shed, Mr. Corbett. His adventure is over"; but I believe he is actually saying something like "You've made me lose a good business deal, Mr Corbett...but I don't regret it as much as you may think". Perhaps our friend Titoli or anyone whose mother tongue is Italian could provide the exact translation.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2009, 02:09:21 AM »

Why don't you try to get the german DVD?

You can watch the film in italian with english subs. But I'm afraid the subs are the same as mentioned above.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2009, 08:31:20 AM »

Why don't you try to get the german DVD?

You can watch the film in italian with english subs. But I'm afraid the subs are the same as mentioned above.

No need. I also have the Spanish version, which I just checked and the translation of the sequence I mentioned above is virtually the same I provided. I also undertand Italian fairly well.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2009, 08:50:18 AM »

This article is sounding better and better. Here's Cinema Retro's announcement:

Cinema Retro issue #13 is now shipping to all subscribers. Among the other great features in the latest issue is entertainment journalist Bruce R. Marshall's fascinating story behind Lee Van Cleef's 1960s cult western The Big Gundown. At this point in his career, Van Cleef was relishing the fact that Sergio Leone's two Dollar westerns had rescued him from financial catastrophe when he could not longer find suitable work in Hollywood. Unlike Clint Eastwood, however, Van Cleef was happy to continue on in the Spaghetti Western genre, making films of varyiing degrees of quality, but always maintaining his position as one of Europe's top movie stars. His 1968 western The Big Gundown teamed him with another popular star of the genre, Tomas Milian under the direction of Sergio Sollima. The film stood out as being a cut above the rest of the pack, but what most fans don't realize is that the movie they've seen is probably not the original, far superior version. In his article for Cinema Retro, Bruce R. Marshall takes a comprehensive and fascinating look at a grass roots effort to restore this movie to its original glory. Marshall interviews a fan who goes under the name of Franco Cleef whose interest in the film has lead him to approach Columbia/Sony about investing in an official restoration of crucial scenes that were cut. However, the film's cachet is not commercial enough to interest Hollywood. Thus, Cleef has taken it upon himself to painstakingly piece together the most complete English -language version of the film possible, using disparate sources to find the relevant footage. (An official restored version of the film has been released in Germany by Kochmedia-dvd.com, but it does not have an English soundtrack.) In Marshall's interview with Cleef, every nuance and aspect of the film is discussed, including specific missing scenes which greatly alter the motivations of the characters. The article also features exclusive comments from the film's director Sergio Sollima as well as a sidebar by Retro's German correspondent Mike Siegel on the history of the German restoration. The article also presents an abundance of extremely rare stills, movie posters and soundtracks from the film.

Glad to hear our old friend Mike Siegel gets a look in as well.  Afro

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »

The great Austrian-German label Koch - Media hired me to make four documentaries on Sergio Sollima.
So after editing hours of interview footage for two months, Sollima feels like a grandpa to me. I really
like the man & his movies. He's smart and very funny too. I wish to 60 min. doc on his three westerns
would be available in english... insightful and often hilarious.

As for RETRO:
you can buy single issues at eBay from the shop: spyguise entertainment.
But a subscription is more than worthwhile. It would be a bit expensive, if it was
a monthly magazine. But every other few months $12,00.- should be possible.
I think. That's one pizza.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2009, 01:21:44 PM »

Mike,

the CR article has a lobby card that depicts Cuchillo retrieving his knife after  he kills Shep.
is this the extra footage in the German dvd?
I have never seen that shot in any version.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »

My copy of the CR issue with the article on The Big Gundown restoration arrived today. Something in the sidebar caught my eye: "With a 'Pal length' of 105 minutes and 58 seconds (which equals 110 minutes theatrical running time) Koch - Media's version of The Big Gundown is the longest in the world: it contains some footage playing at the aftermath of the showdown which wasn't even included on the Italian DVD master."

C'mon, Mike, you can do better than that. What exactly aren't we seeing on the Franco Cleef version?

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 27, 2009, 01:59:09 PM »

My copy of the CR issue with the article on The Big Gundown restoration arrived today. Something in the sidebar caught my eye: "With a 'Pal length' of 105 minutes and 58 seconds (which equals 110 minutes theatrical running time) Koch - Media's version of The Big Gundown is the longest in the world: it contains some footage playing at the aftermath of the showdown which wasn't even included on the Italian DVD master."

C'mon, Mike, you can do better than that. What exactly aren't we seeing on the Franco Cleef version?

Mike isn't too good at math. LOL! Smiley

there is app. 2 seconds more in the German version>

btw did you like the article Dave?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »

I liked the layout and all the cool pictures. Content-wise, I didn't learn much that I didn't already know. The one bit of exciting news in it you've just squashed.

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »

.... Content-wise, I didn't learn much that I didn't already know.....

really! I was amazed to learn about all the different English language versions around the world.
I suspect I am not the only one
 Smiley

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2009, 03:47:12 PM »

La resa dei conti is a timeless classic. Strangely wrought characters, good performances, solid direction, interesting and throughout most of the movie well balanced story, and great music. I know there are flaws, as said by many here, I agree, but it's still a great and above all entertaining SW. Even the political part of the plot was carried on correctly without pathetic and exaggeration. What I didn't understand is how the last part turned to be the weakest, cause that's when the great music kicks in... I only didn't like the part when Corbett steals the horse from the family in the desert, it just didn't fit in the character's description.

8/10

P.S. Sheriff Jellycole was great.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:51:23 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM