Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:17:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 67194 times)
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
EN
« Reply #180 on: December 01, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »

Why are folks here praising Sony for their "restoration"?
A true restoration would have all the restored scenes dubbed in ENGLISH like was done with GBU.
The guy who dubbed LVC could do the same here.

Stick with Franco Cleef's version which also has a far superior, stereo music mix

screw SONY Angry
BRUCE MARSHALL

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:56:27 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »

Why are folks here praising Sony for their "restoration"?
A true restoration would have all the restored scenes dubbed in ENGLISH like was done with GBU.
The guy who dubbed LVC could do the same here.

Stick with Franco Cleef's version which also has a far superior, stereo music mix

screw SONY Angry
BRUCE MARSHALL

Are you saying that the Sony restored version still contains a few scenes in Italian in the English audio track?  Shocked Huh

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »

Are you saying that the Sony restored version still contains a few scenes in Italian in the English audio track?  Shocked Huh

FrancoCleef's version still contains a few scenes in Italian in the English audio track.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2012, 04:17:11 PM »

I dont like the replacement voice of LVC in GBU.  A bit too gravely for my liking.

**************** ZZ TOPīs 1st Gig **************
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

I dont like the replacement voice of LVC in GBU.  A bit too gravely for my liking.

but he's better than both Wallach and Eastwood 40 years later.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2012, 06:48:16 PM »

but he's better than both Wallach and Eastwood 40 years later.

Seconded.

Saturday nights with Groggy
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »

FrancoCleef's version still contains a few scenes in Italian in the English audio track.

Sure it does, CG, but unlike Sony I don't think that Franco Cleef has a professional studio with actors to make the English dubbing of the Italian audio scenes. I aso doubt he would have the ability of reproducing the background sounds.

Franco Cleef did a remarcable job, presumably with a portion of the equipment available to studios like Sony. I would not expect him to dub the Italian scenes into English, so I can live with a few subtitled scenes with Italian audio. However, I would expect Sony to dub into English those scenes if they are going to "restore" the movie to what would have been an uncut English version.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »

Sure it does, CG, but unlike Sony I don't think that Franco Cleef has a professional studio with actors to make the English dubbing of the Italian audio scenes. I aso doubt he would have the ability of reproducing the background sounds.

Franco Cleef did a remarcable job, presumably with a portion of the equipment available to studios like Sony. I would not expect him to dub the Italian scenes into English, so I can live with a few subtitled scenes with Italian audio. However, I would expect Sony to dub into English those scenes if they are going to "restore" the movie to what would have been an uncut English version.

GBU is a hugely popular, famous film. MGM knew they were going to make their money back and more with the SE.

TBG is by no means a hugely popular famous film. Sony is not going to make much money from it at all.

O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:08 AM »

GBU is a hugely popular, famous film. MGM knew they were going to make their money back and more with the SE.

TBG is by no means a hugely popular famous film. Sony is not going to make much money from it at all.

I don't think it would take a gazillion $$$ to dub a few scenes into English. Besides, Sony also made a "restored" version of Major Dundee, and I am not sure they made a lot of money from it either.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 06, 2012, 02:19:20 AM »

But surely more than with TBG.
Peckinpah is cult, Sollima is a pretty unknown director for the English speaking market. In fact only the fans of the Italian genre cinema know him well.

Anyway I prefer to have the restored scenes with subs then with a new dub. For GBU also.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 06, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »

I don't think it would take a gazillion $$$ to dub a few scenes into English. Besides, Sony also made a "restored" version of Major Dundee, and I am not sure they made a lot of money from it either.

It would be nice to have it both ways.

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2012, 01:12:34 PM »

For the whole story on the butchery of TBG  and the efforts of Franco Cleef et. al to restore it , please check out my article in CINEMA RETRO.
You can click on the link below for a preview.

thanks!
Bruce Marshall

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:14:53 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »

Besides, Sony also made a "restored" version of Major Dundee, and I am not sure they made a lot of money from it either.

FYI - Twilight time are releasing Major Dundee on BD in February (presumably with their usual limit of 3000 copies at $30 each). Should have been released already but was delayed for "further restoration". Can't wait...

But surely more than with TBG.
Peckinpah is cult, Sollima is a pretty unknown director for the English speaking market. In fact only the fans of the Italian genre cinema know him well.

Exactly.

Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »

I loved the scene in the desert where Milian's character convinces LVC he has a snake bite, I could just imagine something like that playing out between Tuco and Blondie.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 15, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »

I had the honor of watching the 4K print back in December and was blown away by the presentation!! The only major difference between the Franco Cleef version, that I noticed at least, was the opening scene with the 3 outlaws. There is more interaction between Corbett and the men and the young guy begs for his life and then tries to shoot Corbett in the back. I cannot wait for the blu-ray version!!
I believe there were a few other scenes restored, but nothing that overtly stood out to me.

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM