Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 08:27:10 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 69076 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2013, 04:58:17 AM »

I had the honor of watching the 4K print back in December and was blown away by the presentation!! The only major difference between the Franco Cleef version, that I noticed at least, was the opening scene with the 3 outlaws. There is more interaction between Corbett and the men and the young guy begs for his life and then tries to shoot Corbett in the back. I cannot wait for the blu-ray version!!
I believe there were a few other scenes restored, but nothing that overtly stood out to me.

In which one? Franco Cleef's or the 4K.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Franks Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:12 AM »

The restored version that was touring the country has the extra scenes intact.

Frank: "So you're the one who makes appointments"
Harmonica: "And you're the one who doesn't keep em"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »

There is more interaction between Corbett and the men and the young guy begs for his life and then tries to shoot Corbett in the back.
That was in the DCP I saw last summer.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/323974-spaghetti-western-classic-the-big-gundown-in-october-from-grindhouse-releasing/

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 02, 2013, 03:43:59 AM »

is this gonna be the full Franco Cleef version (spliced with Italian subtitles)?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:35 AM »

is this gonna be the full Franco Cleef version (spliced with Italian subtitles)?
yea good question.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2013, 04:29:08 AM »

That's what they released in Germany so it seems highly likely it will be

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Big-Gundown-Blu-ray/54101/#Review

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:28 PM »

is this identical to the one you gave me? Not talking about quality, I mean, it has all the same scenes?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »

Well, I don't know, but I'm guessing it is.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2013, 08:18:39 PM »

is this BRD Swiss or German? I see this page you just linked to says it's being released from Switzerland's Explosive Media, though that link you provided a few months ago to HTF says that Germany's Explosive Media is releasing it. Are these actually separate releases or are they the same thing?

Also, I know that the BRD is region-free, but has there been any chatter about whether this is gonna (finally!) get an official US release?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2013, 01:48:15 AM »

Only one release. It is a German Blu Ray.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2013, 12:16:29 AM »

I just watched the movie again the Franco Cleef restoration with English dialogue in most parts, and other scenes with English subtitles courtesy of DJ.

It's nice to have the full version (or as full as you can get), though the video quality is pretty bad.
The English dubbing on this movie is so bad, it's laughable. (The new brd may fix the image quality, but I don't imagine it can do anything about the terrible dubbing).

Some of the episodes, especially in the beginning, are simply spag-outrageous, like the isolated farm with the woman and all her boy toys, and the scene with the Mormons, and the scene with the priests. Just the sort of insane outrageousness you might expect from spags, and I was rolling eyes throughout. Van Cleef was great as always, and I liked Thomas Milian (as bad as his dubbing job is), though the crazy spag episodes are annoying.

However, the movie starts to get better from when Corbett first visits the bordello. And then, at the end, the entire "hunt" scene is simply incredible - from the moment Cucillio is first scene running through the cane fields, until the end of the movie (not sure exactly how long that is, maybe 20 minutes or so?) The camerawork is great, the music, everything. What an amazing, amazing scene. So, even though I did not enjoy the first 2/3 of it, ending on such a terrific note left me with good feelings about the movie.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2013, 12:53:19 AM »

I've been reading up a bit on this Geramn blu-ray release of The Big Gundown/Der Gehetzte der Sierra Madre , and I have three questions, I'd appreciate if anyone can answer any of 'em:

I) Is it absolutely certain that this BRD/DVD package is region-free?
I know the previous links DJ provided say it is region-free, bu I was just reading the DVD Savant's page http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4033resa.html and he says it is Region 2. What's the deal with that? I need to know for certain before I purchase it, cuz my blu ray player only plays Region A/1 discs.

II) Can anyone tell me how I can purchase that blu-ray disc in America? I can't use the German Amazon site. (Only one person is selling it on the American Amazon site, so he's trying to charge a ridiculous $60 US for it). Is there another site that I can order it from for a reasonable market value?

III) Finally (I don't remember if I have asked this already), but is there any word at all on whether there will be a US release of this BRD anytime in the future? I really don't mind waiting, and I'm only gonna consider buying this German blu ray if there's no word about it's potential release in America.

Thanks!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 26, 2013, 05:23:08 PM »

Why can't you use amazon.de? It works for me.

I don't know for a fact that The Big Gundown blu will get a U.S. release, but I'm guessing it will. Several other spags have come out here already. A My Name is Nobody blu is due in either October or November, I don't recall which.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM