Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 27, 2022, 02:36:36 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Michael Cimino (1939 - 2016)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3 ... 6
: Michael Cimino (1939 - 2016)  ( 24658 )
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

« : July 02, 2016, 01:59:39 PM »

Too bad. He was younger than my dad.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #1 : July 02, 2016, 02:08:43 PM »

http://variety.com/2016/film/people-news/michael-cimino-dead-dies-deer-hunter-heavens-gate-1201808052/

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #2 : July 02, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »

His final published interview: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-cimino-full-uncensored-hollywood-778288

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #3 : July 02, 2016, 06:32:56 PM »

I think The Deer Hunter is a great movie.

Heaven's Gate, I think the first three hours - despite some problems - are vey good, but then the film goes nowhere in the last 40 minutes.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #4 : July 02, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »

I really do believe that he had an extraordinary visual talent and should have been able to leave a much bigger impression had circumstances been different. I hope that when he passed he did not feel any frustration for what could have been and just felt satisfaction for what was.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #5 : July 02, 2016, 11:32:24 PM »

I could have met him last year in Locarno. But his behavior was a bit strange, so I shied away. He enriched my 2nd favorite decade with THUNDERBOLT & DEER HUNTER, two very unique films. He has his place in history.

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #6 : July 03, 2016, 01:07:47 AM »

anyone agree with me that Heaven's Gate was not complete shit? It has terrific potential and than falls apart disappointingly, but as a movie itself - forgetting the whole backstory with Cimino's excesses and the studio and the spending, etc. - as a movie itself it has parts that are really good. It may be the prototypical FLOP of all=time, but forgetting all that, there's a lot of good here, and a little of shit too.

In a nutshell, IMO the first 3 hours are (despite some annoying shit) for the most part very good , and then the last 40 minutes disappoints.

« : July 03, 2016, 06:49:12 AM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

« #7 : July 03, 2016, 01:27:49 AM »

The Deer Hunter was his masterpiece, the film in which he went over his possibilities. The wedding sequence is the best thing he ever made. There he reached a naturalness and implicitness which in fact was beyond his range. After The Deer Hunter it all went down film for film. Heaven's Gate is an uneven film with many impressive scenes, but also with unfinished characters and some rhythmical problems, and Year of the Dragon, his last convincing film, has some similar problems.
I rewatched The Desperate Hours a few years ago, and this is one of those films in which a drinkish eye rolling is unavoidable, mainly because its stupidness is so obviously dispensable.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #8 : July 03, 2016, 03:28:17 AM »

anyone agree with me that Heaven's Gate was not complete shit? It has terrific potential and than falls apart disappointingly, but as a movie itself - forgetting the whole backsrory with Cimino's excesses and the studio and the spending, etc. - as a movie itself it has parts that are really good. It may be the prototypical FLOP of all=time, but forgetting all that, there's a lot og good here, and a little of shit too.

In a nutshell, IMO the first 3 hours are (despite some annoying shit) for the most part very good , and then the last 40 minutes disappoints.

I think Heaven's Gate is an absolute masterpiece.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #9 : July 04, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »

RIP, one of my favorite filmmakers. For quite a while I considered Deer Hunter to be the best film I'd ever seen. Heavens Gate is fantastic and I just put in the blu. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot among the best of buddy films. Year of the Dragon was great too.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #10 : July 04, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »

RIP, one of my favorite filmmakers. For quite a while I considered Deer Hunter to be the best film I'd ever seen. Heavens Gate is fantastic and I just put in the blu. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot among the best of buddy films. Year of the Dragon was great too.

You like the end of Heavens Gate?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #11 : July 04, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »

What's wrong with the ending?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #12 : July 05, 2016, 06:40:55 AM »

Heaven's Gate still hasn't "clicked" with me. I love many things in it, I also see a lot of flaws (some of which are inherent to this kind of autor epics) but more importantly I think I still haven't "got" what it's really about. It may never come.

Deer Hunter is somewhere between a solid 9 and a small 10/10, depending on my mood.

Year of the Dragon is very good.

Thunderbolt & Lightfoot is good, and even fantastic if you're into Clint's 70's stuff.

I haven't seen much of his other stuff but I also don't think I'm losing much.

Mainly, the editing of the battle sequences is utterly disappointing.

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

« #13 : July 05, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »

I remember being indifferent about it. I know he's on a boat in Rhode Island, but I forget what leads us there (I didn't finish the movie yesterday). Fantastic is an overstatement, but its a solid 8/10 for me, maybe 7.5 at lowest. It's flawed but very very good.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #14 : July 05, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »

I remember being indifferent about it. I know he's on a boat in Rhode Island, but I forget what leads us there (I didn't finish the movie yesterday). Fantastic is an overstatement, but its a solid 8/10 for me, maybe 7.5 at lowest. It's flawed but very very good.

I am not referring specifically to that scene. I did not like the last 40 mins. nearly as much as the first 3 hours.

: [1] 2 3 ... 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines