Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 11:31:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  800 balas aka 800 Bullets (2002)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 800 balas aka 800 Bullets (2002)  (Read 8497 times)
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 10:38:50 AM »

thy sure seemd ta be marketing it as a comedy, if i remeberd th DVD cover right

thy coulda got all those points across just as easy if it was a satire(an not as boring

i got th message wit Dr Strangelove- ABombs=bad thing- an dint nod off watching it

Perhaps you are right and it is a comedy and I am just looking too deep into it. Somewhere I read that the director never intended to send any message, but to me it has one.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 07:46:35 PM »

Álex de la Iglesia has yet to disappoint me, he's probably my favorite European director today. The movie. The movie doesn't come as great as the beginning and the first half would suggest, but it is a very pleasant watching experience full of melancholic remnants from the past. Noble idea, flawed execution. I think the clipping of about 40 minutes would shed a new light to the whole picture.

7/10

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 07:48:12 PM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

To some, this movie is a comedy; but to me, it is actually a drama. The way I interpret the movie is:

Sancho Gracia represents the past of the Spaghetti Western and the movie industry in Almeria, and even the people from the Tabernas area in general. He and many others contributed a lot to the film industry success, and it was thanks to people like him Leone, Clint Eastwood, etc, became rich and famous. However, once they made the bucks and left, he remains forgotten in Tabernas and struggles to survive, although very proud of his past.

The kid represents the future. He admires his grandfather and would like to be like him in many ways but not in others. He is willing to give it a try if he was just allowed.

The kid's mother represents "progress and development". She does not care for the future of the area, only of "what is in it for me now". She is also resentful about the past, blaming her father in law for her husband's death.

Clint Eastwood also represents the many men and women who became rich and famous thanks to the support given by Almeria to the SW film industry in the 60s-70s, but later never came back and invested their money elsewhere. The fact is, Clint made several Westerns after he finished his career with Leone, but none of them was made in Almeria. And by the time he could come back, the genre who made him famous has died. I read on the IMDB that Clint was offered to play himself in the film, but he declined. The official reason was that he was involved in the production of Mystic River, but I wonder if the reals reason was that he felt somewhat guilty of the message the movie was sending. Let us remember that Clint's appearance in the movie is a very short scene (just a cameo), and Alex de la Iglesia even offered to move to LA to shoot Eastwood's part.I find it hard to believe that Clint could have been so busy that he could not do a few minutes cameo.

I like this Bandolero, especially the part in bold.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM