Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2018, 09:34:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Abbas Kiarostami(1940-2016)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Abbas Kiarostami(1940-2016)  (Read 704 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/04/abbas-kiarostami-palme-dor-winning-iranian-film-maker-dies?CMP=share_btn_tw

He hadn't made a decent film since switching to digital, but might have had one last masterwork in him. Too bad. The lions pass from the scene, but jackals like Malick and PTA Anderson continue to thrive.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:41:40 AM »

Didn't like certified copy.

Haven't seen any others.

Don't be mean to my friends

Edit: RIP

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:55:55 AM »

Didn't like certified copy.
Neither did I. See his Iranian films. Wink

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 01:30:46 PM »

Thousands turn out to mourn in Tehran. https://twitter.com/NegarMortazavi/status/752098547596681216

Somehow I'm guessing the turnout for Cimino won't be as impressive. . . .

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 10:21:56 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/04/abbas-kiarostami-palme-dor-winning-iranian-film-maker-dies?CMP=share_btn_tw

He hadn't made a decent film since switching to digital, but might have had one last masterwork in him. Too bad. The lions pass from the scene, but jackals like Malick and PTA Anderson continue to thrive.

What did you like from him? I've only seen "Where Is the Friend's Home?" and it wasn't even half as good as a failed PTA. I haven't seen anything else. He seemed to be a great guy though, I had a lot of sympathy for him. Sad news. RIP.

Somehow I'm guessing the turnout for Cimino won't be as impressive. . . .

I don't think people in Tehran got the news Cimino was even born at some point.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:23:13 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

What did you like from him? I've only seen "Where Is the Friend's Home?" and it wasn't even half as good as a failed PTA.
Well, I disagree. And then that is the foundation for the so-called Koker Trilogy, so you should see the two films that followed. And then there is Close-up, a very good mix of documentary and fiction. My favorite is the one called (something like) The Wind Will Carry It, his last feature on film.

I don't just mean that people in Tehran won't be turning out en masse for Cimino; he won't be drawing thousands anywhere. And this is as it should be.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »

Here is Marty's tribute to the man:
“I was deeply shocked and saddened when I heard the news of Abbas Kiarostami’s death. He was one of those rare artists with a special knowledge of the world, put into words by the great Jean Renoir: ‘Reality is always magic.’ For me, that statement sums up Kiarostami’s extraordinary body of work. Some refer to his pictures as ‘minimal’ or ‘minimalist,’ but it’s actually the opposite: every scene in Taste of Cherry or Where Is the Friend’s House? is overflowing with beauty and surprise, patiently and exquisitely captured. I got to know Abbas over the last 10 or 15 years. He was a very special human being: quiet, elegant, modest, articulate, and quite observant – I don’t think he missed anything. Our paths crossed too seldom, and I was always glad when they did. He was a true gentleman, and, truly, one of our great artists.”
Oh yeah, there's this PS also:
"Noodles Leone--he doesn't really know anything about cinema, does he?"

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 05:49:45 AM »

Marty knows who I am  Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro

Please ask him what he thought of my genital herpes TV commercial. It's heavily inspired by his work.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:50:55 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:45:09 AM »

Please ask him what he thought of my genital herpes TV commercial. It's heavily inspired by his work.
He is aware of it, but he's determined not to let that interfere with your future relationship. What a guy!

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 02:06:06 AM »

He is aware of it, but he's determined not to let that interfere with your future relationship. What a guy!

Grin

Well, I disagree. And then that is the foundation for the so-called Koker Trilogy, so you should see the two films that followed. And then there is Close-up, a very good mix of documentary and fiction. My favorite is the one called (something like) The Wind Will Carry It, his last feature on film.

Thanks, I'm gonna give them a shot, eventhough my exasperating aunt likes them.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 06:37:48 PM »

More gush from Marty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csWZl9dTsw8

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM