Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 26, 2020, 08:12:20 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Special Edition Restored Scenes
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Special Edition Restored Scenes  ( 9017 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #15 : May 21, 2005, 02:04:16 PM »

Jenkins - I think that really depends on if you're familiar with the movie or haven't seen it yet.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #16 : May 22, 2005, 05:24:44 AM »

To Unkernown: When ABC network televised GBU, it cut out the part of the gunshop targets being Indians visible for the first three gunshots, when the bullets spun the targets around.  ABC showed the targets only in profile and Tuco's last three shots, trying to be politically correct about Indians as targets or "foe", but that would have been day-to-day in the 1860s in the West.. 

Le Bon
Bounty Killer

You'd better be Bill Carson

« #17 : May 22, 2005, 03:28:18 PM »

I've often wondered how close the gunshop scene came to being cut.† Its only plot function is to tell us where Tuco got his gun from.† Has it ever been cut from any versions or TV broadcasts?

Yes this scene was cut from the original British cinema release, 148mins, along with three more. Maria being thrown off the wagon and walking along the corridor. The Betterville commandant looking out of his window and then talking with Angel Eyes after the roll call and when Tuco and Wallace arrive at the station the photgraph scene was cut. All these scenes were put back in when it was shown on British TV which is the same  as the U.S. cinema release 161mins.

Unkernown
Road Apple

« #18 : May 23, 2005, 12:22:59 PM »

I see. Cheers

jerkface
Bandido

You eat guts.

« #19 : June 10, 2005, 01:16:36 PM »

I think GBU works a hell of a lot better without all of the restored scenes. Granted, some of those restored scenes are beautiful. Particularly the one with Angel Eyes and the wounded soldiers. Still though, I think it was necessary that they trim some of the fat. The original cut is like a well-oiled machine.

"Well... that's just like, your opinion, man"
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #20 : June 10, 2005, 09:19:21 PM »

Yeah, but if the Confederate fort scene had always been in it, the picture would still have that well-oiled machine quality. I'll bet Italian audiences never thought it was superfulous, or that it could be deleted without harming the film.

Ya measly skunk! A-campiní on my trail and lettiní me do the work aní then shootiní me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Egdor

« #21 : June 11, 2005, 06:59:51 PM »

The scene with Angel Eyes at the Confederate fort is, I think, a necessary key moment in the film. Angel Eyes was always intended to be a malicious killer, but it would be ridiculous to portray him as a man incapable of human feelings. Lee Van Cleef is a very underrated actor; the way he just slightly shakes his head to reveal that he recognizes the pointlessness of the situation is very moving. Even a ruthless bastard like him, whose only interest in life is to get his hands on some sacks of stolen gold, is a human being at heart. The scene is the best  dubbed and has the best direction out of the added scenes.

The other scenes arenít as crucial, but some of them really ought to be left in, I think (such as Blondieís sunbath and the short sequences before and after San Antonio).

The Grotto scene is one Iíve never been able to enjoy, though. The way Tucoís friends just happen to show up out of nowhere precisely at the moment heís talking about them is just . . . silly. And the dubbing is terrible as well.

The Perfect Number Saga I enjoy, though honestly Iíve never got the point.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #22 : June 12, 2005, 04:36:00 AM »

In the grotto I think Tuco knows they are there and he's taunting them, reather than they just show up coincendentily.

The perfect number to kill them all with one revolver after he kills the seventh, is what he's getting at.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #23 : June 12, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »

I was fascinated by these scenes, and still am. It's wonderful to have them. Yes the dubbing is a little off, but I can look over that. The only thing that bugs me, is I wish included on at least one Region is the US Theatrical (the version we usually see) restored etc and included in the package. I am happy that I have both the R1 re-mastered SE and the R2 standard (non -SE). If I remember correctly most of the scenes re-instated (I believe the grotto scene is a bit of a grey area) were removed from prints without Leone's permission. Therefore, as I said before, it is very good to have these scenes available to us.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Egdor

« #24 : June 12, 2005, 12:02:53 PM »

The perfect number to kill them all with one revolver after he kills the seventh, is what he's getting at.

Yes, I got that, but itís not really funny. What makes three a perfect number? I always laugh out loud, though, just at seeing the amused expression Angel Eyes gives him. The scene is worth keeping because of that and the intimidating bird noises in the background.

« : June 12, 2005, 12:05:50 PM Egdor »
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #25 : July 08, 2005, 01:01:56 AM »

The grotto scene sucks! I mean, it's SO plainly miserable, it's awful, it stinks. Shoulda been extra material. Eli's overdoing his grunting and little guttural sounds, just like in the extended desert scene. And the sound is disgusting, as is the close-ups of his 3 companions, each, looking and sounding more stupid than the other - especially the last laugh from the 3rd guy - it sounds totally artificial and he's got the facial expression of a sheep.

Now, as I watch GBU with my friends, I feel embarrased as this scene comes along - its standard is way below the rest of the film, and drags down the overall impression, whereas Angel Eyes at Confederate Camp is on level. I wish there was some way one could make a version with all the SE-features, except the grotto scene.

There probably is, but I don't have the software or the DVD-burner...

: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines