Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 07:00:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: La resa dei conti aka The Big Gundown (1966)  (Read 67161 times)
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:35 AM »

sollima surely owed something to leone because leone began spaghetti westerns, but as big gundown and GBU were shot simultaneously they were probably thinking independently.

Leone actually slated big gundown saying the story (originally set in Sicily i think and written by a certain Franco Solinas) was great but that Sollima's 'stupid film' ruined it.

Have yet 2 see it so i cant make my own judgement i personally think Great Silence has its flaws but is generally worthwile cos its so unique and its far better than most Spaghetti crap.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2004, 12:36:01 PM »

What a coincidence - I got home at midnight from the airport and was too wired to go right to sleep and decided to watch a little tv first and Voila!, Big Gundown was on the Western channel.  Saw like the first half hour of it, and it was surprisingly good.  Not quite up to the Master's standards, but a lot better than any of the other spag's I've seen.   Dubbing is pretty bad, and I'm not to crazy about the Cuchillo character - but I like the horny woman ranchowner, loved it where she bangs him and then has him horsewhipped afterwards  Grin

Nice score by Morricone, a lot of that flamenco guitar similar to the Tuco/Brother Ramirez scenes.  Netflix doesn't have this, will have to keep my eye peeled for next time it's on cable.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »

The western channels version is better than nothing but widescreen does as much for this movie as Leones!

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2004, 02:43:50 PM »

Spring with the $20 for the uncut widescreen version, you will not be sorry, it actually has a different look (locations) from Leone some very beautiful bg's in the Cuchillo chase sequence at the end. The DVD is immaculate in this respect.

LVC as Corbett almost reprises his Mortimer character, he is a bit more compassionate and less cold blooded and  for most of the film he dresses in black, hat & frock coat,  wears his black boots texican style, smokes a pipe and has some good lines, not as many as in FFDM or GBU but a few.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 08:28:43 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2004, 11:55:19 AM »

Leone actually slated big gundown saying the story (originally set in Sicily i think and written by a certain Franco Solinas) was great but that Sollima's 'stupid film' ruined it.

The original story (Franco Solinas' ) reversed the characters ages and the hunter ended up killing his quarry before he found out the truth. Perhaps this is what Leone ment.

Even so, if you want something very close to a Leone film this is the Spaghetti to get.  

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2004, 01:42:34 PM »

Came through the post on Friday. Waiting for me after work.

Watched it Saturday night

Well well, what can i say which hasn't already been said?

Bloody fantastic show!
Really can't believe as a finished uncut print, how lush it looks and sounds. Anamorphic Widescreen too boot.
Saw alot more of dialogue sequences which really pull out what a great story teller Solima was. And more the films manifesto so to speak.
Brother Smith And Western? Pure class.  
Previous english prints ive seen are more cut to the chase, action driven.
And makes my old VHS copy look quite redundent.

Its Spaghetti Heaven is what it is. Ive already thanked Franco a thousand times. But again thanks for the blood sweat and tears.  Wink

P.S. Also holds my all time favourite Rotoscope[size=0]TM[/size] opening sequence, with the Morricone title & the Christy sung theme, makes your hair stand on end..

« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 02:21:03 PM by The Smoker » Logged

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2004, 03:36:27 PM »

I'm soon to be recieving Gundown on VHS in its original language - as far as I know the only way it can be bought - from this site. They also do it on DVD, as well as a good selection of other Spaghettis and other Italian films, at fair prices too - mostly under 10 Euros (around 7, $11). Of course, its all Italian language stuff, so its no good if you don't speak the language, although I suppose its possible the DVDs have English subtitles.

When it arrives I'll let everyone know how it looks, how cut it seems to be etc. I'm also getting from the same site the Italian version of DYS, apparently the only totally uncut version (with the final flashback).

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2004, 05:03:33 AM »

Enjoy!
Let us know redyred what you think of it.

If you are looking for another "Leone Western", this so far, is the closest to his vision that I've found.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »

guys, im looking to buy Franco Cleef's version of Big Gundown as its had rave reviews on here.

Tried thru links here and on spag western web board to get hold of him but no joy as links dont work.

Anyone know his e-mail address?  Smiley

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Ramon
Gunslinger

What are we going to do with this one Frank?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 03:15:16 PM »

Franco did a great job, you should be able to email him on kingriek@shaw.ca

in these parts a man's life can depend on a mere scrap of information.

Ramon

www.fistfuloflocations.com
www.youtube.com/profile?user=swlocations
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 03:07:37 AM »

cheers ramon, ill give it a whirl, so to speak  Grin

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 03:51:05 AM »

For some reason, I have not noticed this thread until now. Had to send that guy an e-mail. I've wanted to see this film for so long...

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 04:58:23 PM »

I will have a subtitled version to mail out to people hopefully in the near future. I've got all the subtitles written, I just need to do the technical side of things, but its in the pipeline.

The film's excellent by the way. Having spent a pretty intense week translating it all, I've got to know it pretty well. Not as well directed as a Leone, but pisses all over must other SWs. The final gundown is the only one I've seen that is the equal of a Leone finale. And of course, Lee Van Cleef and Tomas Millian in one film is pretty sweet (and by sweet I mean totally awesome). Overall I'd say its probably the equal of FAFDM.

It's class.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2004, 04:33:01 AM »

And don't forget the Morricone score, lol.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2004, 07:35:42 AM »

Yep. Perhaps his best non-Leone SW score. Well, the final gunbattle theme is, although I think the main theme plays second fiddle to the one from Companeros.

It's class.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM