Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:32:25 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 67170 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 26, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »

Why can't you use amazon.de? It works for me.

because I don't speak German

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2013, 02:17:35 AM »

If you want to order it from Amazon.de I can help you.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »

If you want to order it from Amazon.de I can help you.

Thanks, I appreciate that. DJ says he thinks it'll come out in USA, so I'll wait a little. Eventually, if I decide to order it from there, I'll take you up on it  Afro

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2013, 01:30:19 PM »

There's an English page at amazon.de, anyway.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 05, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »

Dec. 10: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Gundown-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B00FMDL4UK/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1381023319&sr=1-1&keywords=the+big+gundown+grindhouse

This is apparently the press release:

This is going to be a 4 disc special [i.e. EXPENSIVE] edition:

◾Grindhouse Releasing is proud to present the first-ever U.S. home video release of the greatest Spaghetti Western you've never seen - Sergio Sollima's widescreen epic THE BIG GUNDOWN. The legendary Lee Van Cleef stars as a relentless bounty hunter on the trail of Cuchillo (Euro-film superstar Tomas Milian), a savage Mexican outlaw accused of the rape and murder of a twelve-year-old girl. Written by ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST screenwriter Sergio Donati, THE BIG GUNDOWN features an incredible soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. This Special Edition contains 15 additional minutes of gunslinging action never before seen in America.

ALL REGION

Special Features:

Four Disc Deluxe Limited Edition Combo Pack - Two Blu-rays, One DVD And One Bonus CD
Individually Numbered And Limited To 3000 Copies

◾Spectacular New 2K Digital Restoration Of The Original Uncensored English Language Version, Newly Expanded With Three Additional Scenes

◾LA RESA DEI CONTI - The Complete, 110 Minute Director's Cut Presented In Italian With Optional English Subtitles And Special Musical Subtitles

◾Bonus CD - THE BIG GUNDOWN - Original Soundtrack By Ennio Morricone

◾Compelling In-Depth Interviews With Director Sergio Sollima, Star Tomas Milian And Screenwriter Sergio Donati (ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST)

◾Audio Commentary By Western Film Experts C. Courtney Joyner And Henry C. Parke

◾Liner Notes By C. Courtney Joyner And Euro-Music Expert Gergely Hubai

◾Extensive Still Galleries, Trailers And TV Spots

◾AND OTHER SURPRISES!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 05, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »

so that German distributor is now releasing it in America?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 06, 2013, 02:28:48 PM »

Huh? It's a different edition. As far as I can make out, the German edition has one Blu-ray disc, and 2 DVD discs (and no CD). It only has one cut of the film, the content of the Blu-ray, which is duplicated on one of the DVDs. The U.S. edition has 2 Blu-rays, one for the English language dub, and one for the Italian (if I'm reading the specs correctly). The DVD is for the extras only. I'm not sure why the two cuts have to be on separate discs. Maybe someone can help us out here.

Hey, on the German release, do they have two different German dubs, an older one and a new one?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »

So this is an American company releasing this edition?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 06, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »

Considering they call themselves "Grindhouse," I'm guessing, Yeah.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

I was just wondering cuz after such a long wait, the German one comes out and then this one so quickly one after the other, I wondered if it was the same company releasing both.

Have you bought the German yet? How's the picture quality compared to the version you gave me?

IMO, the movie is a little overrated; I find parts of it ridiculous (I guess some of the way-over-the-top nonsense you see in some spags), but it starts getting better toward the end, and the final hunt is absolutely incredibly amazingly awesome; the last 20 minutes were so good, it left me with really good feelings about a movie that I didn't enjoy all that much through some early ludicrous episodes (eg. the farm with the male sex slaves; the Mormon camp; the church with the priest who used to be a gunslinger).

Anyway, if the blu ray has the fullest-available footage (in English language and parts in English subtitles, I presume) and has good quality image, I'll definitely buy it, especially if it is not available for rental on Netflix.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2013, 06:24:17 PM »

I didn't buy the German, I've been waiting for the US release. I'm pretty sure the image is going to look gorgeous--the DCP of it I saw at Film Forum was. We may get reviews of it before it's released to know for sure, but we may have to wait until after the release date. The sets are limited to 3,000, so Grindhouse may not be sending out screeners to reviewers.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »

Hey, on the German release, do they have two different German dubs, an older one and a new one?

Yes, the old theatrical one for the 86 min version, which is more or less useless for the uncut version as the dub changes a lot to fill the gaps.

And one made by a TV station about 10 years ago which lacks atmosphere and is of mediocre quality for the chosen voices. But is faithful by following the Italian version.
Only van Cleefs explanation why he doesn't want to become a senator is again the cheap cliche version. Here is indeed only the Italian version to be preferred.

I usually watch it in Italian with English subs.

uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

I just received my copy from Grindhouse!

After having  carefully watched  the film I can report the following about this release:

It is not a completely restored English language version.

As I predicted this is the 'commonwealth version' - the version that played in Australia & Canada.
It restores two full scenes:
- Cuchillo love scene
- Monastery scene.
So, there are appox. 5 minutes of new never before scene English language footage.

The cane field chase  is shortened - it is NOT the full-length version! Sad

The Shep/Cuchillo duel is also shortened

The opening scene with Van Cleef and the three outlaws is the poorly edited, misleading, Columbia version.

I think all fans were hoping for a GBU style "restoration" - i.e. dubbing the cut footage with voice actors - but this has not happened.

The new 95 minute version looks great, and is certainly a big improvement . However, I think the most satisfying version is still the fan made Franco Cleef dvd.

enjoy!
bruce  marshall

ps I have not watched the German language version (w/English subs) but  I am sure it is the same 110 cut as the import dvd.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 02:19:21 PM by uncknown » Logged

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »

The cane field chase appears to be the full-length version!

It would be great if that's the case. I remember being seriously upset by the Columbia version removing the great shot of Cuchillo crouching down in the cane field sequence as the camera then pulls up and over him to reveal the vastness of the cane fields and his pursuers.

ps I have not watched the German language version (w/English subs) but  I am sure it is the same 110 cut as the import dvd.

I believe that to have an English audio option with English subs where only Italian audio is available. However I'm not sure if it includes all the available English audio (as this Grindhouse one claims) or not

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 07, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »

so does this new BRD have all the footage on the Franco Cleef version?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM