Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2019, 06:53:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
: "OUATITW: Shot by Shot" by Frayling?  ( 32320 )
Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #120 : April 19, 2019, 01:39:58 AM »

I forget now. Is the CVC release the only one that has the 175 min version?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #121 : April 19, 2019, 04:02:50 AM »

Nope, nothing on the long Italian release although the book does note the shot of Harmonica rising from the platform is a deleted scene and was not in the original Italian release. Lots of great stuff in this book! Can't wait to scan the contact sheets to have a better look.

I like that scene because it shows how Harmonica had his gun in the satchel, why he was able to shoot the 3 top-notch killers.

But agree that the scene was NOT in the original 1969 version that I saw in the theater first run.  By the way (and I've mentioned this before), in Phoenix this film never was screened at any of the big theaters at all; we were waiting for its release, saw it at a theater with about 60 seats.  A year later a version where Cheyenne did not die was shown at a drive-in.  Neither had the line "but sons of bitches - yeah" by Harmonica at the land auction.

« : April 19, 2019, 04:06:52 AM Cusser »
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

Call me Kowalski, like the guy in Vanishing Point

« #122 : April 19, 2019, 12:52:52 PM »

I can further recommend ordering through Amazon UK,
they refunded me 0,02 pounds due to "pre-order savings" !!!!

New Sam Peckinpah forum online!  www.earnedinblood.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #123 : April 23, 2019, 12:40:28 PM »

IN DA HOUSE!

And wow . . . (heavy) . . .

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #124 : April 24, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »

There seems to have been a shift in focus of this book which could explain the delays. It is now said to include interviews with personnel in front of and behind the camera,  rare documents, designs and photos whereas before it only mentioned Angelo Novi's photos.
So the book is a combination of text and photos and illustrations (lots of poster art). The photos are very nice. The text, though, leaves something to be desired. QT's intro is interesting--he spends most of it avoiding the subject. In fact, this sounds like QT didn't actually write this, he spoke off the top of his head and someone recorded/ transcribed it. OUATITW is thus a jumping off point for an almost stream-of-consciousness routine where each thought inspires him to head for the nearest tangent. This is not all bad, though--it turns out he'd rather talk about GBU (his "favorite film"), and he actually has some interesting things to say there. Anyway, it's entertaining.

Frayling's essay seems like a distillation of his chapter on West in STDWD. I didn't read through it, but at the points I dipped in it seemed to contain mostly production history and a bit about the film's reception.

The bulk of the text is given over to interviews that Frayling has conducted over the years and other pieces where the participants speak about the film. Many of these have, I'm guessing, appeared elsewhere before, but perhaps some are here for the first time in English. There are some bits that are transcriptions from the film Once Upon a Time: Sergio Leone. There's a new 2018 interview with Santi--that seems to be the only recent one.

Then there is a "Tributes" section by filmmakers saying nice things about Leone. Lots of bromides; little that is concrete.

There's a list of all the "quotations" from other Westerns--most of these are ridiculous.

There is a production chronology that gives a day-by-day summary of the 3 shoots (Rome, Spain, U.S.).

There is a section with stills from scenes that didn't make it into the film (the foot rubbing scene, etc.)

There is a detailed look at the film's final sequence (I haven't read through that yet).

There's a lot of other stuff (Carlo Simi's production sketches, etc.). It's quite a big book. Maybe we didn't need quite so many examples from Frayling's poster collection. He has the Italian posters for a lot of AWs and he's anxious to show them to us.

On balance I'd say the photos and illustrations are very much worth having, but the text isn't all that. It doesn't hurt to have it, I suppose, but the added weight will work on the binding over time and I'm worried that the spine will work its way free of the cover sooner or later (probably sooner). At around $50, though, it's still pretty good value for money.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #125 : April 24, 2019, 01:06:12 PM »

Got mine today...

Of course I like it, in my world, all my favorite films should have their "own" volume :).

Yet, I certainly would have done it differently. I can't comment on the text, I doubt
I'll find the time before summer thanks to all the "50th anniversary" projects....
First, I don't fancy the matte paperstock at all. Glossy or semi-glossy paper
would make it look much better. Then again - personal taste. I'm sure many will like it anyway...

I'm all for visuals, I certainly would have included as many rare images as possible - there are
so many superb behind the scenes - stills out there... unfortunately not as many in the book
as I had hoped for. Regarding that I prefer the GBU book by far. And it was not
a matter of space, but rather design / layout - decisions (for instance 15%, about 35 pages,
depict not OUATITW but other films, like - nice - Italian posters of US westerns, Tarantino scene stills
or what have you.) The reproduction of 35mm contact sheets I never liked in any publication,
it's merely a "gag", one can't really see much on them. But if they had been available, one could have
scanned them perfectly for half-page presentation without any problems at all - great "yet unseen" images
sort of "wasted".

So far my "issues" with the book, besides that I love it of course. One can't be a true Leone - fan
and not like full volumes on his films !! The price is OK, so everybody should have it - I think.
If people like us don't buy them - who else were they made for ??

« : April 24, 2019, 02:53:32 PM mike siegel »

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #126 : April 25, 2019, 04:06:19 AM »

Yet, I certainly would have done it differently. I can't comment on the text, I doubt
I'll find the time before summer thanks to all the "50th anniversary" projects....
First, I don't fancy the matte paperstock at all. Glossy or semi-glossy paper
would make it look much better.
You mean . . . like the way you did it in your Steve McQueen book? Huh, it's funny that Sir Chris would go with a cheapjack publisher like this. And after you had already shown him how to do it, too. But maybe this way the profit margin is better.

I agree, though . . . the GBU book is better made.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #127 : April 25, 2019, 06:24:36 AM »

You mean . . . like the way you did it in your Steve McQueen book? Huh, it's funny that Sir Chris would go with a cheapjack publisher like this. And after you had already shown him how to do it, too. But maybe this way the profit margin is better.

I agree, though . . . the GBU book is better made.

;D ;D
I have to admit I'm very proud of the Steve-book, it's great if you do something exactly the way want to, 'being a control freak...
75% of text was written by the co-author of course, but each page was lay-outet by me, all of the visuals are my choices...
So I can't blame anybody and I can also live with critisism...

Anyway, I wasn't thinking of it, regarding the OUATITW book... covering one single film on 330 pages is less complicated
than finding the right balance for 26 films on 600 pages. In the end you approach all projects with your personal taste,
I'm sure I'll ask him in the future whether he is 100% satisfied with the final product.
In August our WILD BUNCH special issue will be out, 112 pages... I'm happy we did it - but I have about 2000 stills
on WILD BUNCH, can you imagine what my book on the film would look like  ;D. I'd love to do it just for the sake
of having my own copy  :).

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #128 : April 25, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »

I agree with most of Mike's points. Would look better on gloss paper, more WEST stills and less US western posters. I take the point about contact sheets but I think in this case it works with the day by day shooting theme. More of the images on them could have been shown larger as well. Don't usually like double page spreads but the ones here are chosen well and nothing vital is lost in the centre as often the case.
I think the GBU book set the bar so high that is difficult to match it. Overall it is a great book. Years ago we would dream of having a book on just one of the films.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #129 : April 25, 2019, 08:51:06 AM »

In August our WILD BUNCH special issue will be out, 112 pages... I'm happy we did it - but I have about 2000 stills
on WILD BUNCH, can you imagine what my book on the film would look like  ;D. I'd love to do it just for the sake
of having my own copy  :).
The Cinema Retro special edition of THE WILD BUNCH . . . how can we get copies? Amazon doesn't sell it and you can't get it in book stores.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #130 : April 25, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »

Through the website... (or Ebay.com !)

But it's not listed yet...

https://cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/4612-CINEMA-RETRO-DOLLARS-MOVIE-CLASSIC-EDITION-NOW-SHIPPING-IN-THE-UK-AND-EUROPE.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

« #131 : April 25, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »

Cinema Retro already had a Dollars Trilogy special edition. How about a Once Upon a Time “trilogy” edition?

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #132 : April 25, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »

Oh, that would be something!
Great idea! (not my shop, but I'll suggest it for sure!!)

(The $$ issue was a given, CR readers might have guessed over the years that Dave & Lee Pfeiffer
are HUGE Eastwood fans :). Four special issues on him so far!)

« : April 25, 2019, 02:33:39 PM mike siegel »

stanton
Bounty Killer

« #133 : April 26, 2019, 03:19:36 AM »

One can't be a true Leone - fan
and not like full volumes on his films !!

Well I am.

After reading what I read here I won't buy it for now. Maybe later, maybe never. Less a matter of money, but a matter of time.

It does not look that interesting for one who is not that much interested in stills, posters etc. And there are so many other more interesting books I don't find the time for either at the moment.

mike siegel
Bounty Killer

« #134 : April 26, 2019, 04:46:23 AM »

Well each has his own personal dilemma's :).

I work often 60 hrs a week - but without great books
my life would be emptier...

We complain on a hight level, books like these were
inconceivably 30,40 years ago... looks like I'll do one
myself now (as part of a team), 'guess I'll sign a contract
next week. A BIGGIE  :)

: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines