Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2018, 07:17:12 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
: "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?  ( 17795 )
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #45 : December 10, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »

Man, i gotta have this book, but $75 is kinda steep.  It may go even higher.  Anyway, good to know that this book about the best western of all time is coming out...

You can reserve it now, and the price may go down before it is released, which youíll get with Amazonís pre-order price guarantee. If The price does not go down, you can always cancel. They donít charge your card until a few days before the release date.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #46 : December 11, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »

the price had dropped as low as $46.39.
That's where I locked it in at. Of course, with tax the full price is actually 50 and change, but that's a lot better than 75 plus tax. This is my reward for going to bed early these last 35 years . . .

Ya measly skunk! A-campiní on my trail and lettiní me do the work aní then shootiní me in the back. IN THE BACK!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #47 : December 11, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »

That's where I locked it in at. Of course, with tax the full price is actually 50 and change, but that's a lot better than 75 plus tax. This is my reward for going to bed early these last 35 years . . .

O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #48 : February 08, 2018, 05:14:27 AM »

The book has had a change of title.  SHOOTING A MASTERPIECE. Date is pushed back again as well. I liked the Shot by Shot title but hey.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-Time-West-Masterpiece/dp/1909526339/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518089834&sr=1-1&keywords=christopher+frayling+shooting

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #49 : February 08, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »

thanks for the heads up  O0

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #50 : February 09, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »

The book has had a change of title.  SHOOTING A MASTERPIECE. Date is pushed back again as well. I liked the Shot by Shot title but hey.

Yeh no kidding - "Shot by Shot" had a clever double-entendre that is all but lost in "Shooting a Masterpiece". I wonder what forced that change?

I also wonder how this book will compare to Fawell's "The Art of Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West"? Judging by Frayling's previous works, it will certainly be longer!

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #51 : February 09, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »

Yeh no kidding - "Shot by Shot" had a clever double-entendre that is all but lost in "Shooting a Masterpiece". I wonder what forced that change?

Some of us were initially wondering if the book was actually a shot-by-shot analysis of the film, and didn't realize that the "shot" referred to photographs. Perhaps that is why they changed the title.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

« #52 : February 09, 2018, 11:29:22 AM »

I also wonder how this book will compare to Fawell's "The Art of Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West"? Judging by Frayling's previous works, it will certainly be longer!

I've never read Fawell's book. Is it any good? I usually can't stand these "critical study" books on film; a bunch of nerdy stuff that takes all the joy out of watching a film. (Frayling is the one writer whose critical studies I can enjoy and who is able to do it without being nerdy and always being interesting and a great read.)

this new book on OUATITW (if it ever gets released!) is a compilation of photographs by the late stills photographer Angelo Novi. I am sure there will be some text, of course, but who knows how much ...

« : August 28, 2018, 07:57:04 PM drinkanddestroy »

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #53 : February 09, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »

Some of us were initially wondering if the book was actually a shot-by-shot analysis of the film, and didn't realize that the "shot" referred to photographs. Perhaps that is why they changed the title.

That's why it was a clever title and should have been kept.

I've never read Fawell's book. Is it any good? I usually can't stand these "critical study" books on film; a bunch of nerdy stuff that takes all the joy out of watching a film. (Frayling is the one writer whose critical studies I can enjoy and who is able to do it without being nerdy and always being interesting and a great read.)

RE: this new book on OUATITW (if it ever gets released!) is a compilation of photographs by the late stills photographer Angelo Novi. I am sure there will be some text, of course, but who knows how much ...

I don't own it but browsed through a library copy once. I remember it being quite a slim volume with some interesting stuff about Leone's visual style in the latter part.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #54 : February 09, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »

Actually I guess it's a "triple entendre" then: every gun shot; scene by scene analysis; photographic stills.

They really should have kept that title.

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #55 : February 10, 2018, 02:16:56 AM »

I'm not interested in photo books.

I'm probably the only one here who was disappointed by Hanley's GBU book. Too much photos, and not enough interesting text to justify the price.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #56 : February 10, 2018, 03:32:54 AM »

I like photo books when the photos are not stills from the actual film unless the still itself is being provided to demonstrate a particular comment in the text regarding composition etc. Mike's book on Peckinpah for example has some great behind-the-scenes, deleted scenes and candid shots that are great to see. It actually took me a while to source all the behind-the-scenes shots of Leone and Valerii on "Nobody" since all I kept turning up was still after still of the actual film.

Shadow
Chicken Thief

« #57 : March 03, 2018, 01:55:35 PM »

I was just informed by Amazon that this release has now been cancelled all together...... thatís a shame!
I wonder what the story behind all this.....

Too bad....

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #58 : March 03, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »

There's no mention at all of the book on the website of the Angelo Novi estate either:

http://www.angelonovi.com/

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

« #59 : March 04, 2018, 08:13:24 AM »

Weird.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM