Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 06:07:12 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Collateral
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Collateral  (Read 2656 times)
General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2004, 06:17:54 PM »

Saw Collateral this afternoon, loved it!  I'm not a Tom Cruise fan but he was really good in this -  it's not his usual "I'm Tom Cruise and I'm a Movie God"performance like Last Samurai.  Nice tight story line.  Great pacing, boomboomboom without your typical MTV-style quick cuts.  Very cool soundtrack.  Highly recommend this, especially on the big screen.   Michael Mann's a real craftsman.

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2004, 07:26:25 PM »

I liked it too, Cruise was good against type, but I guessed the significance of the the set up of the girl in the taxi during the course of the film. It would have been better if it did not have that predictable ending. We need more of the old "Spaghetti" influence in movies again where you never know WTF is going to happen.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lewis Hawk
Bandido

"Creuse..."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 03:46:38 AM »

I'm french and this movie is just coming soon. I had decided to come and see it. Now i know i'll love it thank you guys...

Bill Carson
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 06:59:02 AM »

Cool hola amigos! well, I saw COLLATERAL last night at my local cinema and I was very impressed. it's not JUST a Tom Cruise movie, as many of you guys already know, Michael Mann is a true master of his craft and this film is no exception. the cinematography is top-notch and so is the music (I got the soundtrack some months ago). Jamie Foxx: I'd seen him in Stone's ANY GIVEN SUNDAY and thought his performance was about average but here he truly shines as Max the cabbie. Mark Ruffalo, Peter Berg, and Jada Pinkett-Smith are all good in their supporting roles. however, it is worth noting that this film is not quite as 'operatic' as HEAT; I actually think it has more of a kinship with gritty urban-thrillers such as the excellent NARC & TRAINING DAY.  anyway gang, WATCH THIS FILM. it was definitely a more satisfying experience than the whole 'summer blockbuster' bunch (most of which I wisely avoided this year)

David Aaronson
Bandido

Noodles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 03:09:07 PM »

I saw it last week, and I really liked it. Well paced, tighly woven story that lacks in the third act, however, I still enjoyed it quite a lot. Tom Cruise is nice playing against type, but it's Foxx who shines here. I have high hopes for his role in the upcoming Ray Charles biopic Ray, it is rumored that he might go up for the oscars with that one (not that I care much, the Academy doesn't really know much about movies IMHO).
I loved the cinematography in this film, especially the focusing. It's not Mann's greatest film, and a better ending would have helped the film a lot, but still, it's a great ride.

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?
Noodles: I've been going to bed early.
Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 12:44:52 PM »

Finally saw it yesterday, and as a Michael Mann fan, I was definately not dissapointed. The ending was predictable, but exiting and well shot nevertheless. The film looked great on HD, and Tom Cruise was cool as hell, although the real revelation here was Jamie Foxx.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:13 AM »

Re-watched Collateral after a couple of years and I must say it's still very good. Very good thriller, not great and character-built as Heat but intense and Mann really captured the ''LA way''. Foxx didn't impress me (though he wasn't bad), the supporting cast is half-good (Mark Ruffalo, Javier Bardem, Bruce McGill) half bad (Jada Pinkett Smith), but Tom Cruise is E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T. You can love him or hate him but here he surpassed everybody's expectations, he almost made this movie a one man show. The third act is weak; unoriginal and bum-paced, but you'll survive it.

7.35 - 7.5 / 10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM