Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 07:20:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Fort Yuma (1955)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fort Yuma (1955)  (Read 220 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »

This is liquidated by Garfield with 5 words as presenting "nice scenery but dull plot" (I strongly suspect he didn't watch the movie at all). Scenery didn't strike me as worth noticing, while the plot it is surely not of the ordinary kind. Especially as, I quote from IMDB, "Removed were scenes where a man is spread-eagled and torn apart by horses; an arrow impaling a hand to wood; and a scene depicting the bodies of hanged Indians, swaying from tree limbs." That can easily make one assume that this could have done almost what Aldrich did 20 years later with Ulzana.    Still there are some original twists in the plot for the times.  The protagonist, played by Peter Graves, is a pityless Apache killer, who at the same time has a sex relationship with a half Indian half mexican girl (pretty Joan Taylor) whose brother is a scout who is involved, at the same time, with a very white girl, presumably marrying her at the end.  Unfortunately the two characters are played by very white actors, so weakening the impact of the situation, but still it was something inusual for the times. We can also add the scene of the Apache being hung after having been made prisoner after a brief "humanitarian" discussion. The discusssions about race issues may annoy you, still the movie isn't so much anti-Indians, who are shown as having some reason to fight. A generous 7/!0 

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:43:15 AM »

Don't think I've ever seen it.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »

Don't think I've ever seen it.
I believe you.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM