Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 12:41:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  An Analysis of the Trading Post Scene
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Analysis of the Trading Post Scene  (Read 1906 times)
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:55:12 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHlkX8XTJRQ

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:13:45 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 01:48:31 AM »

I thought I had posted this video on here before but I may be wrong.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:38:40 PM by cigar joe » Logged

New music video: ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE https://youtu.be/p968oyMo5B0
www.ThibautOskian.com
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:32:13 AM »

Tavern Scene?Huh who the fuck would call it a TAVERN it makes me question the whole analysis, makes me want to analyze the analizer.

They are called SALOONS, BARS, or watering holes. lol. Cheesy, Grin

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:39:00 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »

That shouldn't be a problem. In a forum about a director with such a huge filmography everything has already been said, only not by everyone ... Wink

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:39:44 PM by cigar joe » Logged

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »

Very good link, thanks.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:39:18 PM by cigar joe » Logged
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »

Tavern Scene?Huh who the fuck would call it a TAVERN it makes me question the whole analysis, makes me want to analyze the analizer.

They are called SALOONS, BARS, or watering holes. lol. Cheesy, Grin

Frayling calls it a trading post. We usually refer to it here as the Trading Post scene. (Note: The score calls the song here "First Tavern.") I will change the title to Trading Post Scene

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:40:02 PM by cigar joe » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:15:17 AM »

If you did, it must have been very recently; the video was only posted to YouTube two weeks ago.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:40:21 PM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »

This is just semantic hair-splitting. A bigger complaint is the fact the guy (hereafter referred to as "the guy") doesn't know how to pronounce "Cardinale". Also, how can he constantly refer to the barkeep without mentioning he's played by the immortal Lionel Stander?

I'd say the general approach the guy uses is sound. He perhaps makes too much of Sam--it's possible he's an audience surrogate, but since he disappears from the scene when Harmonica is revealed this doesn't really hold water. I never pay any attention to him in that scene at all (although perhaps that's my mistake). The guy makes too little of Jill--it's true she is ignored by the two principal males, but that is only a temporary condition. Increasingly, they will become devoted to her. And even though she doesn't do much throughout the film, the fact of her presence is a center around which the men, including Frank, will revolve.

Finally, the guy doesn't appear to know that the Harmonica-rising-from-the-dead shot is not supposed to be in the definitive cut. We need the lantern-reveal not to reintroduce Harmonica to the audience, but to show that H is still alive.

Nice analysis of Leone-ene compositions, though.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 02:34:04 AM »

Well, his series is called "Camera Angles and Movement", after all. He's a very interesting technician to listen to, not a film critic.

www.ThibautOskian.com
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 03:11:26 AM »

This is just semantic hair-splitting.

But that one is a trading post. Not a tavern or whatever of the names cj enumerates, which limit themselves to selling of food and beverages.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »

It is not really an analysis, is it? I mean, maybe from the technical point of view, but there's much more to movies than that. Interesting watch nevertheless.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
noodles_leone
Bounty Killer

Lonesome Billy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »

It is not really an analysis, is it? I mean, maybe from the technical point of view, but there's much more to movies than that. Interesting watch nevertheless.

Well, his series is called "Camera Angles and Movement", after all. He's a very interesting technician to listen to, not a film critic.

For the record, he's actually a cinematographer, and his show is intended for filmmakers and cinematographers.

www.ThibautOskian.com
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »

But that one is a trading post. Not a tavern or whatever of the names cj enumerates, which limit themselves to selling of food and beverages.
Dude, it's a trading post AND a tavern. The fact that baths are available means its also a spa and resort! Friday nights they probably stage amateur theatricals. Maybe you missed the set-up shot showing the place in the middle of Monument Valley with nothing else around? Lionel Stander is offering his clientele One Stop Shopping--the prototypical American convenience.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 12:12:05 PM »

Dude, it's a trading post AND a tavern. The fact that baths are available means its also a spa and resort! Friday nights they probably stage amateur theatricals. Maybe you missed the set-up shot showing the place in the middle of Monument Valley with nothing else around? Lionel Stander is offering his clientele One Stop Shopping--the prototypical American convenience.

Dude, as usual you're English is faltering, as it is your logic. A trading post must  include the selling of beverages and food, as it  is a place away from peopled places. "a station of a trader or trading company established in a sparsely settled region where trade in products of local origin (as furs) is carried on." Among products of local origin I'd include also food and drink. You're being fooled by the name, but use logic.  While a tavern, quoting again your beloved "Webster" on line is simply:"an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold to be drunk on the premises". It has nothing to do with a trading post. That's that. Don't try none of your table-turning tricks.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 07:23:34 AM »

Leone invented the Kwik-E-Mart?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM