Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 12:52:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Road to Denver (1955)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Road to Denver (1955)  (Read 300 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2016, 02:29:08 AM »

LVC has a good screen (though almost silent) time here, as much as a wasted (I mean him as a luxury) Cobb (or a Worden, there for just a few seconds!). I don't know if I judge him with post-Leone savvy, but I feel his presence is relevant: I mean, his face and his phisique "shoot through the screen". And the directors who picked him up knew it, like in this case. So why he didn't make it to more relevant roles, at least as chief-baddie, remains a mystery, unless there were out-of-set reasons.
This movie is usual Big Older Brother vs. Little hotheaded brother, with a quite asinine final plot twist (the killing of of little bro as a improbable threat) but competently developed (a good, original card game scene, for example). Only complaint about Mona Freeman, who looks like Mercedes McCambridge's little sister. 6-7/10 

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »

LVC has a good screen (though almost silent) time here, as much as a wasted (I mean him as a luxury) Cobb (or a Worden, there for just a few seconds!). I don't know if I judge him with post-Leone savvy, but I feel his presence is relevant: I mean, his face and his phisique "shoot through the screen". And the directors who picked him up knew it, like in this case. So why he didn't make it to more relevant roles, at least as chief-baddie, remains a mystery, unless there were out-of-set reasons.
This movie is usual Big Older Brother vs. Little hotheaded brother, with a quite asinine final plot twist (the killing of of little bro as a improbable threat) but competently developed (a good, original card game scene, for example). Only complaint about Mona Freeman, who looks like Mercedes McCambridge's little sister. 6-7/10  

Yeah, it's a mediocre 50's time passer, with some good moments.

LVC wasted here indeed: he doesn't fit. Not the role but the interaction with other characters, as you said, he shoots through the screen, it doesn't feel believable when they 'humiliate' him (as the third baddie in line).

6/10

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:34:22 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM