Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 01:19:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Proud of France
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proud of France  (Read 15343 times)
Lewis Hawk
Bandido

"Creuse..."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2004, 12:00:04 PM »

An italian has could made the best westerns ever seen, so french guys are able to do so!

Half Soldier
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2004, 02:24:57 PM »

The French gave us films that recognised man/woman as a social animal while many others see the term as a contradiction.  The french were also great movers and shakers of postmodernism, both as a philosophy and in art which expresses freedom and multiplicity whilst elsewhere (in the English speaking world) we had Macarthyism and paranoia and identitys which were seen as 'given'.  I don't have a great knowledge of French film and some I find a little bizzare, but I believe that we are seeing now the influence of those films give us the extra dimension that many (but not all) hollywood/british films lacked no matter how good the narrative.

I'll sleep better knowing my good friend is by my side
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »

According to me, and I'm French, so I think I know what I'm telling, French cinema, and more particulary in the 60's/70's, is a intellectual cinema, in the way of the movies were so thinked (pensé); I want to say that the directors (Godart...) wanted to make movies to make movies, without real feelings. For an example, when I saw a Godart' movie (Pierrot le Fou), I thought he has wanted to make this movie not for making a good movie, but to say "I make a movie, I'm a director". And it is that I don't like in the French cinema called La Nouvelle Vague. But now, I find we have new directors like Besson (Leon, The 5th element...)or Jeunet (Alien IV...), who are giving a new idea of our cinema in the world.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 02:52:32 PM by john baldwin » Logged

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2004, 03:23:25 PM »

JEAN GABIN ROCKS!  Cool

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
Frank
Chicken Thief

Now that you've told him my name....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2004, 04:21:44 PM »

I would always scratch my head when I would hear of the french respect for Jerry Lewis (always heard 2nd hand, can't verify that it's true).  When I later found out that OUTW is often considered in France the greatest film of all time -- it caused me to flirt with a re-assement of Jerry Lewis.  <grin>

Few French films have really penetrated America, but it is clear that they have had great film makers.  I think they really excel in the appreciation of the art form.  They coined the phrase and elevated the crime films of the 40s and 50s into Film Noir.

Of course they are without peer in the appreciation and development of fine food.

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2004, 06:21:58 PM »

"La Salaire de la peur" (The Wages of Fear) is one of the coolest action movies ever.  A fistful of nitroglycerine  Grin

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2004, 07:12:43 PM »

Yea, "Wages of Fear" is a great film.

Other French greats are  Camus' "Black Orpeus", Clouzot's "Diabolique", Berri's "Jean de Florette" & "Manon of the Spring", Jeunet & Caro's "Delicatessen" ,  also "City of the Lost Children", "Amelie ", Molinaro's "La Cage Aux Folles I & II', There are plenty of other good french films.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2004, 03:41:45 AM »

General Sibley, you have to say "LE salaire de la peur"... Wink. Cigar Joe, the men that you talk are "great" directors, but you can believe me, such are not so great as you think... Grin Grin

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2004, 04:58:46 AM »

Well john, over the years they (directors) have stood out as refreshing contrasts from the made for the masses Hollywood dribble.  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Belkin
Gunslinger

Can my character have a poncho, Sergio? Please!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2004, 05:53:26 AM »

Well john, over the years they (directors) have stood out as refreshing contrasts from the made for the masses Hollywood dribble.  Grin
With you 100%, cigar joe!  Wink

You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it on the streets...
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2004, 07:42:46 AM »

General Sibley, you have to say "LE salaire de la peur"... Wink.

Pardon  Embarrassed

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2004, 09:39:51 AM »

Pardon  Embarrassed
It's not grave, I make mistakes too in English so... Undecided

Biondo
Chicken Thief

Giů la testa coglione!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2005, 11:27:06 AM »

I always thought Besson was a great french director...   and  maybe he represents the future for the french cinema... but now he seems too much interested to the films'' production.    I like to think he took inspiration from Leone for making his masterpiece (as sentenced by imdb)"The professional/Leon"

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 05:22:07 AM »

Yeah, he is a great director, and it''s true now he just produces, and his productions are not so good!!!  Embarrassed . And as you say, Leon is a masterpiece, no doubt..., but you can''t to say "his" masterpiece, because there is "Le grand bleu". Well, after, it''s just my opinion; but I can''t decide what movie of those I prefer, because they are in two different style.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2005, 04:18:07 PM »

Here is my placing for Besson ''s movies, starting from my favorite:

1 Leon
2 Nikita
3 Le grand bleu (Big Blue?)
4 The fifth element
5 Subway

The US remake of Nikita with Bridget Fonda is really bad! Despite usually US remakes of French movies  are better (for example True Lies VS La totale) but in this particular case,it''s the US film wich looks corny, not the French one.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM