Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 09:18:15 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
: "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?  ( 14556 )
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

« #60 : April 02, 2018, 04:22:02 AM »

Good news, I emailed the publisher, and received this reply:

Hi jordan - it’s not cancelled. It’s coming out in October, and now includes an extensive introduction from Quentin Tarantino.

All the best,

Rory

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #61 : April 02, 2018, 07:41:32 AM »

Curiouser and curiouser.  O0

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #62 : April 03, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »

It’s coming out in October, and now includes an extensive introduction from Quentin Tarantino.

Tying into his forthcoming "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" I suppose

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #63 : July 20, 2018, 01:46:29 PM »

Cover is on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-Time-Shooting-Masterpiece/dp/1909526339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532118712&sr=8-1&keywords=once+upon+a+time+in+the+west+shooting

I was going to load a picture here but the new file attachment is not working.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #64 : July 20, 2018, 04:09:35 PM »

Cover is on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-Upon-Time-Shooting-Masterpiece/dp/1909526339/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532118712&sr=8-1&keywords=once+upon+a+time+in+the+west+shooting

I was going to load a picture here but the new file attachment is not working.

!!!!!!

And some photos are available on that Amazon page, too! Release date says October 15, 2018. Now that there is a cover, I do believe that the release date may be accurate. Only question is why Frayling would choose a cover for this book that is so similar – or perhaps identical - to the cover of his biography of Leone, “Something to do with Death”

« : July 21, 2018, 07:59:16 PM drinkanddestroy »

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #65 : July 21, 2018, 03:52:52 AM »

cool.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #66 : July 21, 2018, 08:47:37 AM »

Only question is why Frayling would choose a cover for this book that is so similar – or perhaps identical - to the cover of his biography of Leone, “Something to do with Death”
Authors don't choose cover illustrations/photos/designs--that's strictly the province of the publisher. And the publisher goes with what he/she/it thinks will help sell a book.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Jordan Krug
Bounty Killer

Crazy bellringer was right....

« #67 : July 30, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »

Yeah for a book that promises vast quantities of unseen photos, kinda funny that they use an image we've all seen a million times before...

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #68 : July 31, 2018, 02:49:40 AM »

Authors don't choose cover illustrations/photos/designs--that's strictly the province of the publisher. And the publisher goes with what he/she/it thinks will help sell a book.

Are you sure that someone like Frayling doesn't care how the cover looks?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #69 : July 31, 2018, 06:29:51 AM »

Sure he does. He just has no say in the matter.

Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #70 : August 01, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »

Yeah for a book that promises vast quantities of unseen photos, kinda funny that they use an image we've all seen a million times before...

It's a great image, but I couldn't agree more in that regard.

Sure he does. He just has no say in the matter.

That's not necessarily the case, although he can be forced to adopt a title and image he doesn't like if there is an impasse.

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #71 : August 01, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »

And very similar to the book by John Fawell, The Art of Sergio Leone's OUATITW. Same colour and Image.

There's a great still on the Amazon page that shows cast and crew during a break from the Cattle Corner Station scene.

« : August 01, 2018, 11:09:13 AM Le Bon »
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #72 : August 01, 2018, 04:59:17 PM »

Interesting, that people here really KNOW what each author in the world can do and
what he can't do :).  Where is all that mysterious universal knowledge coming from...

Anyway, as far as I know, from fellow writers as well,
you have your little input :).
I myself chose both front cover images for my books.
In the case of McQueen I had to fight, because the publisher didn't
want a photo depicting Steve smoking. Funny Americans :).
Well I won that little battle and I am really happy about the cover - King of cool nevertheless :).
(me and my buddy Fabian even designed the title on the chair...)

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
Novecento
Bounty Killer

« #73 : August 01, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »

Interesting, that people here really KNOW what each author in the world can do and
what he can't do :).  Where is all that mysterious universal knowledge coming from...

My experience (very niche even for academia and certainly not mass-market) has been a certain degree of input within the guidelines of the series within which it was being published.

Leonardo
Gunslinger

"So you're not a businessman after all.."

« #74 : August 08, 2018, 06:54:07 AM »

Since I can't wait to get the Angelo Novi / Frayling book, I stumbled upon this book on Amazon and I bought it on impulse:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SERGIO-LEONE-BACKSTAGE-GENIUS-PHOTOGRAPHY/dp/8890895519/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533735224&sr=8-3&keywords=jarach

I just got it today and it was a disappointment. 100 pages and about 80 black & white photos taken on the OUTITW set, mostly of Claudia Cardinale. This is of course OK, as she is really stunningly beautiful, but I was expecting more photos of the other actors and of Leone himself. The book is in Italian and English, with a bio by the author and an interview with Terence Hill. Each photo comes with a short and totally useless caption, poorly translated into English ("Claudia kisses her horse, like her own son" or "Jason has accompanied Claudia to her caravan. She can finally take a shower to get away the sweat and the dust" or even "She was so beautiful that made to fall in love the whole troupe").
The author claims that he went to Almeria to see and take photos of a genius at work, but in reality it's a series of fashion shots of Claudia Cardinale.
Very disappointing. Now I'll wait even more eagerly for the Novi/Frayling book.

: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines