Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 06:00:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sean or John?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sean or John?  (Read 18157 times)
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »

in the final flashback, just before sean blows himself up they both kiss the girl... and sean watches and smiles... thats where the trios comes in

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2004, 03:46:46 AM »

out of interest, roughly how long is this final flashback, is it a sizeable omission in terms of time as well as story?

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Jon
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2004, 04:55:05 AM »

The full version of the final flashback is about 3 1/2 mins., although one of the older versions of the film reduced it to about 30 secs.

Nobody
Gunslinger

Nobody, but Nobody, knows the trouble he's in!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2004, 10:35:12 AM »

woohoo! Special Edition! You gotta love it.

"As boys, they said they would die for each other. As men, they did."
Concorde
Gunslinger

"Finally, I believe ONLY in dynamite...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2004, 04:44:44 AM »

Huh

Maybe we should change the name of this thread -- or start a new one -- about the name of the "Mallory's Friend" character played by David Warbeck in the flashbacks.

I just found a reference to him as "Nolan" on page 98 of the DUCK YOU SUCKER paperback novelization.

Shocked

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 03:54:02 PM »

In the movie his name is Sean but on some DVD and CD covers ( including imdb ) they refer to him as John. Why is that?

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 05:04:44 PM »

In the movie his name is Sean but on some DVD and CD covers ( including imdb ) they refer to him as John. Why is that?

well his name is mentioned as "John" in the film. Never Sean(except for one scene).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »

If you want, Peacemaker, you could have a little lookie back through these threads. Dunno if they'll help or just leave you more confused?

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2093

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10.60

Sean, John e Juan, no?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 08:50:33 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 09:06:30 AM »

If you want, Peacemaker, you could have a little lookie back through these threads. Dunno if they'll help or just leave you more confused?

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2093

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=10.60

Sean, John e Juan, no?

Thanks for the help but I'm still confused. I haven't seen this movie for over two years and only saw it once. Why is John called Sean in one scene if his name is John? And if his name is John, then how come on the soundtrack there are the sean chants?

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 09:51:57 AM »

In several moments in the film, he is clearly called "John Mallory". The confusion comes when Juan askes him his name. He has just been thinking of David Warbeck's character in the old days in Ireland. Still in a daze he says "Sean..." He then quickly corrects himself and says "John."

So. Was his real name Sean and he's changed it to "John"? Or was the Warbeck character called "Sean", and Coburn says his name because he was thinking of him? Are the "Sean Sean Sean" chants in the music a haunting memory of his old friend and collegue, a man who he killed, or a song about Coburn himself?

Even the three Sean's on the soundtrack seem significant, as there are three "John's" in the movie, John, Sean and Juan, which all translate as the same thing in Italian, "Giovanni".

Perhaps the Morricone event at the NFT in July could be perfect occassion to try and clear up the mystery? I'll see if I can ask him if there is an audience Q+A.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 09:58:18 AM »

Perhaps the Morricone event at the NFT in July could be perfect occassion to try and clear up the mystery? I'll see if I can ask him if there is an audience Q+A.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't go to that event, I don't live in Britain.  Cry

I would love to go and see Morricone live in person and the Eli Wallach interview sounded great. He's a very kind man from what I've heard, a gentleman.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 04:43:53 PM »

Now that the R1 DYS has been released, a whole cadre of viewers will be exposed to the documentaries for the first time, and they'll probably get exercised over the whole Sean/John/Juan issue. Rather than start yet another thread on the subject, I thought I'd bump this to the top of the heap so that people can review what has already been posted.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2007, 09:20:50 PM »

I noticed I started this thread while back before I saw the film.

Now that I've seen the movie a good 5 times, including once on the big screen, I can state my opinion on the subject; I definitely think Coburn's character is Sean. Then again you can call him John too, they're the same name. I just think Sean is more appropriate because he's Irish and John is anglicized, plus I like the name Sean.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2007, 02:06:59 AM »

And, as i already wrote before somewhere else, I prefer calling him Sean, too - for the same reasons you state; and then also because when I call him John in written, I get confused with Juan...

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 06:25:43 AM »

I'll add my two cents pretty soon too!

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM