Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 11:59:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Why Are Harmonica and Cheyenne Suddenly So Passive About Jill's Disappearance?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Are Harmonica and Cheyenne Suddenly So Passive About Jill's Disappearance?  (Read 2187 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »

But my biggest takeaway from OUATITW is that women are more resilient and adaptable than men, who would rather retreat or die than change, with the contrasting presence of a character like Jill making it even more bleakly obvious than it is in "The Wild Bunch," another film that depresses me in middle age.
Both men and women have their parts to play, and if you care to, you can view culture as having both male and female elements. The male element is necessary for protection generally; the world is a dangerous place, and only those capable and willing to kill to survive will endure. But once space in the wilderness has been cleared, the female, or domesticating agency of culture takes over. Harmonica must fade away after his mission is accomplished, and the West--the barbarous killing floor--must give way to civilization. Then the Aquarian figure that is the female comes to the fore: just as a reliable source of water is necessary for an agricultural society to develop, the order that domestic life imposes causes culture to transform. Culture must track between these two poles as situation demands: surviving and nurturing. The one waxes while the other wanes.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:24:14 AM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »

Yes, very well put...I'm seeing OUATITW very much in that way. Looking at the characters as post-modern/archetypal—which all-importantly does not contradict human nature—explains that their motivations may be non-traditional from a movie-making standpoint but in fact are really ultra-traditional.

Working a little bit to understand the "confusing" elements of OUATITW has resulted in a bigger payoff than I expected and elevates the film to a greatness I couldn't have perceived otherwise. I really appreciate your help, Dave, and that of others here as well.

Starting new topics in the wrong thread since 2016
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM