Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 07:02:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Ennio Morricone (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Morricone 60
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morricone 60  (Read 1535 times)
PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2016, 12:25:34 AM »

Fuckin great

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »

Of course it is.

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 10:54:47 PM »

I just bought and downloaded it from iTunes.

Only thing I don't like about downloading from iTunes is that if I had bought the physical cd, I would get the booklet. Not sure if there is anything interesting in the booklet of this particular cd. Usually, a cd can be bought for just a few bucks more than the cost of buying the album from iTunes. If there is an interesting booklet, it's worth paying the few extra bucks.

Question for the tech people here: If I want an album: Sometimes I buy a cd, rip the songs onto my computer. Other times, I go to the iTunes Store, and buy the file from there and download it on to my computer. Is there any difference in the music quality if I buy the cd and rip it onto my computer's iTunes library, or if I buy the MP3 download from iTunes?

Anyway, listening to the album now, and ripping it onto my iPod. Aren't I old fashioned? I still use iTunes and iPod. I do not use the streaming services, and I do not use my iPhone for music. I still have a lovely iPod nano, a tiny beaut, 6th generation  Smiley

Listening now to the main theme of GBU. I do not like it. (These songs were all recorded in 2016, with Czech National Symphony Orchestra. Not sure if these are live or in studio. If I had the damn booklet I could probably read all about it  Evil )

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:03:19 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »

Just listened to Jill's Theme and the main theme from DYS (called "A Fistful of Dynamite" on the album). This soprano ain't no Edda Dell'Orso, I can tell you that.
Ugh, DYS is too fast, and listening right now to Ecstasy of Gold, and as usual Morricone is playing it waaaaaaaay too fast. The original version from the movie has never been equaled in any live recording. Morricone has lately been conducting it much faster than the original, and I far prefer the original. And did I mention that this soprano is shit?

of the 23 tracks, 19 were recorded new for 2016 (not sure if live or in studio.) 4 seem to be original movie soundtrack versions.

The 4 originals are:

Main theme from FAFDM
Credit credit theme from FOD (not the trumpet theme)
La Califfa
Death Theme from "The Untouchables"

The 19 tracks that are 2016 recordings are:

Gabrielís Oboe (from The Mission)                                                                    
Falls (from The Mission)
On Earth As It Is In Heaven (from The Mission)  
The Man with the Harmonica (from OUATITW)
The Fortress (from GBU)                            
GBU Ė main theme              
Jillís Theme (from OUATITW)                                          
A Fistful of Dynamite - main theme                          
The Ecstasy of Gold (from GBU)                                
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso    
Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso                                                                        
Abolisson  (from Quemada)                                                                                  
Chi Mai                                                                                                        
H2S                                                                                                                
Metti una Sera a Cena (from the film)                                                          
Croce díAmore (from Metti una Sera a Cena)                                        
Deborahís Theme (from OUATIA)                                  
Stage Coach to Red Rock (from The Hateful Eight)                                            
Bestiality (from The Hateful Eight)  

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 11:40:12 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:12 AM »

Question for the tech people here: If I want an album: Sometimes I buy a cd, rip the songs onto my computer. Other times, I go to the iTunes Store, and buy the file from there and download it on to my computer. Is there any difference in the music quality if I buy the cd and rip it onto my computer's iTunes library, or if I buy the MP3 download from iTunes?

It depends on the settings. Anyway, one thing you can be absolutely sure of: the music quality on the CD is much better than on any kind of audio file you have on your iTunes library or iPod.

Just listened to Jill's Theme and the main theme from DYS (called "A Fistful of Dynamite" on the album). This soprano ain't no Edda Dell'Orso, I can tell you that.
Ugh, DYS is too fast, and listening right now to Ecstasy of Gold, and as usual Morricone is playing it waaaaaaaay too fast. The original version from the movie has never been equaled in any live recording. Morricone has lately been conducting it much faster than the original, and I far prefer the original. And did I mention that this soprano is shit?

of the 23 tracks, 19 were recorded new for 2016 (not sure if live or in studio.) 4 seem to be original movie soundtrack versions.

The 4 originals are:

Main theme from FAFDM
Credit credit theme from FOD (not the trumpet theme)
La Califfa
Death Theme from "The Untouchables"

The 19 tracks that are 2016 recordings are:

Gabrielís Oboe (from The Mission)                                                                    
Falls (from The Mission)
On Earth As It Is In Heaven (from The Mission)  
The Man with the Harmonica (from OUATITW)
The Fortress (from GBU)                            
GBU Ė main theme              
Jillís Theme (from OUATITW)                                          
A Fistful of Dynamite - main theme                          
The Ecstasy of Gold (from GBU)                                
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso    
Love Theme from Cinema Paradiso                                                                        
Abolisson  (from Quemada)                                                                                  
Chi Mai                                                                                                        
H2S                                                                                                                
Metti una Sera a Cena (from the film)                                                          
Croce díAmore (from Metti una Sera a Cena)                                        
Deborahís Theme (from OUATIA)                                  
Stage Coach to Red Rock (from The Hateful Eight)                                            
Bestiality (from The Hateful Eight)  

Thanks for the listing. Why do you say "seem to be original movie soundtrack versions"? Are you judging from the audio quality or are you reading stuff elsewhere?

I agree Ecstasy (and only this one) is too fast but I still like the fast version. It's a different kind of energy that can be found in this piece. It's not like he's betraying anything. It works, and it works well (it works even better as a live performance, of course). The only thing I'm sad is that we will probably never get a proper recording of the movie version. We don't have the proper soprano anyway.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:26:15 AM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »

It depends on the settings. Anyway, one thing you can be absolutely sure of: the music quality on the CD is much better than on any kind of audio file you have on your iTunes library or iPod.

So you are saying it's better if I buy a cd and rip that onto my computer/ipod, rather than buying the album from iTunes?

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

No he says that a CD has a much better quality than a compressed MP3 file. In which resolution do you get MP3s from iTunes?

noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 01:50:21 PM »

Apparently, 256kbps, which is pretty much as good as a MP3-like (it's actually AAC) can be of I'm not mistaken. I'm unable to eat the difference between a 256kbps MP3 file and a 512kbps, according to some old tests I had done (but maybe it was just my audio system). But you're still far from what you get straight on the Cd (before importing it to iTunes).

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/141570/what-is-the-quality-of-the-music-sold-in-the-itunes-store

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:52:48 PM by noodles_leone » Logged

www.ThibautOskian.com
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »

Thanks for the listing. Why do you say "seem to be original movie soundtrack versions"? Are you judging from the audio quality or are you reading stuff elsewhere?

The other 19 songs say that they are 2016 recordings. These 4 do not. I know what the main theme of FOD and FAFDM sound like; I have heard them hundreds of times. They are definitely the originals. The other two I am not familiar with; but I assume that if FOD and FAFDM are originals, they are as well.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:53:34 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

Milan NS
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2016, 06:19:22 AM »

Yes, there are old studio recordings there as well. No idea why... Maybe this topic can help:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117458&forumID=1&archive=0

That DVD sounds nice...

PowerRR
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »

man... harsh critics. I loved the album generally, don't mind hearing Morricone's own slightly different renditions of his best works.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM