Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:09:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?  (Read 6702 times)
Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:07 PM »

I was looking to pick up one of the Frayling books to read more in depth about OUATITW. One I found online that really caught my eye was "OUATITW: Shot by Shot." The problem is, I can't figure out if it is an old book, an upcoming book, or what.

Some of the book-ordering sites say it's coming sometime in the future, but a bunch of sketchy PDF download sites say you can download a copy now for free if you sign up.

It really sounds like something I would love, but I can't find any credible information about it. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Starting new topics in the wrong thread since 2016
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »

I never heard of this book.

I am aware of 3 books Frayling wrote on Leone: Something to Do With Death, Spaghetti Westerns, and Once Upon a Time in Italy.

If you have not yet read any of Frayling's books, here's the deal IMO: "Something to Do With Death" is the biography, that's IMO the Bible of Leone. That's the most essential one. Has a chapter on each Leone film, with full discussion of production history and discussion of themes. (In addition to discussion of Leone's life, like any other biography.) If I have one book to grab before my house burns down, that's the one.

"Spaghetti Westerns" is a study of Spaghetti Western films, (written almost  two deacdes before the biography) most prominent are Leone's films but also others spags.That book has a special chapter on Once Upon a Time in the West - the only single movie to have its own chapter in that book (there is a separate chapter on the Dollars Trilogy). This book has more technical discussion, written in somewhat of a more nerdy-academic way, the "film study" style. This book is not the easiest read.

"Once Upon a Time in Italy" is the official book that came along a Leone exhibit they had in a California museum around a decade ago. It's a big coffee-table-sized book with full color photos mostly of movie posters of Leone's films in various languages; also of the cover of soundtrack albums. Also, there are interviews in there that Frayling did with many of the important players in Leone movies. Many if not all of these interviews were already incorporated into the discussions in "Something to Do With Death," but in "Once Upon a Time in Italy" the interviews are presented in full, Q&A form.

So, there you have it. IMO, for a serious Leone fan, you should eventually get all three books. If you want to start with one, or only have money to spend on one now, I'd say "STDWD" is most important.

As Roger Ebert used to say to someone who was about to watch a great movie for the first time, "I envy the experience you are about to have."

Enjoy!  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:09:06 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
chris
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 02:06:18 AM »

Once Upon a Time in the West: Shot by Shot is a new book by Sir Christopher Frayling which is due for release on May 23 2017.

According to Amazon:

It has 336 pages and is the definitive book on Sergio Leone's landmark Western, Once Upon A Time In The West (1968).

An in-depth analysis and shot by shot look at this iconic film by the world's leading authority on Sergio Leone, Sir Christopher Frayling, who coined the phrase "Spaghetti Western."

Set photographer Angelo Novi was given complete access on the film and was present every day. This book features his stunning in-depth photography of every aspect of the shoot, including never-before-seen outtakes, off-screen shots and deleted scenes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-Time-West-Shot/dp/1909526339

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 02:15:23 AM »

Once Upon a Time in the West: Shot by Shot is a new book by Sir Christopher Frayling which is due for release on May 23 2017.

According to Amazon:

It has 336 pages and is the definitive book on Sergio Leone's landmark Western, Once Upon A Time In The West (1968).

An in-depth analysis and shot by shot look at this iconic film by the world's leading authority on Sergio Leone, Sir Christopher Frayling, who coined the phrase "Spaghetti Western."

Set photographer Angelo Novi was given complete access on the film and was present every day. This book features his stunning in-depth photography of every aspect of the shoot, including never-before-seen outtakes, off-screen shots and deleted scenes.

whoo hooo!

This is amazing news!

So should I lock it in now on the UK Amazon for the price guarantee? or should I wait till it probably goes to the US Amazon, then I won't have to pay shipping? (or play the game one way or the other with currency exchange rates)

just want to know if I should do the pre-order now or if there is any advantage I'd have to waiting, whether with currency exchanges or any other reason?

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:27:49 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 02:30:30 AM »

whoo hooo!

This is amazing news!

So should I lock it in now on the UK Amazon for the price guarantee? or should I wait till it probably goes to the US Amazon, then I won't have to pay shipping? (or play the game one way or the other with currency exchange rates)

just want to know if I should do the pre-order now or if there is any advantage I'd have to waiting, whether with currency exchanges or any other reason?

Why not steal it from a library?

Novecento
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 04:30:05 AM »

According to Amazon:

Wow - sounds great.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »

Good news!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »

According to Amazon:

Thank you...I guess that's definitive, then. The U.S. versions of Amazon and similar sites do not have it up for pre-order, nor is is teased anywhere I could find. At some point I must have seen that entry but lost track of it, as I remember some conflicting release dates. The May '17 one was farther out than others.

As for the "Download the PDF now" sites, I knew they were sketchy, but they made me think it was an old book that maybe had an upcoming re-release.

Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:31:57 AM »

I never heard of this book.

I am aware of 3 books Frayling wrote on Leone: Something to Do With Death, Spaghetti Westerns, and Once Upon a Time in Italy.

If you have not yet read any of Frayling's books, here's the deal IMO: "Something to Do With Death" is the biography, that's IMO the Bible of Leone. That's the most essential one. Has a chapter on each Leone film, with full discussion of production history and discussion of themes. (In addition to discussion of Leone's life, like any other biography.) If I have one book to grab before my house burns down, that's the one.

"Spaghetti Westerns" is a study of Spaghetti Western films, (written almost  two deacdes before the biography) most prominent are Leone's films but also others spags.That book has a special chapter on Once Upon a Time in the West - the only single movie to have its own chapter in that book (there is a separate chapter on the Dollars Trilogy). This book has more technical discussion, written in somewhat of a more nerdy-academic way, the "film study" style. This book is not the easiest read.

"Once Upon a Time in Italy" is the official book that came along a Leone exhibit they had in a California museum around a decade ago. It's a big coffee-table-sized book with full color photos mostly of movie posters of Leone's films in various languages; also of the cover of soundtrack albums. Also, there are interviews in there that Frayling did with many of the important players in Leone movies. Many if not all of these interviews were already incorporated into the discussions in "Something to Do With Death," but in "Once Upon a Time in Italy" the interviews are presented in full, Q&A form.

So, there you have it. IMO, for a serious Leone fan, you should eventually get all three books. If you want to start with one, or only have money to spend on one now, I'd say "STDWD" is most important.

As Roger Ebert used to say to someone who was about to watch a great movie for the first time, "I envy the experience you are about to have."

Enjoy!  Smiley

Thank you so much for taking all that time and effort! I'd been hunting around for clues about which to get first, especially regarding detail about OUATITW, and you've done a great job for me.

I did pick up "Once Upon A Time In Italy" at the library, and it did seem like an extended version of a commemorative magazine, since it had so many short articles, so after what you've said its unusual presentation makes sense now.

After listening to his commentaries, which are the type I like best (enthusiastic, constant, and both descriptive and informative), and his very interesting on-screen contributions, I really look forward to reading Frayling's books. I would imagine he did an entire OUATITW commentary, but a decision was made to edit it into an all-stars one. The new book will no doubt improve on the missed opportunity to include his whole commentary as a separate track.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »

Do the pre-order now (it costs nothing). If and when amazon.com offers the book, do a price comparison. If the amazon.com offer is the better of the two, cancel the UK order.

Great news about the book, though. It will help me live a little bit longer.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »

PS: Why isn't this thread in the OUATITW section?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »

Here's the link to the Amazon.com listing, which is unreachable through its own search function (I guess until it becomes available for pre-order). There is no price listed, but Google Books shows a $75 price at Amazon, which it may have shown at one time. Both the American and UK Amazons show it releasing on the 23rd of May, but I bet that's a very fluid date this early out:
https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Time-West-Photographs/dp/1909526339?ie=UTF8&

Books a Million online does quote $75, and says it's releasing May 1st (maybe all May release dates say May 1st):
http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781909526334

Indie Bound says $75 but has the May 23rd date:
http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781909526334

The Google Books page has it showing as a June 30, 2016 release!
https://books.google.com/books/about/Once_Upon_a_Time_in_the_West.html?id=D8SMrgEACAAJ

The Reel Art Press site has nothing, but they have a "don't hesitate" contact page!
http://www.reelartpress.com/home/contact-us

I hope Frayling reads these boards...can't wait.

Herry Grail
Chicken Thief

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 10:54:28 AM »

PS: Why isn't this thread in the OUATITW section?

I thought it was an old book, and most of those, being non-specific, were discussed in the General Discussion section. It was kind of a Frayling question, really.

I do agree that it should be under News or OUATITW. Mods please move to the proper place  Smiley

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:57:01 AM by Herry Grail » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »

Do the pre-order now (it costs nothing). If and when amazon.com offers the book, do a price comparison. If the amazon.com offer is the better of the two, cancel the UK order.

Great news about the book, though. It will help me live a little bit longer.

weird that the pre-sale is ten months before the book goes on sale! My credit card won't even last that long - my credit card expires at the end of 2016, my bank will send me a new one then

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 07:44:10 AM »

It's a bit magical how we keep getting Sergio Leone "NEWS" in 2016. The book definitely sounds magical too.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM