Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 09:52:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  UNSEEN FOOTAGE from a rare and mysterious Italian IB TECH 35MM print
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: UNSEEN FOOTAGE from a rare and mysterious Italian IB TECH 35MM print  (Read 7672 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 10:57:41 AM »

Or that they all shoot each other (Blondie gets off a shot at both Tuco and AE, but AE gets off a shot at Blondie) and the gold stays buried in the grave, to be found by Leone fans making the pilgrimage to shooting locations in Spain.
Grin Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2016, 11:03:35 AM »

It's going to take a LONG time to digitally clean up the image so the plan is to release a "grindhouse" version with little-to-no digital cleanup of the scanned image. The goal of this project is to faithfully reproduce the presentation of the film during its first theatrical release. (For someone like me or DJ, this will also be like attending the summer 2015 screening at The NewBev in LA.)

This is going to be special.
Are you going to then screen the print, or transfer it to disc, or both? How are we going to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor?

If nothing else, this will serve as a reference for other home video versions we may have. It may be possible to manipulate the colors on commercial discs available. We just need to know what the target colors are.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated! Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for lying in the middle of the road.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »

A HD video will be released online for download. No details yet on how exactly it will be made available.

Are you going to run into any copyright issues doing that?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »

I'm not the one releasing it.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:13:16 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

I was an honest farmer. Now I'm Lil Brutto!
Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »

Another visual treat has been posted on the blog at the link below. The "skeleton shot"!

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.ca/2016/06/unseen-footage-from-good-bad-and-ugly_7.html

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:17:29 PM by Lil Brutto » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2016, 06:23:04 PM »

At that link, it says, "The 5.1 mix was started from scratch, using completely new sound effects."

Is that referring to the entire movie or only this desert scene? I thought the 5.1 only redid the gunshots??

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 05:46:32 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2016, 08:43:10 PM »

The entire movie, and there are various effects replaced, like the glass tuco crashes through in the opening scene. I guess my wording is a bit confusing, I'll amend it or even remove the line. Thanks

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2016, 03:02:36 PM »

Its great to see the skeleton scene fragment.
So if there was any more of this it is would have been on the beginning of reel 4 which is badly damaged and incomplete?

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2016, 06:04:17 PM »

The entire movie, and there are various effects replaced, like the glass tuco crashes through in the opening scene. I guess my wording is a bit confusing, I'll amend it or even remove the line. Thanks

So what was written here years ago about only the gunshots being changed is false?

Is it possible to hate John Kirk even more?HuhHuh?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »

Its great to see the skeleton scene fragment.
So if there was any more of this it is would have been on the beginning of reel 4 which is badly damaged and incomplete?

Or the end of reel 3...unfortunately until we can find any more evidence it's difficult to say. Cutting from the end of r3 directly to the beginning of r4 doesn't make much sense, especially since the music is repeated from earlier in the desert scene (in the boot scene)...it feels like the rest of the skeleton scene had to be in between at some point.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »

Another visual treat has been posted on the blog at the link below. The "skeleton shot"!

http://theeditroomfloor.blogspot.ca/2016/06/unseen-footage-from-good-bad-and-ugly_7.html

Very cool to see those bones there! However, I understand why this was cut as it plays better without - Blondie's tumble and then slide into the bones is pretty fake looking. Nonetheless, this is really exciting stuff!

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 10:01:07 AM »

Very cool to see those bones there! However, I understand why this was cut as it plays better without - Blondie's tumble and then slide into the bones is pretty fake looking. Nonetheless, this is really exciting stuff!

Yes. Eastwood also looks left down the ridge either checking where to fall or for his cue. If it carries on as scripted, which it may not have, there would have been a repeat of Tuco shooting something from his hand (bone/water bottle)

emmo26
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2016, 08:00:40 AM »

The 'bones' cut probably informs the audience that tuco has already done this type of thing before

**************** ZZ TOP´s 1st Gig **************
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2016, 09:18:08 AM »

Actually I think I have lost track now what is what.

Is the IB print of Jordan Krug identical to the Cineteca Nazionale copy?

And this "3.363 frames, equal to 64,67 meters or 2’22” substituted by tail due to the cuts by Leone in 1966" is due to the Grotto missing from these prints? Or was it the shortened torture scene plus the Sorry Tuco past? The latter probably.

And Leone cut the original negative, but replaced the cuts with black tail, so that the soundtrack remains synchron? Why not cutting both if the cuts were destined to be permanent?

Lil Brutto
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »

Is the IB print of Jordan Krug identical to the Cineteca Nazionale copy?

It's clearly an early print but probably not identical to the CN copy since there is no mention of the skeleton shot, which after examination they would have obviously identified as unique footage missing from the ON. The CN copy also includes, "6 meters of the two signs “end of first half” and “second half”. These are missing from the Italian 35mm but it's possible they were cut out at some point.

And this "3.363 frames, equal to 64,67 meters or 2’22” substituted by tail due to the cuts by Leone in 1966" is due to the Grotto missing from these prints? Or was it the shortened torture scene plus the Sorry Tuco past? The latter probably.

The grotto scene was not included in the CN copy. The 3363 frames were cut from the torture scene and by removing "Sorry Tuco".

And Leone cut the original negative, but replaced the cuts with black tail, so that the soundtrack remains synchron? Why not cutting both if the cuts were destined to be permanent?

No clue.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:11:43 AM by Lil Brutto » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM