Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 12:05:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Chase (1946)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Chase (1946)  (Read 1288 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:22:43 AM »

you just coined a new word.
In fact, I've heard it used. I don't think I could have come up with that myself.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:57 PM »

The Chase (1946) Film: 5/10; Entertainment Value: 8/10; Restoration (2012) and Transfer: 10/10. Watching this again on the new Kino BD I suddenly realized: this is the Mulholland Dr. of the 1940s. The disc comes with two radio broadcasts, one from 1944, the other from 1946 of "The Black Path of Fear," adaptations of Cornell Woolrich's putative basis for the film. Interestingly, the radio dramas are made up entirely of the Havana sequence that appears in the film. I guess all the Miami stuff at the beginning was an addition made by the filmmakers, but I'd like to hear from someone who has read the original story.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »

Just watched the BRD.

Wow, what a piece of shit this movie is! Great cast, enjoyable at first, but this is maybe the worst script in the the history of cinema.

DJ, the restoration is definitely not a 10/10. It's fabulous compared to the shitty condition the movie was in till now, but 10/10? No friggin' way.

In response to titoli's question in the first post in this thread about whether Michele Morgan was dubbed: I am certain this is her real voice. I have seen her in Port of Shadows (in French) a number of times, and also in The Fallen Idol (in English) once, and her voice here sounds just like that. Unless the same voice actress dubbed her in The Fallen Idol and The Chase! This is definitely Morgan; she spoke English, with a French accent, of course.

Wow, what a shitty script this is  Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:39:36 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 04:42:28 PM »

this is maybe the worst script in the the history of cinema.
Uh, I'm guessing you've never seen Figures in a Landscape.

DJ, the restoration is definitely not a 10/10. It's fabulous compared to the shitty condition the movie till now, but 10/10? No friggin' way
Yes friggin' way. The rating is not based on whether or not they've removed all the damage. The rating is based on the distance crossed from the old presentations to the new. That distance has to measured in light years.

Unless the same voice actress dubbed her in The Fallen Idol and The Chase! This is definitely Morgan; she spoke English, with a French accent, of course.
I agree that that is probably Morgan's actual voice.
Wow, what a shitty script this is 
Almost every time Lorre speaks I crack up. That's not the effect a "shitty script" produces. What you mean is that the plot is shit. True. Thankfully, there is so much more to a film than its plot. And that's why I feel so happy I now own this fabulous Blu-ray.

Have you checked out the radio versions yet?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 07:42:06 PM »

I jave not checked out the radio versions yet.

Yes, Lorre is great. Especially when he says, "Nuthin!"  Grin

The rest of the cast ia great too, including Cummings, perfect for this role, the honest, bewildered guy way in over his head.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM