Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 05:00:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Altering the Map
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Altering the Map  (Read 1383 times)
Alias
Road Apple

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »

Where does the time go? First post in maybe a decade. Great to see that this stuff is still being discussed. Long may it continue...

Drawn back here after unearthing an old DVD recorded from the BBC years ago and introducing the film to my teenage son. He'd seen and enjoyed all the previous Leones, plus Five Man Army and Guns For San Sebastian - not a bad grounding in great film music. Took so long in getting round to screening this for him as I'd long considered it a 'lesser Leone', slightly disappointing, with Morricone's eccentric score occasionally venturing a little too deep into Bacharach territory. Yet certain scenes - John/Juan's first meeting, the Mesa Verde arrival, the poignant Ireland flashbacks - had made a vivid impression, even watching with my father on a 20-inch screen in black-and-white pan-and-scan in the late '70s.

This recent viewing, though, was a revelation (even if the final flashback was conspicuous by its absence on my old DVD.) Yes, there are flaws and anachronisms aplenty - and I wish they'd kept the title Once Upon a Time ... The Revolution - surely the most appropriate and evocative? But there's so much great stuff here - visual, thematic, musical - and emotionally moving, if you disregard the false comparison suggested by the Fistful title. I've been listening to the startlingly eloquent soundtrack on my way to and from work this week – can’t get enough of it (the music, not the work) and finally recognise what Morricone achieved here. As others have said, the music does the work of reams of dialogue.

As for the much-discussed Mallory/Nolan business – I'd always understood it that just before Mallory shoots him, Nolan nods assent, as though passing judgment on himself (just as David Warner’s Jack The Ripper nods assent to Malcolm McDowell’s HG Wells in Time After Time before being consigned to oblivion).  And the following fragment of an interview with David Warbeck does seem to suggest that this was how he was directed to act in the scene - and presumably, then, that the nod of assent was Leone’s intention:

http://wconnolly.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/david-warbeck-acting-without-words-on.html

Anyhow, better turn in. Work again tomorrow. But at least, thanks to the magic of Morricone, the commute will pass quickly (to paraphrase Colonel Mortimer).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 12:35:46 AM by Alias » Logged
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »

Thanks for the link! Short but interesting interview! Afro Afro
Personally I always put DYS on a slightly lower level than the dollar trilogy and OUTITW; perhaps also because of Rod Steiger's excessively histrionic acting. Yet there are a few scenes that are undeniably remarkable and truly great stuff (well, with SL couldn't be otherwise..): the pub scene is certainly one of them, but I'm thinking also about Romolo Valli in the truck, nodding , heavy rain, firing squad, Gunther Reza approaching the bridge and the explosion of the bridge itself, just to name a few.
Morricone's Sean-Sean soundtrack did the rest. Incidentally, Carla Leone always claimed that it was her idea to insert the words Sean-Sean in the score..

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:30 AM »

Yes, great post this movie does grow on you.  Afro  Afro  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:12:47 PM »

Holy Leone! This just became a new entry in the SL Encyclopedia.  Afro

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »

... I wish they'd kept the title Once Upon a Time ... The Revolution - surely the most appropriate and evocative?

So we all know it works way better in Italian as "C'era una volta la rivoluzione", but what is the best way to say it in English while keeping with the "Once Upon a Time" theme?

"Once Upon a Time... the Revolution"
"Once Upon a Time, the Revolution"
"Once Upon a Time: the Revolution"
"Once Upon a Time in the Revolution"
"Once Upon a Time during the Revolution"
"Once Upon a Time of Revolution"
"Once Upon a Revolution"

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »

Once upon a time the revelation

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 02:16:57 PM »

Revolving Upon a Time Once

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »

Once upon a time the revelation

Revolving Upon a Time Once

You guys are useless  Tongue

I actually kinda like "Once Upon a Revolution" although the article has switched from "the" to "a"

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

You guys are useless  Tongue

Yeah, but also kinda amazing ...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM