Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 02:23:39 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sunshine Superman at 50
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunshine Superman at 50  (Read 1041 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »

Well, Bert Jansch, before there was a Pentangle.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »

Well, Bert Jansch, before there was a Pentangle.

Yeah, I did not remember if it was Jansch or Renbourn. The song is in a 20 min version also on a Pentangle album, and it is a wonderful piece of music on an underrated album.
Never heard the earlier version. I'm just checking it on the tube. It's rawer than the Pentangle version.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 05:54:27 PM »

But of course the real number one of the year was:

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »

Yeah, I did not remember if it was Jansch or Renbourn. The song is in a 20 min version also on a Pentangle album, and it is a wonderful piece of music on an underrated album.
Never heard the earlier version. I'm just checking it on the tube. It's rawer than the Pentangle version.
Yes. I prefer the Pentangle version, but alternate versions are always fun.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2016, 07:33:26 AM »

But of course the real number one of the year was:

It was understood that we were talking about pop albums, excluding jazz, classical, and movie soundtracks.

But anyway, is the OST of GBU really a 1966 release? The movie only premiered on Dec. 23rd. The idea of putting out soundtrack albums before the release of films had not yet occurred. In the 60s there was, it seems to me, usually a lag between the arrival of a film and its soundtrack. Now, GBU may have been an exception since FAFDM was so popular, but I want to see some documentation. Sure, Wikipedia claims the OST is 1966, but they don't verify it. Does anybody have any evidence that it was actually released in 66 and not 67?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 10:03:12 AM »

But anyway, is the OST of GBU really a 1966 release? ?

You mean the OST of "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

You mean the OST of "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

No, he obviously means 2 glorreiche Halunken

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2016, 04:17:43 PM »

Anyway it's 1966:

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 01:28:25 PM »

Anyway it's 1966:
Sorry, dating on the sleeve or label is not dispositive. Those dates apply only to the object at the time of printing. They say nothing of when the work was actually released--when it was available in shops for purchase. That's the only thing that interests me: when people could actually hold it in their hands and play it on their stereos. That's also why I disallow dates for films that were shown at a festival or whatever but were not in general release for the following year (Casablanca, for example, is correctly identified as a 1943 film). Who was listening to the GBU OST in 1966? I believe no one in the general public, unless someone can produce a review or some other proof that it was available at that time. In the absence of such proof, I will contend that the GBU OST is a 1967 release.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

Anyway, it isn't the best album of either 66 or 67. Soundtracks were not composed to fill a complete LP, and the GBU score has also not enough substance for that.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »

Sorry, dating on the sleeve or label is not dispositive. Those dates apply only to the object at the time of printing. They say nothing of when the work was actually released--when it was available in shops for purchase. That's the only thing that interests me: when people could actually hold it in their hands and play it on their stereos. That's also why I disallow dates for films that were shown at a festival or whatever but were not in general release for the following year (Casablanca, for example, is correctly identified as a 1943 film). Who was listening to the GBU OST in 1966? I believe no one in the general public, unless someone can produce a review or some other proof that it was available at that time. In the absence of such proof, I will contend that the GBU OST is a 1967 release.
We're talking about Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo, I presume? Why do you speak of the "GBU OST" which wasn't even existing at the time? Shocked
The production date on the label says 1966 and for me that's that. The records might even have been printed in 1966 and put into circulation in 1967: it would be still 1966. You're refusing to accept the only proof available  for a certain date without furnishing a single element to support your contention that this is a 1967 product. Do as you like but don't talk bs.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:34:11 PM by titoli » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM