Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2019, 11:22:10 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Special Edition Restored Scenes
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Special Edition Restored Scenes  ( 8679 )
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« : September 11, 2004, 09:46:26 AM »

I was wondering what scenes they restored? I have the old regular dvd... can anyone tell me which "deleted Scenes" from this dvd were restored into the new special edition... specifically want to know if the angel eyes arriving at the nearly deserted confederate fort scene and the setenza's gang 3 is the perfect number scene were restored... or even on the dvd at all... i'm disapointed they decided to redubbed only certain scenes, would have loved them to just stick all of em in there with subtitles.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
El Bon
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

« #1 : September 11, 2004, 02:26:45 PM »

All the deleted scenes on the regular DVD have been put back in the movie on the Special Edition plus the Grotto scene.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

« #2 : September 11, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »

Great! thanks for clearing that up for me.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #3 : May 15, 2005, 08:47:56 PM »

I'm reviving this thread to take up a matter that hasn't been discussed yet. It seems that some people welcome the inclusion of the restored material, while others would prefer to leave a classic the way it was. I can see arguments for both views. But this is kind of an all-or-nothing approach, and it seems to me that it is also possible to want to restore *some* of the missing footage without necessarily putting all of it back in.  Which of the restored footage, then, is essential, and which is less important?

I'll go first. I think the Grotto scene is unnecessary (although enjoyable). It adds some info helpful to the plot, but wasn't strictly needed, since we could all figure out that Tuco picked these guys up from somewhere and whether he knew them before or not isn't all that important.

The scene of Angel Eyes at the Confederate fort, however, seems to add a lot to the picture. We get not only plot info (why it is that AE later shows up at the Yankee fort), but several themes are touched on that will recur throughout the movie (and by "themes" I'm including one that's musical). We get another look at the results of the war, we see another dog, etc. We also get some more great camera work.

So, I'd say if I had to choose between 'em, I'd take the fort scene over the grotto scene.

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : May 16, 2005, 04:27:04 AM »

Could anybody please tell me what this "grotto" scene is?

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

« #5 : May 16, 2005, 07:07:51 AM »

The grotto scene is where Tuco meets up with his three old accomplices, and gets them to join him to ambush Blondie; where he states "if you need to work for a living, why kill yourself working?".  I could o without that scene, as all us moviewatchers KNOW that bad guys can always pick up fellow bandits somewhwere.  I'd definitely leave in the scenes with Angel Eyes at the fort, as well as the scenes just before and just after Mission San Antonio (the latter especially adds a lot, shows lots of young dead soldiers), and the restored scene in the desert with the boot.  I also would've cut out the end of the restored scene after Blondie kills one of Angel Eyes' approaching men: I never did really "get" three or six being a perfect number....

General Sibley
Gunslinger

AngelEyes, NOOOO!

« #6 : May 16, 2005, 07:46:28 AM »

The scene of Angel Eyes at the Confederate fort, however, seems to add a lot to the picture. We get not only plot info (why it is that AE later shows up at the Yankee fort), but several themes are touched on that will recur throughout the movie (and by "themes" I'm including one that's musical). We get another look at the results of the war, we see another dog, etc. We also get some more great camera work.

I think AngelEyes at the fort is great film, BUT I can see why they cut it.  This scene makes AE sympathetic, you see a human side to him.  Every other scene he's this unholy avenger from hell, like a Terminator - I prefer him being one-dimensional, unadulterated, unconscionable badass.   AngelEyes is one the all-time great movie villains, any genre.  "I'll ask the questions!" 8)

And what if your hand should shake a little?  And that Gringo so fast on the draw.
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

« #7 : May 16, 2005, 09:06:19 AM »

I actually liked the Angeleyes field hospital scene because it showed a more humane side to his character. Just like Blondie isn't perfectly good, his opposite number isn't 100% bad either. Another good thing about this scene is it keeps Angeleyes' story going. On the old version I always thought the hour long gap between Angeleyes interrogating Bill Carson's girlfriend and his reappearance at Betterville was a stupidly long time for a main character to be absent from the film.

I do think they should have put the extended Tuco torture scene in (it's amongst the extras on disc 2), even if it is very scratchy. That's always been one of my favourite scenes in the whole film, and the extended version improves on it further.

But what really gets me is not what they did or didn't put in - it's the quality of the new dubbing. With all the money they put in, they could have A) modified Clint Eastwood's and Eli Wallach's voices so they sounded younger and B) done a better job at mixing. The old Italian studios were clearly experts on dubbing - the voices blend in perfectly. The new dubbing just sits on top of the mix and sounds totally fake.

It's class.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

« #8 : May 16, 2005, 09:33:19 AM »

i agree with general sibley, doesnt really make him The Bad if Leone includes that scene, it is a great scene tho, esp when the camera pans around him.

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #9 : May 16, 2005, 04:15:49 PM »

I loved the deleted scenes and I've learned to tolerate the bad dubbing.

The Confederate camp scene is my favorite, because I can't watch the movie without it now 8) I think I know why Leone took it out for two reasons - Mentioning the desert and the camp.

It pretty much tells you what to expect and doesn't seem as much like a "Seat of your pants" kind of adventure, but because I'm already familiar with the film then I don't see what's wrong with it at all, I love it.

I've always liked Angel Eyes' journey before he met up with the boys and this just makes it better. I think it would be fun to do one of those "Chapter program" things on the DVD player to just play all of the scenes with Lee Van Cleef(Including the ones w/the others) just to see how his story holds up alone, because we're really watching two different movies with two different plots before it all comes together in the desert.

Mr.Cho-Cho
Chicken Thief

Something to do with death

« #10 : May 16, 2005, 04:50:26 PM »

I must agree, I think the confederate camp deleted scene is definetly the best addition, it so beautifully directed. Whereas some of the other deleted scenes i don't care for as much, as i don't feel they add that much to the film. Though being an avid fan of the film I had to see them, and glad i own them. Although i've only seen the SE version once and that was a few months ago so my opinion may change.

"You remind me of my mother. She was the biggest whore in Alameda and the finest woman that ever lived. Whoever my father was, for an hour or for a month - he must have been a happy man."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #11 : May 20, 2005, 04:18:05 PM »

Yup, that Confederate fort scene is a keeper. None of the other restored footage seems anywhere near as important. Does that scene actually change the film, though? Some people seem to think so.....

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #12 : May 20, 2005, 05:13:41 PM »

It shows how he gets closer to Carson's whereabouts and why he's at the Union camp.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #13 : May 20, 2005, 10:33:42 PM »

Right, it fills in plot points. But does it alter our perception of Angel Eyes, or the themes of the movie? Does having the cynical Dixie sargeant talk about the war spoil the later comments made by the Union Captain, or does it provide balance? Is the dog in the scene a Mutt Too Far, or does it rhyme nicely with the dog at Sad Hill? What about the playing of the mournful Soldier's Theme? In the shortened version, we didn't hear it until we arrived at Betterville, but with the inclusion of the Confederate fort scene we now get this cue much earlier. Do these repetitions deepen our enjoyment and understanding of the film, or do they make the film tedious? Is the film better with or without the Confederate fort scene?

And are all the other restored scenes, while interesting, inessential?

Unkernown
Road Apple

« #14 : May 21, 2005, 01:13:46 PM »

I've often wondered how close the gunshop scene came to being cut.  Its only plot function is to tell us where Tuco got his gun from.  Has it ever been cut from any versions or TV broadcasts?

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines