Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 08:45:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Deteriorating Arch—A Moral Question
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Deteriorating Arch—A Moral Question  (Read 4468 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »

Get the 3-D printer operating! It's gonna take a heck of a lot of filament, though . . .

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:48 PM »

Get the 3-D printer operating! It's gonna take a heck of a lot of filament, though . . .

Well I just read they've made a whole house out of the stuff now...

Starting new topics in the wrong thread since 2016
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 12:11:37 AM »

The only lodging anywhere nearby is at Gouldings in Monument Valley.

Actually, there is a closer (and much better) motel just 10 minutes from there. I slept there on my last trip (when i took the pic).

Here's a possibly really dumb question: When you go out on this little road that leads to the arch, have you gone through a "national park" gate at some point, or a "now entering Navajo Nation" checkpoint? Are there rangers or docents or some kind of official Monument Valley caretakers driving around?

In other words, is it really just a place off the highway like any other little pile of rocks you might encounter anywhere else? Does it "feel" like you're in a park or on a reservation, or are you just on a road in the middle of nowhere?? I don't ask to see what you could "get away with," just to get a sense of what this area is like.

It's just on a dirt road out of nowhere. It is not inside of Monument Valley although it still belongs to someone, I guess.

Sandra Bullock debarked in water, did not hit the arch. Maybe she should. A good idea for part 2 though, even on a higher metaphorical level.

Grin

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:12:39 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »

Here are a couple of shots I found online. What's odd is that they're both at the Fort Bravo/Texas Hollywood park in Almeria but they appear to be in different locations, even though they're taken from opposite sides.

Ha !!! Even the replica arch has had some stones fall off it !!!  There's a little wooden ladder there, looks like someone has the life-long project of fixing that. 

Anyone KNOW if Leone himself was at this location for the shoot in 1968?  I might guess that this was too-important of a scene to allow a 2nd unit director to handle....my thinking would for Leone and Fonda to fly into Las Vegas or Phoenix and drive there, it's not to close to anything big.

Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »

It's just on a dirt road out of nowhere. It is not inside of Monument Valley although it still belongs to someone, I guess.

That's wild. It almost makes you a little afraid to bring attention to it. It's actually done pretty darn well over 50 years.

Anyone KNOW if Leone himself was at this location for the shoot in 1968?  I might guess that this was too-important of a scene to allow a 2nd unit director to handle....my thinking would for Leone and Fonda to fly into Las Vegas or Phoenix and drive there, it's not to close to anything big.

I'd be interested to know how it all went down too. I know the location was carefully scouted for the best background, but it seems like no one compromised at all to make it a slightly less inaccessible destination. All that equipment, material, and personnel had to be hauled out so far away from every convenience.

It's one of the things that makes this site so unique...its isolation has to be remarkably rare for a film location.

Starting new topics in the wrong thread since 2016
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2016, 05:57:01 AM »

It sure feels very special when you go there. The "untouched" quality is quite unmatched by the other films locations I have seen.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2016, 05:04:27 AM »

Ha !!! Even the replica arch has had some stones fall off it !!!  There's a little wooden ladder there, looks like someone has the life-long project of fixing that.  

Anyone KNOW if Leone himself was at this location for the shoot in 1968?  I might guess that this was too-important of a scene to allow a 2nd unit director to handle....my thinking would for Leone and Fonda to fly into Las Vegas or Phoenix and drive there, it's not to close to anything big.

Leone was definetely present during the shooting of the arch scene. There was a long and interesting interview on Youtube (now removed for copyright reasons) with Claudio Mancini who told a lot of anecdotes about his friendship with Leone and about the shooting of Leone's movies. He also told some stories about the arch scene (apart from Executive producer of OUITW, he was Harmonica's brother in the arch scene) and I remember in particular that he mentioned it took 3-4 days to film it. He also told the story that during the rehearsals, young Harmonica was getting very tired as he had to carry Mancini's weight on his shoulders for quite some time. So Leone decided to let him rest and to let Mancini stand on a ladder instead while filming some close ups. As it was late in the afternoon and shooting was finished, somebody decided as a joke to remove the ladder and let Mancini "hang" while the whole crew then drove back to the hotel. According to Mancini, he was left there alone and "hanging" for about an hour or so before somebody came back to help him. So that also tells us that the hotel was not too far away from the arch location. Wink

Denys
Bandido

Frank, you dirty son of a bitch

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »

Leone was there for sure..... I was asking myself that question for years until I found those:

image search

picture hosting

It would have been very surprising that Leone wouldn't be there since that flashback is the powerful sequence and final revelation at the end of the movie.

We went to the site in 2005 and 2008. We planned to go back there in two or three years. The atmosphere is so special and it's so quiet there.... just like a cemetary!!

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM